What happens when you burn Hemalurgic Metalminds?

☫Kelsier☫

Question

Hi!

Kell here. So, I have a strange question. Let's say John is a Fullborn Feruchemist. One day he finds a tiny Hemalurgic spike. It's made of steel, so he decides to turn it into a Metalmind. When he stored his speed into it, he was also actively filling an aluminum Metalmind, so anyone could use the spike as a storage. Then, one day, a Mistborn or Coinshot/Crasher/whatever finds the spike, and burns it. It's a Feruchemical storage that he/she can use, so it obviously compounds, but what about the Hemalurgic part? What will it do? 

Ising the me of wanting the you to post opinion of you below.

15 answers to this question

Brandon has said that burning a spike could do some "weird things", IIRC.  I would be surprised if it gave you the Hemalurgic power, considering it's not spiking you (which is the whole magic system), but instead I'm thinking that it would somehow filter the Allomantic power you receive through the filter of…the victim's spiritweb, or rather the part of it that was ripped off?  Could be a really weird effect definitely, and I'd also wonder if it couldn't be fatal, like a bad metal.

7 minutes ago, Thinker said:

could a spiked misting [misting thats been given a power] have a power spiked out [taken away]? also once gold has been spiked out could person still heal if the spike takes that abillity? if both of these are possible, then i also have no idea what would happen

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

48 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

The identity of the hemalurgic charge would interfere with burning the spike unless it's being burned by the person who was used to create the spike, or possibly someone lacking spiritual identity.

Do we have a WoB saying that? It doesn't seem like there'd be enough Identity in the spike, and the nature of Hemalurgy doesn't seem to rely on Identity (in fact, it circumvents it entirely).

7 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Do we have a WoB saying that? It doesn't seem like there'd be enough Identity in the spike, and the nature of Hemalurgy doesn't seem to rely on Identity (in fact, it circumvents it entirely).

There's a WoB that says that you wouldn't be able to burn the spike unless it was made from you. I'll have to check.

CZANOS

Would anything interesting happen if an Allomancer Burned a Hemalurgic spike, or a Feruchemist Tapped one?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Er, well, it’s possible. But you’d have to be burning a Hemalurgic spike that killed you and took your power... Just like you can’t gain anything by burning a metalmind unless you infused it yourself

Edited by Spoolofwhool

12 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

There's a WoB that says that you wouldn't be able to burn the spike unless it was made from you. I'll have to check.

Ah, thanks. That has interesting implications for the way I'd thought of Hemalurgy.

6 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Ah, thanks. That has interesting implications for the way I'd thought of Hemalurgy.

You could potentially get around the identity problem if the person used to charge the spike or the person trying to burn the spike have no identity at the appropriate moments.

29 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

You could potentially get around the identity problem if the person used to charge the spike or the person trying to burn the spike have no identity at the appropriate moments.

Okay, so how's this for a thought experiment, then?

Get a Gold/Gold Twinborn (Bloodmaker?).

Give them a spike with Feruchemical aluminum so they can store Identity.

Have them store Identity and also tap their health stores from compounding (Brandon has confirmed this is one way to potentially survive being Spiked).

Spike out their Feruchemical gold ability, let them heal it back.  Can potentially repeat as many times as you want.

Give that Feruchemical gold spike (with no Identity) to a Allomantic gold Misting, have them burn it.

What happens?

4 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Cosmere breaks. Honestly, i have no idea or speculation too much we don't know.

Yeah, I can't even quite imagine.  I mean, theoretically, Preservation's power via Allomancy would be filtered through the Hemalurgic charge (which is I guess the part of the victim's spiritweb that contains their ability to use Feruchemical gold), so the misting would get… supercharged Feruchemical gold abilities, but only while burning?  A spiritweb that looks like a spider drank a case of Red Bull and snorted cocaine?  I dunno.

On 07/03/2017 at 2:40 AM, Jondesu said:

Have them store Identity and also tap their health stores from compounding (Brandon has confirmed this is one way to potentially survive being Spiked).

Spike out their Feruchemical gold ability, let them heal it back.  Can potentially repeat as many times as you want.

Give that Feruchemical gold spike (with no Identity) to a Allomantic gold Misting, have them burn it.

What happens?

could a spiked misting [misting thats been given a power] have a power spiked out [taken away]? also once gold has been spiked out could person still heal if the spike takes that abillity? if both of these are possible, then i also have no idea what would happen

is that a "I dont know" or a "mind blown"

also, a better example may be

On 07/03/2017 at 2:40 AM, Jondesu said:

What happens?

1- get a lord ruler

2- have him store identity

3- this step would be heal, but healing isnt needed, but question here too- would healing mean that the spike cant "pin" the ability to your sDNA

4- store identity

5- spike out any ability other than the gold [clarification on previous post- would a normal bloodmakers metal mind have enough of a storage to heal from that, which is why i assumed you needed the metal mind] and have them heal

6- give that spike to another mistborn or misting of the same metal and have them burn

answer- again i dont think we know enough about the process of burning and spiking to know for sure, though i think that as it has no identity, just the ability, then when spiked with it you would have the equivalent of pure lerasium, but for only one metal, and when burnt, it would be as if you were flaring duralumin, of having a nicroburst duralumin you while you were duralumining, but have the burn last for a lot longer. wonder what would happen if a nicro burst duralumined that new power, while you also duralumined. in other words, burning the spike alone would give you potentially 1000x the power of a regular metal, which may be what the "weird things Brandon talked about were: maybe to become a savant its not about the length of time you burn the metal, but to the intensity of which you do it [though still burning it regularly] meaning that you would instantly become a savant. or it would kill you, overload of weight- death, overload of breath- death, overload of speed, you travel at light speed and possibly die. the list keeps going.

thats just my guess thats off 0 evidence though :D