[Spoilers] Szeth

Betrail

In edgedancer we see szeth has a blurry image behind him. Why? Last i heard/checked didn't Sanderson change the end of WoR so that Kal did not kill him?

(Was under the impression this was caused by a shardblade till I remembered this)

Yeah szeth fell to his death, and unless it is just speculated that it was the faberial that causes it I can't think of anything.

Edited by Betrail

The afterimages are caused by the fact that after his resurrection his soul doesn't stick really well to his body. Anybody sufficiently Invested can see them; being closer to Cognitive like Lift is also helps.

Relevant WoBs.

Edited by Oversleep

It's supposedly because Nale brought him back long time after death (but before brain death = before Szeth's shadow went Beyond). If I'm not mistaken he did that on purpose so Szeth's connecion to his Oathstone is broken. But his connecion to his body also weakened during the process. 

I always wondered if what really made szeth no longer truthless... Was that the truths that he was accused of being false... And thus sentenced him a truthless... This truths were actually true. And because of the realization that he wasn't really truthless... But still did all those terrible things... He let himself die as the natural end to justice.

and since death met justices need, he thinks of himself as free now.

4 hours ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

Was Szeth's Oathstone magical? I was under the impression it was just symbolic/a way of proving ownership.

I think a lot of the point of Szeth's truthlessness is to ask whether it's ok to follow a code of honor that's inherently destructive. But I think it could be magical. This is a world where Honor invested bonds (choices to bind yourself to something external. Combine that with the idea that intent and your own view of honoring a bond is important (for example the fact that a KR meeting their oaths is actually up to the interpretation of both that KR and their spren, that different KRs/spren could view the fulfilling of the oaths differently) and it wouldn't surprise me if Szeth was actually magically bound by the oathstone, if only because he believed himself to be). And maybe then that's why Nale waited til after death, or simply why Szeth was no longer bound once he knew himself to be Truthy.

• Chaos locked this topic