Hoid Story Tie-In

Blightsong

3 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

That has disturbing implications.

I think it's referencing how Dalinar was doing things he thought the Almighty had directly approved of, when in fact Honor was long dead by the time Dalinar interacted with the recordings.

Or not, and Honor was secretly evil :ph34r:

Just now, Blightsong said:

I think it's referencing how Dalinar was doing things he thought the Almighty had directly approved of, when in fact Honor was long dead by the time Dalinar interacted with the recordings.

Yeah, I know what it's referencing. But the fact is that the people did really questionable things. It makes me wonder if there is going to be some backlash because if what Dalinar did.

Also makes me wonder whether Hoid is aware or just was dropping a random story. 

Just now, Blightsong said:

I agree with the first part. Dalinar thought the Almighty wanted him to trust Sadeas. We saw how that turned out. 

1 minute ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Yeah, I know what it's referencing. But the fact is that the people did really questionable things. It makes me wonder if there is going to be some backlash because if what Dalinar did.

Also makes me wonder whether Hoid is aware or just was dropping a random story. 

Wouldn't the betrayal at the Tower be considered the backlash of trusting in the visions to literally? 

Just now, KereDerek said:

I agree with the first part. Dalinar thought the Almighty wanted him to trust Sadeas. We saw how that turned out. 

Wouldn't the betrayal at the Tower be considered the backlash of trusting in the visions to literally? 

Yeah.  I'm just wondering if there are more long term goals.

Just now, Spoolofwhool said:

Yeah.  I'm just wondering if there are more long term goals.

Yeah, I could see him mistaking the whole "Unite them" in a big way. That has potential to have major backlash if Dalinar doesn't interpret it correctly. 

7 minutes ago, IntentAwesome said:

This also brings to mind the fact that the Alethi revere soldiers as the highest calling because of the battle in the afterlife. What if the Alerhi now have to face the idea that this may be false and take responsibility for their warring? 

These are the kinds of religious themes I really respect Brandon for exploring, and that it took me years of regular re-reads to make the connection speaks volumes for the depth, care, and skill Brandon puts into writing these novels.

39 minutes ago, IntentAwesome said:

This also brings to mind the fact that the Alethi revere soldiers as the highest calling because of the battle in the afterlife. What if the Alerhi now have to face the idea that this may be false and take responsibility for their warring? 

We've seen the Alethi already ignore the visions (albeit edited versions) from Dalinar saying the Almighty is dead, and I think they're likely to continue to ignore any such revelation of the Almighty's death until they can see proof. Until such time I find it unlikely the Alethi will suddenly turn from their warring ways.

Having said that, it could be foreshadowing of events to come in later books, if/when they realise what Dalinar has seen is true. 

I think the most likely result of the revelation the Almighty is dead is the class system based on the eye colour will turn to chaos as the dark-eyes realise the light-eyes are not being elevated to a better position by the grace of God, and they're really people just like them

On 25.2.2017 at 5:23 AM, Blightsong said:

These are the kinds of religious themes I really respect Brandon for exploring, and that it took me years of regular re-reads to make the connection speaks volumes for the depth, care, and skill Brandon puts into writing these novels.

Brandon is exploring the themes, but as you pointed out, he does so in a very subtle manner. It's almost as if he isn't really comfortable dealing with those topics, so he puts them away elsewhere - or perhaps it is that, combined with the conscious desire not to make SA too religion-centric.

• Chaos locked this topic