Crem=mist

Farnsworth

In all planets besides Roshar, dirt is just dirt. Only on Roshar is it called crem. This cannot be a random name for ordinary dirt, so here's my theory.

Crem is like mist, in the sense that it's the physical manifestation of a shard. Since the  Highstorms are Honor, I think Crem is cultivation. Ideas?

I think crem is more of a ceramic, clay-like thing.  For example, Dalinar orders the scratches in the ground filled with crem.  You wouldn't fill them with dirt, but you might fill it with clay.  Anyway, we already know the physical manisfestation of Honor and Cultivation- shardblades.

1 hour ago, Brgst13 said:

Crem is just dirt, except that it falls during Highstorms.  

Can't be quite that simple. Dirt doesn't become hard as stone when you dry it out. :)

I don't know if there's a direct WoB on it, but we have pretty strong reason to believe crem was around long before the Shards arrived. The highstorms existed before, and the crem seems to be a fairly natural thing. Therefore, I doubt it can be compared to Scadrial's mists.

8 minutes ago, jofwu said:

Can't be quite that simple. Dirt doesn't become hard as stone when you dry it out. :)

I don't know if there's a direct WoB on it, but we have pretty strong reason to believe crem was around long before the Shards arrived. The highstorms existed before, and the crem seems to be a fairly natural thing. Therefore, I doubt it can be compared to Scadrial's mists.

Here. I think this breaks the theory.

LINDEL

Crem and the Purelake on Roshar. Do they have any connection to Cultivation?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Both existed on the planet before Cultivation arrived.

QUESTION

But both are influenced by her now?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, she influences both.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

1 minute ago, Figberts said:

@Spoolofwhool

So crem was originally uninvested, but now is? I like that idea. Thanks for the WOB! 

That's not what it said. It says she influences it. That could mean she's invested in it, or maybe that she can control the concentration of it in highstorm water, or something else.

30 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

That's not what it said. It says she influences it. That could mean she's invested in it, or maybe that she can control the concentration of it in highstorm water, or something else.

Or even simply that because now she is on Roshar, she kinda influences everything by some degree. Compare Scadrial where P&R permeated everything.

44 minutes ago, Figberts said:

How could crem be influenced by Cultivation? It's mud! Does it grow bigger plants or something? I don't get it.

Lots of ways.  She could be embedded in every atom on Roshar, not unlike Ruin and Preservation were with Scadrial.  She could be supervising the highstorms, directing the Stormfather as to where and how much crem gets laid down.  And lastly, she could be enhancing the crem with nitrogen or other "good for plants" things.  

3 hours ago, stonedshaman said:

@Ciridae you are correct in brandon has said that it's an in world mechanic to explain why the Roshar continent hasn't eroded down to nothing with the constant highstorms.  I can't remember exactly where it was but I watch a lot of his book signings and Q&A's on youtube and I'm pretty sure that's where I found it

It was an earlier one

RYBAL

How did you come up with the geography on Roshar?

BRANDON SANDERSON

The geography on Roshar was developed as a natural outgrowth of the highstorm, which was the first concept for Roshar, which was inspired by the storm of Jupiter, which was me wanting to tell a story about a world with a continual magical storm. And then I built the ecology and all of these things up from that. Roshar had to grow up--I had to find a mechanism by which stone was deposited by rain, because I felt that the constant weathering over that long of a time would leave no continents. So the crem was my kind of scientific-with-one-foot-in-magic hack on keeping the continent. So the continent does drift. They don't have plate tectonics. The continent actually moves as it gets weathered on the east and gets pushed that direction over millennia of time

As for the question of flora and crem..

BRANDON SANDERSON

Almost all the things you see as flora are actual flora. Like, rockbuds are flora, trees are flora, shalebark is not, and some of the things like that - haspers are not, and some of these things are more - are animal life, are fauna. But grass is actually a flora, and trees. One of the big adaptations they’ve had to make is that they have to use crem, so a lot of the tree that you’ll find on Roshar, they will be using crem that falls - they use this to create shells, they use this to create bark, they use this in a LOT of different ways, the minerals there are very important because they’re not getting from the soil what plants on our soil get from soil, a lot of them do. All of your minerals and things have to come from the crem. Which the farmers already knew.

11 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

it was mentioned that plants fertilized with crem grow better than other plants. this is strongly reminescent of what happens in the elendel basin. I don't think a strong comparion with the mist can be made, but it's likely that crem is somewhat invested.

Why? 

Mistborn spoilers

Spoiler

I don't think Sazed invested the ground of the basin any more than normal. Rather, he just arranged for there to be a higher level of nutrients in it, like with crem.

46 minutes ago, Figberts said:

That means that there is no crem in Shinovar, since there are no highstorms there and it is unneeded. That's cool!

Yeah. Shinovar has dirt and is basically the most Earthlike part of Roshar. I wonder what's going to happen though when the rest of the continent wears away. Also makes me wonder how it formed in the first place.

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

I am failry sure there is a word of brandon somewhere saying that "the mists hug the ground extra strongly", i.e. the ground is invested.

Mistborn spoilers.

First of all, I can't find any mention of that. Secondly, mist hugging the ground isn't that much of a novel phenomenon, and considering the mist is close to being sentient and invested, not surprising it would act strangely. Overall, still not seeing anything which says that the ground in Scadrial is invested more than usual. Thirdly, this very off-topic so if you do want to continue it, make a topic in the appropriate sub-forum.

21 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Yeah. Shinovar has dirt and is basically the most Earthlike part of Roshar. I wonder what's going to happen though when the rest of the continent wears away. Also makes me wonder how it formed in the first place.

Off Topic: What is going to happen to Shinovar when the Everstorm hits? i suspect their whole culture is going to have issues as the dirt will be stripped away and there will only be stone to walk on.

1 hour ago, Tsidqiyah said:

Off Topic: What is going to happen to Shinovar when the Everstorm hits? i suspect their whole culture is going to have issues as the dirt will be stripped away and there will only be stone to walk on.

I think they might be more concerned with the Apocalypse going on and literal demons from Hell returning.

4 hours ago, Tsidqiyah said:

3 hours ago, Oversleep said:

I think they might be more concerned with the Apocalypse going on and literal demons from Hell returning.

Perhaps, but it's amazing what religious fanaticism can do in those situations (we saw how big of a deal it was to Szeth, and he was "allowed" to do it because of his nature as Truthless).  Not to mention, their agriculture and buildings will all be devastated as well.