[Snapshot Spoilers] Snapshot Reactions Thread

ccstat

I would say that I liked it overall.

I saw that there was going to be a Snapshot within a Snapshot almost as soon as I started the book, given that Sanderson will have twists, and my general knowledge and experience with the genre. I did not see that whole twist with killing Chaz. That took me by surprise. I did find that Davis had obtained a nice gun to be odd and a bit suspicious though. And further on the plot twists, I think it reminded me a bit of Oathbringer in how details, like stuff on the Recreance and humans coming to Roshar, was framed in a way I thought interesting and thought provoking. 

And I'm really annoyed about how curious I am about the Snapshots work, and the nature of the creatures involved. I mean really really anxious, frustrated and annoyed, especially as there is no reason to see more from New Caledonia, or whatever it was called again...

• 8 months later...

I read this in one day with my cousin. We read it out loud, alternating chapters. It was really fun. 

What I loved about it was the way the plot twist(s!) were foreshadowed but I still didn’t get either of them. Just thinking back I could see how each of them were hinted at. 

In addition, Brandon Sanderson comes up with an idea (recreate one day!) and extends it so that it’s the coolest possible version of that idea. (Serial killer who thinks he’s in a Snapshot, cops who work in a Snapshot, how can Deviations change a person, how best to set up a murder inside a Snapshot). 

I thought it it was really cool and interesting. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2018 at 9:30 AM, Oltux72 said:

Did anybody share my instant feeling of revultion at the idea of snapshots? Like if switching one off is in effect mass murder and the horror of being shown a badge telling you that you are created to satisfy curiosity, doomed and meaningless?

Yeah, I definitely felt that as well. Though, I think the horror of how messed up the idea of snapshots are is part of what makes them so interesting. 

As for how I felt about the story, I definitely did not see the plot twists coming because I’m not well-read in the genre. Overall, I really enjoyed the story, though it has been a long time since I read it.

• 2 months later...