Extesian

Poland - Warsaw and Krakow events 18/21 March

139 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Blightsong said:

Are there recordings or transcriptions of the event from earlier this week?

So I'll break it all down as I was everywhere on both events.

Friday: Polish fansite interview. It's currently being handled by my colleagues from the site.
Saturday:

• Q&A which was recorded by a lot of people. I think it has been put up on youtube already. I'm working on transcript with @Kanrei. I'm working with @Rasarr's recording.
  • Signing line: I sent my notes from it to @Kanrei and he did have recorded it but the quality is not great (we were too far away). I put up a post on Polish FB group for people to send in their questions but so far it's ineffective.

Tuesday:

• Q&A was definitely filmed but I haven't really got time to check anything so right now I don't know what's happening with the Q&A. Although we have audio in @swieczq's record.
  • Signing line was recorded by @swieczq and a person from Polish fandom (but only @swieczq got everything). @Extesian is working on transcript or has already finished.

BTW, I got Brandon's pen which he signed books with! He ran out and then his Polish guide turns to me (I was sitting by waiting for the line to end) cause he knew me from Warsaw, hands me the money and asks to buy more markers for Brandon. So I did. And then Brandon gave me cosmere pin for my trouble :D

Edited by Oversleep

15 hours ago, Oversleep said:

After the signing I asked whether it's possible to store gravity as Connection - my fourth RAFO. We asked about Hoid using lerasium to rewrite himself in a way other than granting Allomancy and Brandon said lerasium couldn't give other powers BUT he once again danced around the "Had Hoid burned lerasium to become Mistborn" thing. Even after I asked for clarification on that since it creates confusion he stood firmly by "you have seen him use Allomancy and that's your answer".

Couldn't Hoid be using Allomancy because he brought some Southern Metalminds to Roshar? He does not have to have had eaten the Lerasium to use it, all he needs are the right unkeyed metalminds to play with people's emotions...It's just a different hypothesis, since Wax and Wayne does happen in the gap between the first five SA books and the second five (so, around the same time period), and we don't know when Hoid went down and stole his S. metalminds, it's possible that this was the method he's using instead (I don't really think it is what he's doing in the WoR scene, but it is another possibility that you guys should consider...)

Edited by Kandra-in-disguise

On 18.03.2017 at 11:43 PM, Yata said:

Just for clarity. Are you sure he said unkeyed and not unsealed?

I got confirmation: question was about unkeyed metalminds :)

8 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I got confirmation: question was about unkeyed metalminds :)

This could destroy a theory of mine and show a light in the unsealing debate

@Extesian, I can't edit the transcript and I could help with questions I heard.

Also, one guy just told me that during the signing he asked whether everyone at the Shattering were human and Yoleneese and Brandon said yes. That's very strange since I could swear at lest one Shard is nonhuman. I'm currently trying to get out of him when did he ask that so we could pinpoint it on the recording.

Edited by Oversleep

8 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

@Extesian, I can't edit the transcript and I could help with questions I heard.

Also, one guy just told me that during the signing he asked whether everyone at the Shattering were human and Yoleneese and Brandon said yes. That's very strange since I could swear at lest one Shard is nonhuman. I'm currently trying to get out of him when did he ask that so we could pinpoint it on the recording.

Thanks, I've updated the settings for anyone to edit, hopefully that works? Let me know if not! I haven't had the chance to finish it yet so there may be a few missing WoBs amongst the signing lines I missed.

And yeah I would be very surprised if there were no non-humans at the Shattering. If that were certain the only explanation would be that a non-human picked up a Shard after the Shattering either by one being left behind or by picking it up once an original Shardholder died. We've definitely been told there's at least one non-human Vessel. Interesting.

41 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Also, one guy just told me that during the signing he asked whether everyone at the Shattering were human and Yoleneese and Brandon said yes.

Maybe the phrasing was a bit different and Brandon understood it as "human or Yoleneese". If there are non human races there, the answer would be consistent with what he said before. The recording will be very important here. 

On 3/17/2017 at 3:50 PM, Oversleep said:

I asked a ton. I can barely remember what I did ask. I was very excited so my memory is hazy.

I got RAFO'd when I asked about the Shard which didn't Invest, the one floating in the space, the one that just wants to hide+survive (I'm not really sure that we know all these things apply to the same Shard).

hm... I asked about technological progress on other worlds than Scadrial:
Taldain was progressing technologically... but then Autonomy did the isolation thing and it stopped.
Roshar is headed towards magicpunk since they've got a ton of Investiture flying around.

I asked about AI/sentient machines in cosmere... but without the recording on hand I don't want to feed you mistruths.

I asked a lot about AonDor - turns out you could write a higher-level programming language with that. I think he said there is a way to make functions (so object oriented programming). I asked about going deeper to access the assembler and he said that there are things we don't know about Sel yet and why magic works that way but my impression was he said he'll dig into it eventually.

I took a shot at the Terriswoman in Warbreaker, he asked what do we think and I said one of the nurses. He didn't confirm but said something like that I shouldn't be able to make that guess and was surprised I did. I think he said that we will eventually figure this out/we'll get to know her.

We asked about films, Brandon said that he'd want to do cameos where he dies every time. Like ultimate Redshirt.

Oh, and he said my shirt was awesome. I agreed.
And I may have left my printed list of questions in his room.

This is you guys I guess?
-Aslydin bit at 16:15/17:58. Though I'm unclear on what "one of the nurses" means, as by my recollection was there only the one nurse that Vivenna employs. Were you referring to Siri's handmaidens?

Edited by Kurkistan

7 hours ago, Kurkistan said:

This is you guys I guess?
-Aslydin bit at 16:15/17:58.

Indeed. We uploaded it to youtube yesterday but I wasn't supposed to share it until Polish subtitles were added. But since you already found it I guess I can share it now:

7 hours ago, Kurkistan said:

Though I'm unclear on what "one of the nurses" means, as by my recollection was there only the one nurse that Vivenna employs. Were you referring to Siri's handmaidens?

Apart from the one that handled Lemex I may have meant also the woman that cared to Vivenna after Vasher got her off the streets. You know, I was really excited and my brain was kinda melting trying to juggle "how do I pronounce that" (you can hear me choke up on very simple words like "societes") and the sheer awesomeness of finally meeting Brandon ;)

10 hours ago, Extesian said:

And yeah I would be very surprised if there were no non-humans at the Shattering. If that were certain the only explanation would be that a non-human picked up a Shard after the Shattering either by one being left behind or by picking it up once an original Shardholder died. We've definitely been told there's at least one non-human Vessel. Interesting.

The guy says it was about 18:45-19:00. Q&A started about 18:00 and lasted like 30 minutes. So we should check the period between 15 minutes after the end of Q&A and 45 minutes after the end of Q&A.

Edited by Oversleep

14 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Also, one guy just told me that during the signing he asked whether everyone at the Shattering were human and Yoleneese and Brandon said yes.

I found it, the question starts around 1:57:45 on the recording, It's a little hard to make out, but it ends with Brandon saying "not all human, but all from Yolen".

I'll update this post when i'll listen to it few more times and get more out of it.

Edit:

It goes roughly like this:

Q: I wonder, if original shardholder was (another?...) not from...
A: Not human or...?
Q: Human, but not from Yolen
A: So... no, everybody was from Yolen.
Q: Sapience was(...)?
A: Not all human, but all from Yolen.

A little bit further, there is another interesting question (or actually answer):

2:06
Q: Could You tell me something about Cosmere, that we don't know?
A: Oooh boy, that is so hard, people ask this all the time and I get running out of things, hmm... There are shards whose shardpools are not on a planet they currently inhabit. At least one.

What do You think, is it a mention about shardpool in Sixth of the Dusk?

Edited by swieczq

48 minutes ago, swieczq said:

I found it, the question starts around 1:57:45 on the recording, It's a little hard to make out, but it ends with Brandon saying "not all human, but all from Yolen".

I'll update this post when i'll listen to it few more times and get more out of it.

Edit:

It goes roughly like this:

Q: I wonder, if original shardholder was (another?...) not from...
A: Not human or...?
Q: Human, but not from Yolen
A: So... no, everybody was from Yolen.
Q: Sapience was(...)?
A: Not all human, but all from Yolen.

A little bit further, there is another interesting question (or actually answer):

2:06
Q: Could You tell me something about Cosmere, that we don't know?
A: Oooh boy, that is so hard, people ask this all the time and I get running out of things, hmm... There are shards whose shardpools are not on a planet they currently inhabit. At least one.

What do You think, is it a mention about shardpool in Sixth of the Dusk?

Nice work! That makes sense with the Yolen one and I like the Shardpool one! Perhaps Odium?

If anyone gets a chance, I have a Nightblood question that I'd like to ask, for the next event, though it is a bit extensive.  I'd also like to see the thoughts of the minds here.

We know that Vasher an Shashara tried to base Nightblood's awakening on the Shardblades they had seen on Roshar.  Is there a reason they chose the command "Destroy Evil" rather than modeling the command on the ideals of one of the Radiant orders?  And as a follow up, if the command had been given in "Ideal" format (Ie: Value Journey before Destination, Choose Life before Death, Show Strength rather than weakness, Protect those who cannot protect themselves, protect even those you despise, so long as it is right, etc, etc), and assuming it worked, would Nightblood have developed a personality more similar to that of the Spren-type the Ideals bond too?  An artificial Honorspren, or other, as it were?

And if yes, on Roshar, would a bond to Nightblood give the user access to that Radiant order's Surges?

1 hour ago, Extesian said:

Nice work! That makes sense with the Yolen one and I like the Shardpool one! Perhaps Odium?

First of the Sun jumps to mind for the Shardpool as the obvious instance, but I think it would have to be a remnant of when a Shard had Invested in a system long ago, and we know that Odium doesn't like to Invest like that and when he did, he got trapped in the Roshar system. We only know of a couple other Shards that moved around: the Survival Shard could be moving and hiding, Ambition and one other Shard aren't currently on worlds. I'd think one of them would be more likely.

Crazy speculation, I've wondered if Honor's perpendicularity is on another planet in the Roshar system, which is why it's mobile on Roshar (but it would be stationary on the other world). I had tossed it out, since we know Honor's pieces are all on Roshar, but if the perpendicularities can be on other worlds, then it opens the possibility up again.

12 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Crazy speculation, I've wondered if Honor's perpendicularity is on another planet in the Roshar system, which is why it's mobile on Roshar (but it would be stationary on the other world).

What if not on another world, but on one of the moons?  Or it's location follows the orbit of the specific moon.  I remember some mention of the Orbit of the moons being special, important, and artificial.

Does anyone remember if Rock's story about seeing Hoid emerge from a shardpool specified time of day, unless it was specifically Cultivation's pool?