Sanderson-esque Magic systems

Aurimus_

I'm trying to come up with ideas for some sanderson based magic systems. I've got a few, but i'm curious as to what everyone else has done. So, lets hear it. What sanderson-based magic systems do you have? What are the flaws and limitations? Who can use the magic and how are they chosen?

Conservation of Energy based magic system:

Core powers: Channel energy from one source to another.     I.E. if you have 100 cups of water you can draw 1 Joule of heat from each one and channel it into another cup raising its's energy by 100 joules. Temperature increase of course would be influenced by normal thermodynamics.

Core energies currently fall into two categories Internal and External. Internal deals with Strength and Weakness in various traits and the channeled trait will revert once you stop actively influencing the shift. I.E. make your arms weaker to strengthen you legs.

External are phenomenon outside of the practitioner and the channeled energy remains even after the channel is closed.

Initiation:

Overcoming specific challenges (Each power has different powers) cause the gods to grant a  totem this totem is keyed to an individual and only that person can use it. (it is possible to have multiple powers at once) If you use the power too strongly the totem can break, of they can be stolen or lost. Either way the powers cannot be used until it is recovered. 

Flaws and Limitations:

1. Energy can not be changed I.E. Heat cannot channeled and Motion influenced at least not directly. To make something move faster Motion will need to be drawn from things around you.

1.a. Internal Traits cannot be traded. I.E. If you lose Muscle Strength you only gain Muscle Strength.

2. Practitioners can only focus one end of the channel I.E. Heat from the environment into target, OR Heat from a target into the environment. NEVER from a target to another target.

2.a. If your totem lets you influence heat one way you cannot earn the totem for the other way.

3. Even if the challenges are completed again a second totem will never be granted for the same power.

IF anybody has ideas for a direct cost to the practitioner for using the powers let me know

• 2 months later...
On 3/6/2017 at 2:46 PM, Tsidqiyah said:

Conservation of Energy based magic system:

Core powers: Channel energy from one source to another.     I.E. if you have 100 cups of water you can draw 1 Joule of heat from each one and channel it into another cup raising its's energy by 100 joules. Temperature increase of course would be influenced by normal thermodynamics.

Core energies currently fall into two categories Internal and External. Internal deals with Strength and Weakness in various traits and the channeled trait will revert once you stop actively influencing the shift. I.E. make your arms weaker to strengthen you legs.

External are phenomenon outside of the practitioner and the channeled energy remains even after the channel is closed.

Initiation:

Overcoming specific challenges (Each power has different powers) cause the gods to grant a  totem this totem is keyed to an individual and only that person can use it. (it is possible to have multiple powers at once) If you use the power too strongly the totem can break, of they can be stolen or lost. Either way the powers cannot be used until it is recovered. 

Flaws and Limitations:

1. Energy can not be changed I.E. Heat cannot channeled and Motion influenced at least not directly. To make something move faster Motion will need to be drawn from things around you.

1.a. Internal Traits cannot be traded. I.E. If you lose Muscle Strength you only gain Muscle Strength.

2. Practitioners can only focus one end of the channel I.E. Heat from the environment into target, OR Heat from a target into the environment. NEVER from a target to another target.

2.a. If your totem lets you influence heat one way you cannot earn the totem for the other way.

3. Even if the challenges are completed again a second totem will never be granted for the same power.

IF anybody has ideas for a direct cost to the practitioner for using the powers let me know

This seems a lot like sympathy from "The Name of the Wind"

I'm currently building one. See this post for more: 

It is passed on using your "Soulflame" to infuse artifacts with magical qualities, referred to as "Infusions". You they use more Soulfire to use the infusions. The limitations have to do with the rate at the which Soulflames grow, the necessity, time and cost of creating artifacts, and that if you run out of Soulfire you die. That and the fact that most people only have access to 3 or 4 types of infusions, so you can really dive deeply into each one.

As for who can use it? Anyone. If you are alive, you have a Soulflame. If you are Sentient, then with a bit of training you can use any artifact, as long as you have access to enough Soulfire.

This allows me to create a Cosmere-like universe, where all of the magic is connected, but different. They all use the concept of Artifacts, Infusions and Soulfire, but they all have access to different Infusion types, that all do different things.

And yes, it does bear similarity to the breath system from Warbreaker, as well as the advanced Allomantic machines from the Bands of Mourning, and the Ter'Angreal from Wheel of Time, but it is actually quite different.