Bendalloy and cadmium savants

Slider

I have no clue if any has asked this and if it has I am obviously going to ask anyways, what would a Bendalloy or cadmium savant look like. What could they do? Would they just be able to make bigger bubbles or would it? What would it do?

A problem would be what happens to you while you're using them enough to become a savant. Bendalloy you'd get a whole lot done but time is passing for you quicker than others. You would die quickly relative to others. Opposite with cadmium. I suspect cadmium is the way some super old cosmere players live so long, just sit in a cadmium bubble for hundreds of years.

Also there's a WoB that says these savants could attach bubbles to them while they're moving, that would be useful.

QUESTION

So my quick question: Can you use Identity (I love the speed bubbles!) to anchor speed bubbles to yourself?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Uh, this is possible. That’s less a matter of Identity. What’s gonna happen there, like, the more someone uses the powers, the more familiar and intermingled with their soul the powers become, and they are able to accomplish things that others can’t. This would be like a mistborn learning to hover a coin, right, which they can do, but most think you can’t. That’s the sort of level we’re going with.

NECARION

So a savant could?

BRANDON SANDERSON

A savant could totally do that. The problem is, things moving in and out of a speed bubble, there’s a transference of energy. This is how we keep speed bubbles from irradiating people when light moves through them, right, red shift. And so there’s a transfer of energy directly from the spiritual realm, which means that moving with a speed bubble, you’re gonna run into that, and it’s gonna be, it’s gonna cause all kinds of problems, but it would be possible.

Edited by Extesian

14 hours ago, Extesian said:

A problem would be what happens to you while you're using them enough to become a savant. Bendalloy you'd get a whole lot done but time is passing for you quicker than others. You would die quickly relative to others. Opposite with cadmium. I suspect cadmium is the way some super old cosmere players live so long, just sit in a cadmium bubble for hundreds of years.

You would die sooner than others, but not any more quickly. You'd get to experience exactly the same amount of time you'd have experienced otherwise, it's just compressed or stretched. Cadmium/bendalloy do not change your rate of aging. It's like the twin paradox, the twin that traveled in space is younger and will die later, but that's because less time passed for him and he lived for a shorter time; he hasn't prolonged his life or cheated aging in any way.

17 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

You would die sooner than others, but not any more quickly. You'd get to experience exactly the same amount of time you'd have experienced otherwise, it's just compressed or stretched. Cadmium/bendalloy do not change your rate of aging. It's like the twin paradox, the twin that traveled in space is younger and will die later, but that's because less time passed for him and he lived for a shorter time; he hasn't prolonged his life or cheated aging in any way.

Agreed, I am just talking relativistic. But still if you want to be a cadmium savant you'll die long after your children. If you want to be a bendalloy savant you'll die long before your parents. Has its advantages for getting way more done in while things move slowly behind you for bendalloy, or getting to 'live' hundreds of years (Ender Wiggin style) for cadmium but relativistic effects are still a big factor to take into account for either.

On 06/03/2017 at 10:07 PM, Extesian said:

Cadmium allomancy is fairly recent on the whole Cosmere scale for certain major players, so it can't be the way the ancients have reached this point. We have been told though that travelling in the cognitive realm does afford some measure of time dilation.

• Chaos locked this topic