Conquestor

LG31: Day 1 - Dancing Mist

Our tale begins. The mist has set in and a solemn figure strolls through the dancing mist. Shoulders hunched, she makes her way to an imposing building, almost obscured by the veil. The Canton of Finance, the bank of the Final Empire. The mist’s fingers caress her body, swirling around her, almost...comforting. But no amount of comfort will help her, for she is to con an obligator.

At the foot of the building, at the bottom of the stairs, she gives a deep breath and shudders. First step. Second step. She makes her way up through the dancing mist. A door, an imposing door, an imposing steel door stands in her way. A shiver, and a push. She’s inside. Men look up as she enters, an assortment of nobles and obligators. One raises an eyebrow, staring at her suspiciously. She smiles faintly at him and makes her way through the lobby, a spacious room with benches and tables along the side. She struts through the middle, hoping she looked confident until she comes to a large table at the end. The obligator at the table looks up and asks in a husky voice, “Appointment?”

She nods and replies, “Fadrex city, I came to request an investment for a shipment to Fadrex City”.

The man nods and looks down at his ledger. “Name?”

“Ariel Gadth, related to the Hastings,” came the reply.

“Everything seems to be in order, please make your way to the office at the end of the next hallway, ignore the bloodstains if you will”.

Bloodstains? She wonders, “My thanks”.

She pushes through to the next hallway, speed-walking to the office now. She enters the room without knocking, with a flourish of her hair. “I believe I am expected?” she announces arrogantly.

The obligator in the room smiles, “Indeed…”. He studies her carefully and nods to the table next to him. “You will find all you need there, allow me to finish off this paperwork.”

Two agonising minutes, and yes! She is homefree! She nods curtly at the obligator, snatches up the bundle and promptly leaves.

She exits the establishment, wary of eyes watching her. The mists are there to greet her and she breathes a sigh of relief. The mist didn’t seem as animate as before… something was off. A slight rustle to her left. She turns, another to her right. She quickens her pace, eyes darting. Shadows in the sides of her vision, a glint of metal here, a shine there. Heart beating, hands sweating. She breaks into a frantic run….and runs into a body with a dull thump, she falls back onto the gravel, dropping everything.

“You didn’t think we would be this easy to fool did you?”

A scream. And the mists keep dancing.

LG31 has begun! You have 48 hours to choose someone to lynch.

blu_1489363200.png

Spoiler

Player List

1. Phattemer

2. Jondesu

3. Elenion

4. Silverblade

5. ARinian

6. Straw

7. Hemalurgic Headshot

8. Bartimaeus

9. Amanuensis

10. Ecthelion

11. Magestar

12. Droughtbringer

13. Randuir

14. Stick

15. Szeth

16. Joe

17. Orlok

Rules Clarifications:
PMs are not open! Only Kandra may make PMs, and only two per cycle.
Allomantic Tin only finds out the action, not the person targeted as well.
Ties will result in a coin flip.

Edited by Alvron

• Alvron locked this topic

Wait, we just killed Vin? :o That one Inquisitor just outperformed an entire army of Imperial stormtroopers.

Looking over the player list, we have a lot of newer or less-active players in this game. While that isn't necessarily bad, it means that generating meaningful discussion might be more difficult than usual. I suggest that we run a strict Contribution Crusade this game in order to keep a base of active players late into the game when they're needed most.

Tomorrow I hope to get a list of role-specific suggestions out.

Poke vote time! SB are you watching the game? @Silverblade5

Before anyone poke-votes me, I'd like to tell everyone that I'm here, following the game, and plan to remain active ish :P

So. Who to lynch this turn? The turns are kinda long, so we don't need to rush on it. But lets get the discussion going. Not that there's much to discuss....I hate Day 1s 

Yeah, I'm active, no need to hit me with the contribution crusade. 

I don't have any suspicions yet (I mean, we haven't been plating for half a day, anyone who claims to have suspicions now is probably an elim). I do have some general thoughts and opinions on what might be a smart thing to do.

First of all, I recommend that Kandra try and make sure they use their two PM's each cycle. PM's are wonderful things that allow you to gain more info, and talk over ideas without immediately having to throw them into the thread for all to see. Kandra are also going to be useful  for getting new metal vials where they'll do the most good, but remember that confirmed Kandra is not confirmed Noble.

Second, the metalurgists. There are unfortunately no metals that have only utility for the village. That having been said, I'd still attempt to get the most out of the role, if not from the start, then at least once you've found someone you're pretty sure is village who can act as stockpile ( @Elbereth, @Darkness Ascendant, @Conquestor, I assume you can't give metal vials to yourself as a metalurgist?). The reason for this is that it's going to be important for the village misting to remain stocked with metals at all times, as you'll never know when a game-winning vote comes down to whether someone still has some brass, zinc or copper left.

Before the last part, I'd quickly like to give the Arinian Disclaimer: "I am not certain about any of the numbers to follow. If it seems like I'm stating something as fact, it is merely because I forgot a 'maybe' or a 'probably'."

So, the number of elims. If the 20% convention is used, there's 3, or maybe 4 elims. However, since they've got a faction conversion ability, I suspect there are going to be less of them to start with. There will almost certainly not be 4 of them (unless there's a massive amount of pewter among the village), and I suspect there are only going to be 2 of them. This does depend on the number of half-skaa around.

So, those are my thoughts on the rules and what might be a smart thing to do. If you see something idiotic that I've missed, or a fatal elim-exploitable flaw, don't hesitate to point that out and throw a lynch vote on me(and for that matter, remember that my name is 'Jondesu' for purposes of lynching).

Edited by randuir

6 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

A metallurgist cannot be a misting as well. And Metallurgists can only give vials to mistings. So no point in giving to themselves.

Does this mean a metallurgist could go around figuring out who is and isn't a misting by just randomly tossing metal vials around and seeing which arrive?

6 hours ago, Elenion said:

Looking over the player list, we have a lot of newer or less-active players in this game. While that isn't necessarily bad, it means that generating meaningful discussion might be more difficult than usual. I suggest that we run a strict Contribution Crusade this game in order to keep a base of active players late into the game when they're needed most.

With all due respect, Elenion, I have to say I disagree vehemently with this suggestion. You are quite right that we have a newer and marginally less active player base, and that activity is something we should all try to do something about. However, this is a very small game, and there are two factions with kills, and two potential sources of vigilante kills, along with a lynch each cycle. I firmly believe that if the village has any chance at winning this, we need to get as much information as we can, as quickly as we can. 

A strict contribution crusade is an awful way to get information. It may keep more players present, but it eliminates the source of information gathering for the village. A credible lynch, based on evidence, forces players to defend themselves, and forces other players to defend them. This allows us to work out ties between players, or to catch contradictions in views. A lynch based on the contribution crusade, on the other hand, requires no more defence than raising one's hand and saying "I'm here, please don't lynch me". It may keep a couple more players around a little longer, but they won't have any information to work with, and with a game of this size with as many kills, I'm not terribly worried about inactivity anyway.

The last thing I'd like to point out is that the contribution crusade is an excellent thing to hide behind. It allows a player to appear as if they're contributing to the game, helping the village, whilst actually providing no views of their own, and so not exposing themselves to being caught. As such, I'm going to vote on Elenion.

7 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

Long live the crusade!

Mage

Oh No.  I've been poke voted.  

/sarcasm

46 minutes ago, OrlokTsubodai said:

A strict contribution crusade is an awful way to get information. It may keep more players present, but it eliminates the source of information gathering for the village. A credible lynch, based on evidence, forces players to defend themselves, and forces other players to defend them. This allows us to work out ties between players, or to catch contradictions in views. A lynch based on the contribution crusade, on the other hand, requires no more defence than raising one's hand and saying "I'm here, please don't lynch me". It may keep a couple more players around a little longer, but they won't have any information to work with, and with a game of this size with as many kills, I'm not terribly worried about inactivity anyway.

While I agree that a lynch purely based on purported inactivity isn't necessarily the best way to go, I don't think that a strict contribution crusade is a bad idea.  People don't like seeing there names in red; However, I'd say to everyone who wants to place votes that encourage activity, well founded suspicions/attacks tend to bring people out more than a simple poke vote.

7 hours ago, Elenion said:

Poke vote time! SB are you watching the game? @Silverblade5

7 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

Long live the crusade!

Mage

7 hours ago, Elenion said:

That worked surprisingly well!

SB Phatt @phattemer

This — This is a very bad idea.  This doesn't encourage activity – it encourages blurbs.  If people think they can get away with simply saying, 'I'm here guys.  (Random Vote)', then odds are, that's all they'll do.  Especially in LG's, it's important to watch people who are lurking.  It's an easy thing for Elims to kill inactives, and just stay quiet themselves.  

With any luck, I'll have something more solid up by the end of the day.

26 minutes ago, Magestar said:

If people think they can get away with simply saying, 'I'm here guys.  (Random Vote)', then odds are, that's all they'll do. 

One way to discourage this is to pair the 'poke-vote' with a question to the person you are voting for. To demonstrate: Straw (@Straw), what is your opinion on Elenion's insistence on a strict contribution crusade?

Doing it that way, you encourage more participation than just "I'm here guys, please don't lynch me". Also, Straw, as I don't think we should be doing poke-votes when the game has been going for less than 24 hours.

Edited by randuir
Forgot to proofread