Oathbringer 3rd draft 81% done

bdoble97

So exciting I've mentioned this before but feel like I should say something again now that the third draft is 81% done. How can it take till November for the book to come out. I'm sure that the artist Michael Whelan is in talks about doing a cover for a while now. Even if he does a front cover inside cover and back cover like I've heard rumors about.  Will it really take him 9 months to do 3 covers. Most of the artwork inside the book is done by Sanderson's long-term collaborator (apologizeI forgot his name) so I'm sure a lot of that stuff is already planned out and possibly some done already. So unless Tor will only publish it in November I can't see how the book would take another 9 months to be published if it's already at 81%

This is based on the publisher's schedule.  They set this schedule years in advance to avoid conflicts between similar books of the same genre.  Brandon has stated himself that he is not at the GRRM level where the schedule gets changed for him, so November it is.

The guys a machine but continues to put in consistent work despite the fact that Brandon is working on a schedule with plenty of time to spare and continues to work diligently only makes me respect him more. The guys a phenomenon who cares a great deal for his fans.

I check the status pretty much everyday, trust me your not the only one who has a case of fanboy Shivers haha :D 

2 hours ago, bdoble97 said:

So exciting I've mentioned this before but feel like I should say something again now that the third draft is 81% done. How can it take till November for the book to come out.

I'm pretty sure he's said that there's four or five drafts. The final draft or two is just going to be spelling, punctuation, etc. so that won't take as long. But it still takes time.

And there's a lot more art in these books than just the cover.

And they like to get the audiobook out on release day now. I'm sure they don't wait until it's all totally finished to start with that, but still.

Printing and distribution takes time.

Lots of reasons. :)

Same reason musicians don't release albums until around 3-6 months after they've been recorded (depending on the band). A lot goes into promoting the album from the record label. In this case, it's books and publishing companies, but it's a similar kind of process. 

And as others have said, this is just the 3rd draft. He might have a couple more. 

4 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Because it's 81% of the THIRD draft. IIRC Stormlight is done in five drafts.

Im sorry what is IIRC 

3 hours ago, AerionBFII said:

The guys a machine but continues to put in consistent work despite the fact that Brandon is working on a schedule with plenty of time to spare and continues to work diligently only makes me respect him more. The guys a phenomenon who cares a great deal for his fans.

I check the status pretty much everyday, trust me your not the only one who has a case of fanboy Shivers haha :D 

Haha fanboy Shivers thats great.

2 hours ago, jofwu said:

I'm pretty sure he's said that there's four or five drafts. The final draft or two is just going to be spelling, punctuation, etc. so that won't take as long. But it still takes time.

And they like to get the audiobook out on release day now. I'm sure they don't wait until it's all totally finished to start with that, but still.

You are killing me with all logical reasons why it will take untill November to come out haha

8 hours ago, bdoble97 said:

So exciting I've mentioned this before but feel like I should say something again now that the third draft is 81% done. How can it take till November for the book to come out. I'm sure that the artist Michael Whelan is in talks about doing a cover for a while now. Even if he does a front cover inside cover and back cover like I've heard rumors about.  Will it really take him 9 months to do 3 covers. Most of the artwork inside the book is done by Sanderson's long-term collaborator (apologizeI forgot his name) so I'm sure a lot of that stuff is already planned out and possibly some done already. So unless Tor will only publish it in November I can't see how the book would take another 9 months to be published if it's already at 81%

That's how long it will take to the team to finish editing the book unless something major comes across and Brandon has to re-write large chunks of it.

6 hours ago, jofwu said:

Brandon should use Grammarly... great punctuation tool, even for the free version.    Pants off Microsoft spell/grammar checker!!!

Been using the free version for a while, and it's great.

Plus, if it helps oathbringer out faster, nothing better!

46 minutes ago, axcellence said:

Brandon should use Grammarly... great punctuation tool, even for the free version.    Pants off Microsoft spell/grammar checker!!!

Been using the free version for a while, and it's great.

Plus, if it helps oathbringer out faster, nothing better!

Spell checkers don't catch everything also you shouldn't trust them to which is why they need to go over it manually anyways. Also, the check is also to make sure their aren't any last-minute tweaks to fix as well as any sections to cut if need be.

19 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Spell checkers don't catch everything also you shouldn't trust them to which is why they need to go over it manually anyways. Also, the check is also to make sure their aren't any last-minute tweaks to fix as well as any sections to cut if need be.

I agree... my comment was a bit tongue in cheek... I was just noting that Grammarly has been a pretty good tool since I adopted it.

19 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Heh... irony...

Spell checkers don't catch everything. Also, you shouldn't trust them which is why they need to go over it manually anyways. Also, the check is to make sure THERE aren't any last-minute tweaks to fix as well as any sections to cut if need be.

FIFY

58 minutes ago, rmart said:

Heh... irony...

Spell checkers don't catch everything. Also, you shouldn't trust them which is why they need to go over it manually anyways. Also, the check is to make sure THERE aren't any last-minute tweaks to fix as well as any sections to cut if need be.

FIFY

The first error should've been a comma, not a sentence break. "Also" should not start a sentence. The second error is a common fault of mine, I usually screw up words which sound the same because of how I plan it out mentally. Finally, there's nothing ironic about the fact that I made grammar errors when talking about the fact that grammar checkers aren't perfect. What would be ironic is if I had said grammar checkers are perfect, had run my response through a grammar checker, and there had still been errors. 

hmm... I'll have to look up the definition of irony again. I know it's a commonly misused word.

It's all good though, I just thought it was humorous that you had posted spelling and grammatical errors in a thread discussing spell checkers.

Peace.

Spell checkers don't catch everything, and also, you shouldn't trust them to, which is why they need to go over it manually, anyways. Also, the check is also (A third "also" in a sentence and a half is inelegant?) to make sure there aren't any last-minute tweaks to fix as well as any sections to cut if need be (sentence length..?).

The first error should've been a comma, not a sentence break. "Also" should not start a sentence. The second error is a common fault of mine, I usually screw up words which sound the same because of how I plan it out mentally. Finally, there's nothing ironic about the fact that I made grammar errors when talking about the fact that grammar checkers aren't perfect. What would be ironic is if I had said grammar checkers are perfect, had run my response through a grammar checker, and there had still been errors. 

28 minutes ago, rmart said:

hmm... I'll have to look up the definition of irony again. I know it's a commonly misused word.

It's all good though, I just thought it was humorous that you had posted spelling and grammatical errors in a thread discussing spell checkers.

Peace.

In the spirit of the discussion, I've done a check with Grammarly.  It picked up only "there" and one comma (all highlighted in red).  Other than that, I've picked up other errors, which I've highlighted in green to show that there are other errors or refinements that a human mind can pick, e.g. sentence length, style, etc.  Incidentally, I've always believed that an "also" can be used to start a sentence.  So, @Spoolofwhool wasn't wrong in initially using it, but perhaps overcritical in declaring it to be in error. B)

Certainly, it is correct to begin a sentence with also. All adverbs (also inclusive) can be used at the beginning of a sentence with the proper punctuation. For instance, the first sentence in this answer begins with an adverb. Other examples are:

Furthermore, we have exhausted all the other options.
Definitely, you can use my car.
Surely, he could do better.

On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Spoolofwhool said:

I can't spell to save my life and would be lost without spell check at my work period my grammar is horrible as well not on this site plan other sites have been accused of being a little kid or poorly educated because of my spelling and grammar issues. 

25 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

I can't spell to save my life and would be lost without spell check at my work period my grammar is horrible as well not on this site plan other sites have been accused of being a little kid or poorly educated because of my spelling and grammar issues. 

Being a non English native speaker, I once had issues with people calling me out for improper use of a few given words. To make a long story short, there are words and expressions I do not entirely get the full meaning of I have been known to use and angrily called out for. People thought I was being mean, dismissive and downright improper when I had absolutely no idea why my wording was so offensive to begin with. 

I am also terrible at verb tenses, often going from past to present in the same sentence. If I re-read myself very carefully (which I'll admit I don't always do), I will usually end up picking those out, but they always give me a hard time as they all sound the same, in my head.

I would be lost without the spell checker, though I am getting better.

Thus I sympathize with you: it is terrible to be taken for an immature individual when the truth merely is we are struggling with our writing. I try to look pass the grammar and the wording to get a sense of how old someone is. I never took you for a kid as many things you have said wouldn't have come out from the mouth of one.

Sad thing is my French writing is leagues above my English ones, it pains not to be able to reach the same level.

3 hours ago, bdoble97 said:

Well i just watched a new YouTube video of Sanderson in Boston I believe and he did say that the books have 5 drafts. So I guess it wont be out untill November. He also read from a interlude that was extremely funny.

The last two drafts won't take nearly as long, though, they go quickly since they're really mostly to check spelling and grammar, and maybe phrasing of a few things, instead of checking continuity and overall story flow.  The drafts will be done a good while before the books are released, though, since they then have to finish the artwork, do all of the layout and typesetting, and then get it off to the printers.  Actually being released in November seems quite likely, though, since he's on schedule.

• Chaos locked this topic