Poetry Corner, I Guess

Mr. Staccato

I don't know if this has been attempted before (and if it was - I'm sorry, I'm not one for necroing threads) but I know quite a lot of sharders here are actually very, very brilliant poets and I thought it would be good if we could, like, post our poems in a single place. Newcomers could try their hand, experienced ones can read through and critic stuff like that. And more importantly, we can just write what we want when we want it. I'll start - here's one I wrote, it was originally for someone I knew and now it's just for someone, anyone.

We Were Once a Bridge

We can't expect things from each other.
 Except for the songs
 meant to drive us away.
 I mean it, reach out and hold my hand
 All I'll hold is the distance
 between us.

Twisted fingers
 Broken glances
 Stories told underneath these covers

Warm red sunsets
 Deep blue midnights
 Let's just settle for well used lovers

When all is said and done

Hold out your hands and reach for the distance.

Maybe that way you'll find out
 That there's nothing
 to grab
 on to.

• 1 month later...

Of Devil and Feykind

And it lives and it dies withheld in our chests - a circle like a merry-go-round. But nothing about it is merry, and rarely is it actually round. If you are lucky, you get to hold it in the palm of your hands like a butterfly with damaged wings - and you can croon to it, sing softly to it with shallow words and sentiments like passing headlights in the dark.

For it is a fey thing to love. It isn't human.

Gravity may keep the earth in a tether, but love free and unconstrained will splinter even that which keeps us aground. For it is not light and air but crushing defeat and monstrous force.

Love is the bullet in the cartridge, the recoil of a shotgun that breaks the shoulder holding it aloft. It blackens the teeth, lines the throat and lungs with scum. It is the bittersweet kiss of ampethatimine's peak, the acrid smoke of cannabis.

And yet even after all this we breathe it freely like god's own grace.

So may it break us then like lego pieces for we foolishly accept it like candy and medicine. Let us open our chests with surgical knives and damage each other in turn - with broken ribs and fractured spines. The coruscating sound of thunder in the beating of skin and the pulsating of muscle, the song that follows every man's woe and every woman's whimper.

Love is not for humanity - it is for devious gods and martyred poets.

But maybe - just maybe, we are in fact devious gods.

Wow. Deep stuff. I can applaud.

If not love, what else is open, open to the human race.

Can we, the flesh that live on this dirt, know not of what we face?

There are only so many other things that are felt within our breasts.

Everything else is felt elsewhere, in the north, south, east and west.

Without love, what becomes of greed, for greed is the love of that green.

Without love, where is pride, having others look up, to the things that they've already seen.

Without passion, there's no ambition, without zeal there's no tradition.

If love is that which unbinds all, then how did we come to fruition?

It's the bullet, a cavity, a drug sure why not, so is everything else that we know

But it's the context that makes them seem less of threat, their intentions it will show

A bullet in the chamber, the last of its kind, it's accuracy will rule what comes next

For find its mark it must or else, those friends, family, neighbors become wrecks

A cavity of the teeth, of the mind, of the soul, formed when a person overdosed 

But it's also a warning, a caution to follow, invest but don't become so engrossed

Drugs loose the mind from of the whims of the world, the trials and darkness all around

But once at the end, pain isn't the one, you want as your guide from the ground

It is God's grace, how He keeps us strong. But realize that His children we are

The princes and princesses of a divine being, but of course, with "human" mixed in the jar