Full Feruchemists

Gizmosowner

Question

15 answers to this question

That is correct. In Era 2, the Terris are wary of the outside world. They try to keep it pure, but that hasn't been doing well, evident in Wax, Wayne, Miles, an other Twinborn. So true Feruchemists do exist, but basically live in hiding, which is why not many appear in the books.

The Inquisitors killed the Synod, all the known living Feruchemists, before the Catacentre, so it's entirely possible there were none at that point, and I don't believe we have confirmation that there are any Full Feruchemists in Era 2 (beyond apparently The Sovereign).

1 minute ago, Jondesu said:

The Inquisitors killed the Synod, all the known living Feruchemists, before the Catacentre, so it's entirely possible there were none at that point, and I don't believe we have confirmation that there are any Full Feruchemists in Era 2 (beyond apparently The Sovereign).

That's true. But they had to exist at one point, or Twinborn wouldn't be alive.

Just now, Captains Domon said:

That's true. But they had to exist at one point, or Twinborn wouldn't be alive.

Actually, I think that's a remnant of the Terris bloodlines with some meddling by Sazed. He unlocked the possibility of Ferrings, basically, or else the mixing of bloodlines caused those abilities to manifest even in non-Twinborn (which seems less likely). There were never Ferrings before, after all.

The synod was killed yes, but that was just most adult/practicing feruchemists. Simular to how Rashed killed all when he took the well. Many from the surviving terris should have the genes the same as then, so new ones should be born just even rarer.

Do we know if ferrings existed before? We didnt really see many terrismen, and in the final empire being a ferring is not something you would talk about if you valued being, well, alive.

I would think there is likely some hidden away, but not many. And if there is none, then the potential for one to be born is there, even if is even rarer. Wouldent be surprised if some among their researchers are full feruchemists.

Edited by dyring

Relevant WoB

WETLANDERNW

Why do the Twinborn in Alloy of Law have only one feruchemical power, when all previous feruchemists, in spite of breeding programs, could use all the metals? (from travyl) Or were Ferrings always part of the system and we just didn't meet them in Mistborn? (my addition) 

BRANDON SANDERSON

The Ferrings are a new development since Mistborn, as the Feruchemists have been interbreeding with the Allomancers. Basically, the Allomancy genes interfere with the Feruchemistry genes, breaking it down and creating the limitations we see in Alloy of Law. (His response to this was really fun—he found it a very perceptive question, and enjoyed talking about it. I wish I'd had my recorder handy so I could give you the full transcript instead of the boiled-down version.)

TAGS

mistborn ,  alloy of law ,  feruchemy ,  allomancy

From http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=632 (first question)

Are ferrying a supposed to be the natural form of feruchemy now? Like mistings are the natural form of alloamncy? I assume sazed changed its nature because full feruchemists would be able to easily control civilization through sheer superiority.

Edited by Gizmosowner

1 hour ago, Gizmosowner said:

Are ferrying a supposed to be the natural form of feruchemy now? Like mistings are the natural form of alloamncy? I assume sazed changed its nature because full feruchemists would be able to easily control civilization through sheer superiority.

As Brandon put it, it's interference between the Allomantic genes and Feruchemical genes, which never happened before because of Rashek's breeding programs that didn't let any Terris blood mix with the rest of the Scadrians.  Not exactly the natural form, just the one that you'll see most often now, unless a pure-blooded Terris shows up.

VenDell's comment about combining bloodlines was him referring to the fact that they were trying to birth a full feruchemist once more, untainted by the allomantic gene. This was being performed by what sounds like a highly questionable eugenics project spearheaded by the Terris Elders and assisted by the kandra.

If there are any full feruchemists around then the kandra don't know about them otherwise there wouldn't be a need to birth one.

45 minutes ago, Gizmosowner said:

I wonder why they would resort to breeding the purest blood lines instead of the Kandra just ask harmony to gift the population of ferris people's with feruchemy at full power

Because Harmony keeps saying he doesn't want to interfere, probably. Despite meddling quite a bit.

53 minutes ago, Gizmosowner said:

I wonder why they would resort to breeding the purest blood lines instead of the Kandra just ask harmony to gift the population of ferris people's with feruchemy at full power

Harmony doesn't meddle unless it's to keep things on track. Adding a bunch of full feruchemists isn't necessary to everything in harmony, and would actually probably make things worse by destabilizing the structure of power, which would require more interference from Harmony.

3 hours ago, Gizmosowner said:

But the Kandra might be helping the terris elders breed full feruchemists. Unless the Kandra are acting on their own accord without sazeds instruction

They might be, but even if they aren't, there's a good chance that Sazed would be okay with it. He doesn't mind people doing whatever they want as long they aren't too disruptive when they do it, like the Set are.