Poland - Warsaw and Krakow events 18/21 March

Extesian

25 minutes ago, Binnut said:

@Extesian I think that you need to split your spoiler content into multiples spoilers. Everything does not seem to fit in it confusingly enough.

After a while the text just continues under the next post for me.

Thanks Binnut. Yeah formatting has been a nightmare. I've edited it, seems to help but it's hard to tell from my mobile. First spoiler box still has a bunch of blankness it seems. But hopefully it's more readable. I should make sure I do a big post like that on the computer from now on!

Edit: ok I think it's fixed now, thanks!

Edited by Extesian

On 18.03.2017 at 6:29 PM, Rasarr said:

I've got a recording of the public Q&A - I'll put the link here

So I and @Kanrei did the transcript (don't forget to upvote him too!). Up there ^ is an audio file and here's a film:

And here's transcript:

Spoiler

Q: How is it, that man who created character who posses not only his own personality but many others, how did he create that personalities? How many aspects, author of this character with many aspects, has himself?

A: Ooh! Good question! So, Legion is a lot of fun and it's very weird. What happened is I really do think as a writer, I have all these weird voices in my head who are telling me to do different things.

One day I was talking to a friend of mine who writes a lot of psychological horror and I was talking about schizophrenia and I said "Hey, what if all those voices helped you out instead of drove you crazy?" and he said "This doesn't sound like a horror story. That sounds like a fantasy story, you should write that." So I did.

Q: When did you have most fun writing Legion? Was it when you created new characters, aspects, or creating new fabular twists or maybe some crazy paradoxes like hallucination with its own hallucinations?

A: Right, so the most fun for Legion... I don't know if I can say specifically what was the most fun, there were a lot of things which I'll go into. One thing that was really fun to me was this idea of coming up with a detective who was themselves more of a middle manager than a hero. A lot of detectives or people are these action stars, these Tom Cruise types and I instead wanted this guy to just be a manager who kept all these other crazy hallucinations targeted on the right thing. But I also wanted the Legion stories to have some sort of science fiction element to them. Because I always point out: "Why not have some sci fi or fantasy?" They always make a story better to me. So I’d say the idea that first made me want to write the Legion story was the idea of camera that can take pictures in the past.

Q: What would happen if an Allomancer burned Awakened metal? (laughter)

A: [(laughs) We start right with the really hard ones. It would be very difficult to do and other than that it's going to depend on who the Breaths are keyed to with Identity. I feel so sorry for Anna, you're gonna have to translate some very difficult things.

Q: In Emperor’s Soul Forgery lets one to change his own soul and basically create new past for himself, become another person. Does on Scadrial burning gold in controlled way would produce similar effect?

A: Heh, wow, you guys are good. So they are similar but different. I would say that no, gold is not gonna do this exact thing, they're working from the same fundamental roots but gold is a lot more bounded in way what it can accomplish .

Q: If Hemalurgy can be used to transfer Investiture regardless of the planet, is someone gathering pieces of different Investitures the way Hoid for example got lerasium bead.

A:  Yes.
So let me say on this, there might be some people here who are hearing this questions and going "whaaaaat?". So for those who don't know, all of my epic fantasy books are connected, you do not need to know any of this stuff to enjoy the books but if you are super nerd like we are, you can dig very deeply into the Cosmere which is the shared universe and there is a lot to learn, don't feel overwhelmed, you can just ignore it if you want.

Q: If someone not from Roshar spoke Immortal Words, for example a kandra, can he become a Knight?

A: So becoming a Knight Radiant is up the spren, right. [SPOILERS!] Saying the Ideals, swearing the Oaths, this are all things you have to do to convince a piece of sapient Investiture that you deserve it and that's the main thing.

Q: And kandra?

A: So the kandra would have to lots of fast talking and there are a few more difficulties involved but this is theoretically possible. For instance taking some pieces of Investiture offworld are difficult.

Q: Can an Allomancer burn metal which wasn’t created on Scadrial?

A: Yes.

Q: Do Cognitive Shadows not from Threnody must be afraid of silver too?

A: RAFO.

So for those who don’t know, Robert Jordan had this phrase he liked to use, and I felt bad telling people that so I printed off cards I could give them. Makes me feel a little bit better.

Q:Can you use Allomancy in Cognitive Realm?

A: Yes, you can.

Oversleep: Ok so if we spiked a Listener with a Feruchemical Nicrosil, could he store the spren and loose their form and then bond another spren and then switch them?

A: RAFO. In part because I don't wanna give spoilers for Oathbringer and this answer could spoil some little bits.

Just let me point out, you don't have to ask questions like this. It's OK ask to questions like this, but you don't have to.

Q: With genre becoming more mainstream with Game of Throne or American Gods which of your series (including Wheel of Time) would you like to see converted to cinema screen?

A: Its good question, I’m glad you asked it; a lot of people wonder the answer for this one, it will prevent me from answering it 7 or 70 times going through this line. As the basis for the question we sold the rights to almost everything. Holywood is very good at buying properties and very bad at actually doing anything with them. I sold Mistborn for the first time in like 2006. We are now on third company who had bought rights to Mistborn , but if I could pick anything I would have The Stormlight done as Netflix Original Series. So if your uncles are the Duffer brothers, have them call me. I should say that The Stormlight is currently in development as feature film, the screenplay has been turn in and it’s like yuuuge. So we will see if it can be cut down to feature length, if it can't we will explore tv series [???], but people who bought it want to try to make feature film.

Q: Are there in Cosmere any gas giants inhabited by people or others sentient beings?

A: Actually on the gas giants? (Yes or in their atmosphere) In actually atmosphere of gas giants? I do not have any currently planned. There are gas giants with satellites.

Q: How was it to do Wheel of Time, to finish such a giant?

A: It was scary. For those who don’t know the story, I did not apply to finish the Wheel of Time, I got phone call out of the blue one day from Robert Jordan's widow and what she said was exactly, I got her on the phone and she said  "I was wondering if you will be willing to finish my husband series". I was not expecting this at all so I replied "arrrgggahhhhh" , no seriously, I could barely speak, that night I wrote her email that said "Dear Harriet I promise I'm not an idiot". I was just so surprised, but I was also extremely honored. She asked me because she knew that I’ve read all the books since I was young man and I had this moment when I realized, if I screw this up it is a big deal! but if I turn it down and someone else screws it up, it’s a bigger deal, so I said yes because I figured that if he couldn’t do it I at last wanted it in hands of someone I knew, cared .

Q: Is Khriss on Roshar during Stormlight Archive?

A: Khriss is aaaa, RAFO.

Q: I follow up: does it mean she is is Shadesmar?

A: There is some trickiness in answering that.

Q: Ok so I didn’t read all yours books but judging by books I've read that married couple is particularly important to you, is it true?

A: Yes I would say. It is in part because I think that stories ignore family a little too much. . Too often I feel that stories that I read either ignore the family by making someone just an orphan with no family or ending the story when the hard stuff starts, such as being a couple.

Q: What that has to do with Legion?

A: Oh Stephen Leeds has a very, very large family, he just makes most of them up.

Q: So, I wanted to ask you what did you have for breakfast, but I guess my real question is if you have chance to see anything in Poland and how are you enjoying it so far?

A: So I ate breakfast at my hotel, I can't pronounce any of the food I ate, I'm being serious, yesterday I did an interview where for fun they had the American try to pronounce Polish words in my case the titles of my books and they filmed it. And it was really, really hard. You have letters I'm not convinced are actually letters but it was very tasty :) So far I have seen of Poland a room where I did interview for about 10 hours and nice serbian restaurant. But my guide is taking me around today to Old Town so today I will so some actually Poland. I should mention that I called my wife yesterday and she said "How is the weather?" and I said "I'm in Poland!" :)

Q:  Thank you for finishing The Wheel of Time. How do you think it influenced your writing style, did you adjusted your writing style through Wheel of Time to original writing style of Robert Jordan.

A: What an excellent question. So when I first started working on Wheel of Time, I tried to imitate his voice exactly, and it came off like parody. So instead I back off on trying to imitate every word and instead I tried to match the character voices as best as I could and this ended up working a lot better. I often say that it’s like the same actors but new director. It had huge effect on my writing as well I had to lift heavy weights so to speak and I feel like I came out of The Wheel of Time being much better at juggling a lot of different smaller viewpoints and combining them into the whole

Q:  Did you always wanted to be a writer?

A: I hated books when was young! No it’s true, I didn’t like books. In 8th grade I had a teacher whose name was - and this is true - Miss Reader. She assigned me to do a book report and I tried to just read the back of the book and do my book report on that and she caught me and said "No, no, you gotta actually read a book Brandon" and I told her "I hate books" all the books I read are about boys with pet dogs and then the dogs die. Tons of dead dogs all over. And she gave me a fantasy book for the first time. It’s a book called Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly and I read this and I felt absolutely in love and ran back to her and said "People write books about dragons?" and she said "let me introduce you to this place called library" and back then, during the era of dinosaurs when I was young, yeah we had this card catalogs, they listed all the books in library in alphabetical order and just went and picked up next book in line which was Dragon Flight by Anne McCafrey and Annie McCafrey got me super hooked and I read from that point every fantasy book I could find. So when I finally got published I send copy of Elantris to Miss Reader.

Thank you guys so much for coming!

When I was in Portugal for the first time last fall, and I was going to do book signing, the bookstore said “You may not want to do a Q&A, people can be very shy in Portugal, they may not have any questions for you”. And I said “You haven’t met any of my fans, have you? They will have questions.”

Tons of dead dogs all over. Link to TVTtopes, beware.

Edited by Oversleep

Q: When did you have most fun writing Legion? Was it when you created new characters, aspects, or creating new fabular twists or maybe some crazy paradoxes like hallucination with its own hallucinations?

A: Right, so the most fun for Legion... I don't know if I can say specifically what was the most fun, there were a lot of things which I'll go into. One thing that was really fun to me was this idea of coming up with a detective who was themselves more of a middle manager than a hero. A lot of detectives or people are these action stars, these Tom Cruise types and I instead wanted this guy to just be a manager who kept all these other crazy hallucinations targeted on the right thing. But I also wanted the Legion stories to have some sort of science fiction element to them. Because I always point out: "Why not have some sci fi or fantasy?" They always make a story better to me. So [???] idea that first made me want to write the Legion story was the idea of camera that can take pictures in the past.

Sounds like [???]= "I'd say the"

Thank you for the transcriptions and the video :) 

On 26/03/2017 at 9:57 PM, Oversleep said:

Q: If Hemalurgy can be used to transfer Investiture regardless of the planet, is someone gathering pieces of different Investitures the way Hoid for example got lerasium bead.

A:  Yes. 

Good work on the transcription!

The above WoB is gonna keep me thinking who the hema-Hoid is.

On 26/03/2017 at 9:57 PM, Oversleep said:

1 minute ago, maxal said:

I like the one about the movie... So the script was turned in and it is way too long: I am not surprised. Brandon would prefer a Netflix based series: I hope he gets his wishes. I would prefer it too.

SA and Netflix Original...this combination would be storming awesome!

Just now, mr42 said:

SA and Netflix Original...this combination would be storming awesome!

You bet it would. Netflix has just gotten big enough to undertake its own GoT :) I really, really hope they go down this way, then we would stop arguing as to which part of the story need to go and how it should be re-worked to work with the mass audience. A TV series is much more easily sold to viewers.

On 3/2/2017 at 8:56 PM, Extesian said:

Q:(seems to ask how the metals for mistborn were chosen, random , or was there something behind it)I was thinking, was there (...) random or was something behind it?

A: I wanted the metals that had an alloy, that was commonly used and is easily accessible to people in a pre-industrial society

Q:(?) [there is something about “copper” ?][a](When they go and discover more contents of the periodic table, is there a chance they’ll discover (?...))

A:There is a chance, yes.

Wait, is this saying that there's a chance there will be more than 16 allomantic metals?

@jofwu, probably not. Elements are determined by the number of protons. If they have different numbers of neutrons, then it becomes an isotope. If they have different numbers of electrons, then it becomes an ion. I would guess the question involved what would happen if you burned something elementally pure, but not "standard" copper.

5 hours ago, jofwu said:

Wait, is this saying that there's a chance there will be more than 16 allomantic metals?

I feel sure I've seen a WoB saying there are only 16 other than god-metals and their alloys. I can't find it anywhere but I'm almost certain. But I wonder if it's possible for other metals to have allomantic effects on other worlds? I doubt it but it's the only option i can think of other than god metals.

Just gonna leave this here....

[–]angwilwileth 7 points 1 year ago 

Since there's a Feruchemical metal that stores calories, is there one that stores the need to eliminate waste?

[–]mistborn[S] 5 points 1 year ago 

Not yet.

@jofwu@Extesian

On April 1, 2017 at 5:26 PM, The Flash said:

No way. A metal to store poop in. What would you do when it gets full... And imagine being a compounder... you know what? I'm going to stop thinking about that right now because just no 

Super tap your reserves to get diminishing returns, store and repeat. Empty Metalmind in minutes, and all is well. Make sure to be near a bathroom just in case.

Brandon has said that not all power combinations are useful, so this metal compounded would be one of those.

On 4/1/2017 at 6:26 PM, The Flash said:

No way. A metal to store poop in. What would you do when it gets full... And imagine being a compounder... you know what? I'm going to stop thinking about that right now because just no 

It would probably have some medical uses under the right set of circumstances...why am I thinking about this?

Edited by Kandra-in-disguise

What the storming storm - guys, that's a shitty topic. Let's talk about something else.

Like... ever since I read Legion (so about a week or two) I wondered whether gold/copper Twinborn could do such a thing. Gold savant and probably tapping nicrosil to augment it more.

Hm... Soul Forgery allows you to overwrite your history and become such an 'aspect' of yourself. Could we combine it somehow?

10 hours ago, maxal said:

I can't believe I missed this one until today. And so Adolin/Shallan dies :(

It stays in line with Sanderson's answer to my question about love triangle, that there will be confusion who is attracted to who, but I dont see it as definite end of Adolin/Shallan relation or that Shallan will end with Kaladin.

You know, as Sanderson said about confusion, there is possibility of Adolladin too.

Adolin decided to spend time in prison using cold water for baths to support Kaladin.
And Kaladin noticed Adolin wearing cologne very fast! Definitely there is some attraction there ;P

5 minutes ago, Kanrei said:

You know, as Sanderson said about confusion, there is possibility of Adolladin too.

Adolin decided to spend time in prison using cold water for baths to support Kaladin.
And Kaladin noticed Adolin wearing cologne very fast! Definitely there is some attraction there ;P

:lol::lol::lol:

In all seriousness, I sincerely doubt it will go down this way.

12 hours ago, maxal said:

I can't believe I missed this one until today. And so Adolin/Shallan dies :(

Nah, I don't think so. The pair that asked the question were really excited about the Shalladin pairing, so that might've affected the answer. Pretty sure if they've been so excited about Shadolin, the answer would be "The will be Shadolin moments in Oathbringer". :lol: 

I'm all for the One True Threesome of Adolin/Shallan/Kaladin, myself.

I'm pretty sure the chasms chapters are considered Shaladin moments. And they do not destroy Shadolin.

Maybe Oathbringer will have some Kaladin and Shallan doing things together and alone (combination of Gravity and Illumination can let you travel to the enemy camp and not be noticed so some espionage perhaps).

8 hours ago, Rasarr said:

Nah, I don't think so. The pair that asked the question were really excited about the Shalladin pairing, so that might've affected the answer. Pretty sure if they've been so excited about Shadolin, the answer would be "The will be Shadolin moments in Oathbringer". :lol: 

I'm all for the One True Threesome of Adolin/Shallan/Kaladin, myself.

Than we need an equally excited pair to ask about Shadolin -_- When is the next signing? Is it Toronto? :P

4 hours ago, Oversleep said:

I'm pretty sure the chasms chapters are considered Shaladin moments. And they do not destroy Shadolin.

Maybe Oathbringer will have some Kaladin and Shallan doing things together and alone (combination of Gravity and Illumination can let you travel to the enemy camp and not be noticed so some espionage perhaps).

While I do agree the chasm novella most certainly count as Shalladin moments, I doubt Shallan working with Kaladin as a partner would count. Thus, when Brandon says there will be Shalladin moments, I do expect something with a given romantic angle. Mind, it might not mean it will pan out into a relationship, it might be just too teenagers trying to see if there is a spark, but it certainly does seem to go into this direction.