Jewish Superhero!

Delightful

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2017 at 1:14 AM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I actually know of a Rabbi who had the mafia 'convince' a guy to give a get... but that was the Italian mafia, and in the 60s I think.

There's also a Sopranos episode about this. A Hasidic man refuses to grant his wife a Get, so the wife's father asks the local mob boss (Tony Soprano) to force the issue. This might have been based on those true events.

Beating up Get-denyers is an interesting motive for a hero, but I think the idea needs to be expanded on before it's really a story. If she goes out every night and brutalizes a guy until he agrees to the divorce, the story will get pretty repetitive. Also, guys like that don't make super-compelling villains. To really challenge this hero, you could pit her against a husband who isn't so easily intimidated -- a mobster-rabbi, who rules the neighbourhood with an iron fist. A man she can't even get close to, let alone beat up. A man whose wife is too terrified to even ask for a Get, because even if she managed to get one, he'd have her hunted down and killed. (Drawing some inspiration from The Yiddish Policemen's Union, by Michael Chabon. Great book.)

Now the hero has to take on this whole criminal empire, and possibly some superpowered mooks. And she'll have to deal with creating a post-Get safe haven for the wife.

But my favourite part of this idea, by far, is the opportunity for wordplay. You could put "Get" in every title. Part One: Get Gone. Part Two: Get Bent. Part Three: Get Even.