Conquestor

8 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Hey, I practically gave it away in the QF sign ups. I told you I wouldn't kill you D1 unless I had a really good reason. :ph34r:

Huh it's really funny thing with Szeth being Preservation.

23 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

Sorry I didn't manage to work in Locke finding Neer's purse on him, Joe. :P Not quite enough time, because Arin kept changing his order

25 minutes ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

So? I killed you as well.

Also to say this was not me who decided to kill Joe. It was decided by number 3. 

Also want say thx to El good write up. And you really well described my character. I wanted him to be sincere believer in Lord Ruler.

Edited by Arinian

Wow. Just wow. That was  quick game. I guess I was right about the different pacing...;)

That aside, I accept your apologies, @Amanuensis and @OrlokTsubodai. It was fun playing with you all. This game was certainly madness, but that's what happened when you overthrow an empire.

And ash fell from the sky...

Well, that ended suddenly. :D But it was fun while it lasted.

I find it humorous that both sides were sure that they would lose, and that I was implicated by a completely-unrelated kill on Rand.

If this game is redone, I think Kelsier needs more actions. It's hard to burn 2 charges of Atium and 8 metals using only one action per night, while night-kills wipe out a quarter of the players each night. ;)

1 minute ago, Elenion said:

I find it humorous that both sides were sure that they would lose, and that I was implicated by a completely-unrelated kill on Rand.

If this game is redone, I think Kelsier needs more actions. It's hard to burn 2 charges of Atium and 8 metals using only one action per night, while night-kills wipe out a quarter of the players each night. ;)

It was me who killed Rand... khm... Sorry Rand!

1 hour ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

But where is the spreadsheet?

In the rules. Also here, if you must. 

56 minutes ago, Arinian said:

Huh it's really funny thing with Szeth being Preservation.

Also to say this was not me who decided to kill Joe. It was decided by number 3. 

Also want say thx to El good write up. And you really well described my character. I wanted him to be sincere believer in Lord Ruler.

I'm very glad you liked it. 

40 minutes ago, Elenion said:

The issue wasn't as much the action as the kills. :P Which I'll address tonight or tomorrow, at length. 

Su'gal studied his new face in the small hand-mirror. He'd had to do a bit of reconstructive work around the eye-sockets, and he was happy to see that there where no traces left that could have indicated the cause of death of his former body. He sighed. The Dougal Contract had been one of the best contracts he'd had in the past couple of centuries. Lots of autonomy, little actual work. It had almost been a sort of retirement. Unfortunately, circumstances beyond his control had brought the job to an end prematurely, and now he he needed to head back to the homeland and report on the events of the past two days.

Su'gal wrapped his new cloak around him, pulling the hood over his head. He'd prefer if no one recognized him. Explaining the continued survival of the person he was impersonating would be difficult enough if he had had the time to study his history and mannerisms. As it was, all he knew was that the man had been a magister in the city, and a reasonably well regarded one at that. He kept his thoughts on such mundane matters as he walked of into the mists. He'd rather not contemplate the consequences of the father's death, yet. that would be a worry for the council.

Anyway, a great, albeit extremely short, game everyone. Just out of curiosity, Aman, when you said there where some thing you'd thought you'd have picked up on as elim tells in LG30, was the fact tat I didn't seem to consider dying to an elim kill one of them?

Edit: Heh, the evil doc was interesting to read. I dropped the ball a bit by trusting elenion too quickly, but I'd like to point out that at one point I correctly predicted the elim team while in the dead doc. Go-go hindsight powers!

Edited by randuir

9 hours ago, randuir said:

Just out of curiosity, Aman, when you said there where some thing you'd thought you'd have picked up on as elim tells in LG30, was the fact tat I didn't seem to consider dying to an elim kill one of them?

Well, that's not a specific tell for you, since it's a relatively normal thing for newish players to do when they're eliminators. Any potential tells you do have I'm going to keep to myself for now, since I need to see how you behave in more games in order to establish a pattern. Plus, I wouldn't want to tip you off if it's something I can use to catch you later on.

Also, @OrlokTsubodai, I wanted to respond to your last post during the night but I couldn't get on in time to do it. I just want to say that you really shouldn't feel embarrassed or angry at yourself because of the lynch on HH. When I looked over his posts, there were a few things that I acknowledged could point to him being an eliminator, so it's not like it was unfounded.

At the end of the day, we are all human, which means we make mistakes, and it's important to remember that Sanderson Elimination is just a game. No one should be walking away from here with bad feelings, only good ones. For the record, I was also very impressed with your participation this game, as well as your analysis of Wilson in AG3. I was so happy that someone finally scrutinized her, I practically woke up my neighbor because I was cheering so loud. It was a shame that people didn't follow the lead, but if they did, you would have very likely had saved the village that game. I'm probably getting off track here, but I just wanted to illustrate that you're better than you give yourself credit for, and that you should be proud.

Back to this game, though, your effort to generate more discussion was phenomenal. It was very nice having another player I could rely on to do that, because my level of activity does become exhausting quick. I try not to slack off when I play these games because I really do feel strongly about that sense of responsibility that I mentioned a turn or two ago, but it feels great when I know that someone else is capable of stepping up to the plate when I'm craving a break, or just some time to myself.

So thank you, and everyone else who remained active this game. 2 players out of 17 being completely inactive and only 1 true lurker is pretty dang good in my book.

Edited by Amanuensis

Right, given that LG32 is up, I believe it's time to give my closing comments. 

Distribution

This was… not the best distribution. :P It was mostly mine, to be clear, with DA helping. Essentially, DA rolled for one of each role, and then I nixed the ones which I didn’t want in the game, rather than coming up with a full set of balanced roles as I normally would have. This didn’t work terribly well.

I did nix the Hazekillers, which I don’t regret - Hazekillers are fairly OP in that they protect the target and kill the eliminator putting in the kill. With few eliminators, and Ruin wanting to kill the Skaa as well, I didn’t particularly want to give the village that kind of power. 

What I didn’t do was nix the Assassin or the Steel misting (preferably the former). Which I should have. The biggest issue in this game was that there were relatively few players for a LG, and far too many kills. It didn’t happen, but there could have been five kills in a single night. Six in a cycle is more than a third of the players. That’s a bit much. :P So that did not turn out well.
The game, actually, was balanced in favor of the eliminators as it stood, fairly heavily. It’s just that the kill roles landed on the elims before they killed enough villagers to win the game for the elims. 

The other lesson I learned regarding distribution this game was to be a bit more careful with roles for new players - Bart and Szeth were both wild cards, and I gave both important roles. In particular, the only player in the game who went completely inactive was Preservation. >> (Also, that was very unfair to Ruin, had I considered it more thoroughly: had Szeth been active, no one wants to kill a new player. I agreed to the roll of him as Preservation to avoid the potential of a dictator Preservation, but that’s not worth the price for Ruin.) 
Likewise, Bart and Arinian both killed every time. If I’d given the kill role to a more experienced player who could see how fast the deaths could stack up and wouldn’t kill every time, we likely would’ve had a considerably slower game. 

Other Mistakes

One, I completely neglected to mention to Mage that he was a Metallurgist until he died. :P So that is two fewer vials than could have been in the game. It ended up not mattering because the game ended so early, but even so. 

Two, this one’s on Conq, but bears mentioning: Originally, Ruin was going to be a secret role. Until Conq posted the rules without taking out Ruin, it would’ve been secret, and the game would have been much more fun. (There’s a reason why none of the protects, except Hazekiller, protected against everything - that way, it was easy to slip in the fact that Preservation would be completely unprotected from Ruin’s kill, while seemingly protected from everything else except vigkills.) I do regret that, but we worked with what it was. 
There was a part taken out from the rules, as well, which was still part of the game: if Ruin died, it would pass to another person, until the game ended or Ruin killed Preservation. Again a moot point, though, as it didn’t end up being used. 

Other Notes

Small note: I am somewhat sad I didn’t get to do more writeups for this game. I had plans for six or ten more, and then the game ended a bit earlier than I was expecting. :P Perhaps I’ll use the rest in another game. We’ll see.

Particular calls out: Jondesu, Arin, and Bart for killing one elim each. Ecth, for putting up with another C1 death. Joe, for being an excellent Kelsier despite being very busy. Orlok, for signing up as a 17th player at the last minute. Also, props to both Aman and Orlok for driving discussion this game. Without either of you in the game, it would have been a significantly quieter game, which would have been sad. You both invested several (on the order of 4-10, at a guess?) hours per day into the game, and it showed. 

Particular thanks to DA for helping with this game, and a wonderful comic. 

Thank you all for playing this game. I certainly had fun, and I hope you did. I look forward to seeing you in future games. :)

• 1 month later...

About time to close this game. Congrats to the Nobles for winning and thanks to Elbereth and DA for GMing! It was a short game, but I think it highlights a lot of things that future GMs should try to take into account while balancing (as El put up above).
Also, sometimes these things just happen. My first game as an Elim, our team was wiped out without killing a single villager. So even in a perfectly balanced game, sometimes luck is just on your side.

If anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get a hold of GammaWilson, Metacognition or myself. Not only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can.

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone over here in our 
Art of Game Creation thread as well. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about!

Thanks again to everyone that played and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games!