Just noticed this passage...

So I am rereading elantris for the first time in probably about 6 years, and I discovered an interesting sentence.  I am not sure eif this has been mentioned before so I am sorry if this is old news.

On page 41 when Hrathen is talking to Dilaf:

He would be Hrathren's slave, if that slavery would carry him higher. It was a very Fjordell thing to do - ambition was the one emotion Jaddeth would accept as readily as devotion.

This makes me think that perhaps devotion and ambition aremail connected in some way. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the Ire worried about shades?

This is all over the place and I apologize but I had to post to see if anyone else had caught that before.

39 minutes ago, Itchy Savant said:

This is all over the place

It'd even further apart when you remember that the Fjordell work with the Skaze, who are splinters of Dominion. That's three Shards thought of within seconds.

But to answer your questions, a few people have noticed mentions of ambition in the past, but we all appear to have missed where it said devotion as well...

For the Ire, Secret History Spoilers(just in case)

Spoiler

we've figured it's just that the Shades are cognitive shadows and they[the Ire] are based in the CR, so it's a valid concern. Also good to mention is that they were worried about Shades while camped near Scadrial, rather than Sel.

Also, you seem to have posted this thread twice

Edited by The One Who Connects

@The One Who Connects yeah it glitches and I am not sure how to remove it.

Yes I have a theory forming that ambition fled to sel ando merged. Could be why Odium when after Devotion and ND opinion afterwards.  I couldn't find any WoB that states the Dor is just Devotion and dominion.

And ah yes my bad I forgot about that detail with the ire. That being said the shades as cognitive shadows is very similar to Post Reod Elantris. 

Also Emperors soul spoilers:

Shai is rather ambitious, in fact all of forgery is rather ambitious when you think about it.

@Hemalurgic_Headshot

I haven't seen that theory, anyway you can link it?

And yeah I am finally rereading after having to skip the hope of elantris in Arcanum unbound (it was always my least favorite Sanderson novel) but I am loving it this time around.

1 minute ago, Itchy Savant said:

@The One Who Connects yeah it glitches and I am not sure how to remove it.

Yes I have a theory forming that ambition fled to Sel and merged. Could be why Odium when after Devotion and Dominion afterwards.

there should be a "hide topic" button for you in the other one since you made the thread. might not show up on mobile if that's what you're on.

Just now, Itchy Savant said:

Also why in every topic do any comments I post after a spoiler still end up in the spoiler? Tis very annoying.

You've got to manually click on the text area outside of the spoiler box.

I'll just say now that I'm objecting to "Ambition+Dor" on principle.

As for why Odium's choice of targets: Ambition was the number 1 option, but he couldn't find them, so he took out D&D instead.

Brandon Sanderson

He went after Ambition first, but didn’t find Ambition until after going after Devotion and Dominion. But Ambition was number one on his hit list.

Meaning that D&D (the Dor) came first, which is why I don't think any of Ambition's power could make it there

13 minutes ago, Itchy Savant said:

I couldn't find any WoB that states the Dor is just Devotion and dominion.

I actually somehow found one

Brandon Sanderson

The only magic that is location-dependent-- the ones who aren’t interested in this, just hum to yourself, okay? [..] So on Sel, we have AonDor. AonDor is based on the fact that the Dor, which is an amalgamation of Dominion and Devotion, has been pressed together and stuffed into the Cognitive Realm by Odium who didn’t want it to gain sentience, as Investiture will do if it is left alone.

Underline added for emphasis

Just now, Itchy Savant said:

I missed both of those :P  [..]  Still thinking ambition is tied to sel somehow

Don't worry, the second WoB was a question about Breath anyway. I only managed to find it because it said "Dor" in it

By all means continue with your idea. Something out of place usually means something when Brandon is writing, even if it isn't at all what we expect

• Chaos locked this topic