Computer Issue, Maybe?

Quiver

'kay so, this is weird, and I was wondering if myaybe someone here could provide some insight.

So... all day today, I haven't been able to get onto the Shard. More specifically, I haven't been able to access the Shard from my laptop; when I tried it via mobile, it works fine.

I just tried my computer again, and... yeah, anytime I type the address in the search back (17thshard.com/forum)... it doesn't work. It loads for maybe a second, then the web page changes to someone saying that they attempted to do a few times, but there is an issue with loading the page.

I was able to get signed in on my laptop by going through google and using one of the sub-forums... but anytime I try to go back to the main forum page, I get the same crash and "Nope!" message.

Any idea what's causing this? As I say, my mobile device works fine. Furthermore... the Shard was working completely on this laptop for the last few days; so I'm not sure what caused it to have a sudden case of breakage..

For bonus weirdness points: I accidently posted this thread in the Tech Support forum, since... I could only access the site via google searches, and that was the closest to here that I could get. After I posted it... everything seemed to be working fine again? Anyone have any idea what might have caused this?

Sorry to bother ya'all! Honestly... I don't GET technology at all, and honestly, whenever stuff inexplicably stops or starts working, I get really worried something major is going on tht I don't know about. So... anyone have any suggestions or insight?

14 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Maybe this is better in Tech Support

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/forum/17-tech-support/ 

Maybe someone there can help.

I actually moved this from the Tech Support forum, since... I wasn't sure if it WAS a Shard problem or just me. No one else I asked about it seemed to have had that problem. :wacko:

3 hours ago, Voidus said:

Clear cache and restart your browser?
Main fix if the issue is only affecting one device.

Er... restarting the browser =/= restarting the computer, right?
But, I did actually clear my history, cache etc a few times, restart, re-try... and got the same result. Until, inexplicably, it just started working as normal again.

So.. it's working fine NOW, but I admit, I get really worried when tech starts woring and not working inexplicably, so...

24 minutes ago, Quiver said:

I actually moved this from the Tech Support forum, since... I wasn't sure if it WAS a Shard problem or just me. No one else I asked about it seemed to have had that problem. :wacko:

Er... restarting the browser =/= restarting the computer, right?
But, I did actually clear my history, cache etc a few times, restart, re-try... and got the same result. Until, inexplicably, it just started working as normal again.

So.. it's working fine NOW, but I admit, I get really worried when tech starts woring and not working inexplicably, so...

Yeah just closing chrome/firefox/IE then starting it again, not the whole comp.
If you hadn't done anything before it started working again then my guess would be something on your ISPs end, no idea what though :P

43 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Yeah just closing chrome/firefox/IE then starting it again, not the whole comp.
If you hadn't done anything before it started working again then my guess would be something on your ISPs end, no idea what though :P

I'm not even sure what an IPS is. :mellow:

But... well, seems to be working now, and my (repeated) scans and stuff haven't turned up anything, so... could it just be a weird technical glitch? Or my computer struggling to load for... whatever reasons?

I don't know why this would happen, but yes, I am moving this to Tech Support as it is a direct (potential) issue with the site itself. I don't check other forums, but I do check Tech Support religiously for things that I need to be aware of.

Just off hand, it sounds like maybe there was a DNS lookup error? Not sure, that's just conjecture based on the OP, but I didn't really see a specific error message.

That said, if it WAS a DNS lookup problem, the issue was either at your ISP's end, or your DNS cache. If it's your DNS cache, you can run a command prompt (on windows - Start -> run/search for 'cmd' -> right click -> run as administrator -> in the black box type " ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotes). If it's on your ISP's end, you're screwed until they fix it.

On 3/4/2017 at 8:02 AM, randuir said:

I'm pretty sure an ISP is an Internet-Service-Provider, so basically the company you pay to have internet.

Yup