Returned children

makiaveli

Hi, I read Warbreaker and there is one thing that is bugging me. First I want to apologise, that my english is not very good, maybe that's the reason for my question.Maybe I've missed some important explanation in the book. So my question is this, how a Returned child is growing up?

...Yet with a donated Breath a week, a Returned could continue to live, never aging...

If the Returned is never aging, how Returned baby becomes a grown up God King?

9 minutes ago, makiaveli said:

Hi, I read Warbreaker and there is one thing that is bugging me. First I want to apologise, that my english is not very good, maybe that's the reason for my question.Maybe I've missed some important explanation in the book. So my question is this, how a Returned child is growing up?

If the Returned is never aging, how Returned baby becomes a grown up God King?

Haven't read Warbreaker in a while, but...

I think the fact that there is a Returned baby to begin with indicates that we don't actually understand Nalthis magic system entirely. A Returned baby is a weird thing all on it's own; after all, the appearance of one is taken as a sign that it's time to retire the old God King.

Maybe someone who does know more about stuff can shed better light on this? but right now, I think the answer is "We don't know, it's a weird thing that Brandon will probably RAFO"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this means "they never grow old"

there was a returned who was returned as a kid iirc, can't remember the exact details though. Something about always being the individual's perfectly idealized self?

It's actually mentioned in one of Lightsong's chapters. People who return as children continue to age until they are adults (physically), and their mental growth is faster (so they are mentally adults while their bodies still appear much younger). No explanation why that happens, though.

3 hours ago, kimni said:

It's actually mentioned in one of Lightsong's chapters. People who return as children continue to age until they are adults (physically), and their mental growth is faster (so they are mentally adults while their bodies still appear much younger). No explanation why that happens, though.

We see ^this talked about in mention of both the God King and of Lifeblesser (or Hopefinder?), specifically with lifeblesser it was mentioned that he returned as a two year old, but he learned to speak and matured quickly. I personally think the reason for the increased rate of maturity has something to do with the nature of a divine breath's cognitive and spiritual aspects.

Edit: It was Hopefinder who was a returned child

Edited by Secrets

There's also the fact that Returned can change their physical body to better suit their cognitive. So people who are adults will remain looking like adults for forever, unaging, but children can and probably do cause their body to change subconsciously to suit their mental state.

I'm currently relistening to Warbreaker's audiobook and just heard the chapter where they talked with Hopefinder. He returned at age 2, spent around a year growing up mentally, and now his body is still catching up ten years later. Since Returned can change their proportions, I think since they expect themselves to grow to maturity they subconsciously cause it to happen. I expect if they knew how to purposefully change their appearance, they could indeed reflect their mental age and not slowly age themselves over the years.

• Chaos locked this topic