Dalinar's Shoulder

teknopathetic

5 minutes ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

I don't think anyone is debating whether or not he's drawn in and used it before really.

The question is really by what mechanism has he been using Stormlight? And, how long has he been able to do so?

Did he have one method and now has switched over to another? Did he start a proto-bond with the Stormfather when he rearranged his life to live by the codes? Did he get a proto-bond with the Stormfather after he started reading/reciting language from the Way of Kings (in world book)? Is the Thrill like a mini-Nahel bond with an unmade that allows the user to draw on Stormlight? Is/was/has he been pulling Stormlight from the spheres embedded in his Shardplate? All of the above perhaps? 

I like the idea that the Thrill gives some small ability to use stormlight, but that when he rearranged his life, he started a proto-bond with the Stormfather. That bond has allowed him to use unconsciously small amounts of Stormlight, but also is the vehicle by which the Visions were delivered. And now it's a full bond, so he's doing the drawing in of Stormlight consciously. 

- I tend to wonder IF he might have started down the right path because of the visions AND the reading of the way of kings... and while he said the first oath again, I'm going to guess he'd said them sometime previously... I don't really know that this plays into that at all - would be interesting to get a WOB on this... It's possible we can get Brandon to weigh in on this sometime after Oathbringer is released... dunno...

Thrill - isn't this something brought about by an unmade - therefore a creature of Odium? (I'm uncertain if they can draw stormlight the same way...) Dunno

So I'm doing a reread of WoK right now and just finished Dalinar's vision of feverstone keep and noticed something....... interesting.  As Dalinar runs out into the group of KR and begs them to tell him why, he says that he almost hears a scream as the KR drop their shardblades and walk away.  Sounds to me like the scream a proto radiant or KR hears from a dead blade.  Could this be a sign of his progression?  Or is it just because he's in a vision?  Thoughts

I do think he heard the screams of dying/severed spren. But there are many reasons he could have heard that... Just off the top of my head:

1. The KR spren had been present enough in the Physical for the scream to be somewhat audible. This could be a function of the type of spren (some are better able to manifest in the Cognitive than others) or even the progression of the kinghts in their oaths, strengthening to sprens' connection to the Physical.

2. Dalinar was present enough in the Cognitive to hear the spren scream (this could be because he's on the path of the proto-radiant, or because he's in the visions and they draw him more fully into the Cognitive.

3. Because the person he replaced in the vision was spren-sensitive (a proto radiant guard?) and Dalinar heard what the guard heard.

4. Honor himself dubbed the voice effect in when he recorded it because he wanted the vision to have greater authenticity and significance for whomever might someday experience it.

5. Something else.

Gavilar was proto-Radiant, wasn't he? What if he was unconsciously healing his brother back then, the same way Stump was healing orphans in Edgedancer?

Another thought: What if Dalinar was a Squire of Gavilar? That would give him access to Stormlight during his Blackthorn days, though to be honest I'm not even sure if Bondsmiths could have Squires.

Edited by skaa

1 hour ago, skaa said:

Gavilar was proto-Radiant, wasn't he? What if he was unconsciously healing his brother back then, the same way Stump was healing orphans in Edgedancer?

Another thought: What if Dalinar was a Squire of Gavilar? That would give him access to Stormlight during his Blackthorn days, though to be honest I'm not even sure if Bondsmiths could have Squires.

Well, Bondsmiths don't have access to the surge of Progression: only Truthwatchers and Edgedancers do, therefore it would be impossible for Gavilar to heal Dalinar like the Stump did. Bondsmiths get Tension and Adhesion.

As for the possibility of Dalinar being a squire, I doubt it.

Spoilers for The Thrill

Spoiler

Remember that this is the man who once tried to kill his brother in out of jealousy, and who showed no apparent concern for anything other than fighting. He was certainly not following Gavilar out of any sense of loyalty toward him.

17 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

Well, Bondsmiths don't have access to the surge of Progression: only Truthwatchers and Edgedancers do, therefore it would be impossible for Gavilar to heal Dalinar like the Stump did. Bondsmiths get Tension and Adhesion.

Oh yeah. My bad.

• Chaos locked this topic