Windwhisperers are pretty cool

TheAscendedDude

Windwhisperers, the tin ferrings, can store their senses. I always thought tin was a bit strange, as you can fill metalminds with different stuff -sight, hearing, smell etc. I don't think any other ferring can do that, except bendalloy, according to Coppermind, they can make another metalmind to store fluid intake(or maybe there is another one? What if a chromium ferring can store bad luck besides good luck? That would be weird :P and I don't think that's how it works)

But let's get back to Windwhisperers. According to the Coppermind, they can store more than the five main senses. Any sense they are aware of can be stored.

Sense of balance: just lie in bed for an hour a day and you become an acrobat

Pain: though pain is vital, as it shows if we are injured, sometimes it would be good to store. Though I can't think of a scenario that would make anyone tap a pain metalmind

Thermoception: not feeling cold nor heat could come in handy, but same with the pain, it is necessary

And so on. These were the few I could find, but as you can see, with a plenty of charge in their metalminds, any tin ferring would make a great Daredevil-like dude :D

4 minutes ago, TheAscendedDude said:

Though I can't think of a scenario that would make anyone tap a pain metalmind

Well... this is a somewhat "out there" example, but I have 1 idea.
In a more recent expansion of The Old Republic game, there is a character with an implant that causes pain. (I don't specifically know how it works, it was just a gimmick for certain conversation choices) Basically, the pain would snap her out of a jedi mind trick or stuff like that.
I don't think mind control works the same way in the Cosmere, but..

20 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Well... this is a somewhat "out there" example, but I have 1 idea.
In a more recent expansion of The Old Republic game, there is a character with an implant that causes pain. (I don't specifically know how it works, it was just a gimmick for certain conversation choices) Basically, the pain would snap her out of a jedi mind trick or stuff like that.
I don't think mind control works the same way in the Cosmere, but..

I think that Kelsier (and probably other mistborn and tineyes), flared tin at some point to enhance his pain. He used this to focus his mind while groggy after getting hit in the head.

Tapping pain would increase your sensitivity to pain, not actually make you feel pain. It has a number of useful applications I think. One perhaps is a quick check to see if there are any non-visible injuries. Ramp the pain up, especially if you had just been fighting while storing it, and you'll notice them quickly.

22 minutes ago, 8giraffe8 said:

My favorite wob is the one that states, "Platypus tinmind should work." Apparently they have the ability to sense electrical fields to some extent, and if one became a feruchemist, one could store that ability.

Just use hemalurgy to steal that attribute from platypus and implant it into a windwhisperer ferring.

2 hours ago, TheAscendedDude said:

Sense of balance: just lie in bed for an hour a day and you become an acrobat

Not really - tapping sense of balance would give you a much better ability to sense the balance, not the Allomantic pewter increased ability to balance. Important distinction.

Anyway, there are a lot of senses, check the wiki.

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

Not really - tapping sense of balance would give you a much better ability to sense the balance, not the Allomantic pewter increased ability to balance. Important distinction.

Anyway, there are a lot of senses, check the wiki.

A better sense of how balanced or unbalanced you are, rather than increased control over said balance.

The chemoreceptor trigger zone is an area of the medulla in the brain that receives inputs from blood-borne drugs or hormones, and communicates with the vomiting center.

Store this sense while drinking and you'll never have to worry about vomiting. Of course, then you'll have a higher chance of alcohol poisoning.

Haha, best use for Feruchemy I've ever heard. Use this super cool powers to drink more alcohol :D

Anyways, surely a Windwhisperer is kind of underestimated.

The Lord Ruler could actually detect when a Person was lying right?

They never explained how he did it (if I remember right) but it has to be his crazily increased senses.

As burning Tin obviously isn't enough (as seen by Vin, Kelsier, Spook) it should be that. It can increase your senses to the point that you hear the change in the heartbeat, and so on, of the other person.

I wonder at the specificity of it. Allomantic tin enhances everything, so there's no room for variation. But if you know what you're doing with Feruchemical tin, can you break up your senses further?

When Sazed taps Sight, it gives him a binocular effect. But magnification is only one element of your vision, isn't it? Rather than storing magnification, would you be able to store the range of wavelengths you're able to perceive, thus allowing you to pick up light outside of the traditional visible spectrum when tapping it?

Hearing is similar - Adjusting volume is the obvious use of it, but expanding your range of hearing could be very useful, and protect you from the susceptibility to loud noises that traditional Feruchemical tin hearing carries. And I don't see why they wouldn't be able to. 

EDIT: Ooh, wow. The forum automatically translated my shorthand of f tin (One word) to "Feruchemical tin". Which is interesting. I had no idea that was set up. I'm going to go away and find out more 

Edited by Tarion

@Tarion

I am unsure you could change the range of visible frequences with Feruchemical tin ,the way feruchemy works (with at least physical metal/attributes) seems to indicate nothing beyond the human abilities....maybe it's for a cognitive fact or maybe it's actual a Feruchemy limitation (I think the second).

Notice only that see/hear frequence beyond the normal human could be a problem mora than an aid

I don't think either it would give you this abilities, as Yata said, it's not really the way Feruchemy works... you get back what you actually store...

But the idea of Tarion is still interesting I think. Storing sight isn't always the same... For example, you can do it as Sazed did it (for a binocular effect).
But you should also be able to store sight in the way, that you hardly see in normal daylight, but when tapping it, you could see also at night (not complete darkness, as you'll always need a little bit of light).

But thinking like that, you could probably break up the single senses even further.

7 minutes ago, Thunder_93 said:

But you should also be able to store sight in the way, that you hardly see in normal daylight, but when tapping it, you could see also at night (not complete darkness, as you'll always need a little bit of light).

From what I remember Sazed stated that - unlike Allomancers - he can't see in the dark (WoA, Conventicle of Seran).

Anyway, human eye is physically uncapable of sensing more wavelengths (with some surgery you could see in ultraviolet though). Feruchemy can't work around that really.

59 minutes ago, Yata said:

@Tarion

I am unsure you could change the range of visible frequences with Feruchemical tin ,the way feruchemy works (with at least physical metal/attributes) seems to indicate nothing beyond the human abilities....maybe it's for a cognitive fact or maybe it's actual a Feruchemy limitation (I think the second).

Notice only that see/hear frequence beyond the normal human could be a problem mora than an aid

I think this is where it comes down to Scadrian perception (And the Cognitive aspect of Feruchemy). Hearing a sound that a human otherwise wouldn't be able to hear because it's too quiet is just as abnormal as one that they wouldn't be able to hear because it's too high frequency. They're both outside of the range of what humans are normally able to perceive, but are still just an enhanced version of your ordinary hearing. And that's exactly what Feruchemy does - it pushes the ranges that we normally operate in. You can hear things that the normal human ear isn't physically capable of detecting. And your body can physically change in order to make these things possible, as can be seen by Feruchemical pewter, where you have physical growth to your muscles, allowing you to lift weights that your normal body is simply incapable of lifting. 

And the EM spectrum is the same - We see between 400 and 780nm, not because there's anything intrinsically special about that spectrum, but because that's what our eyes are set up to perceive. 

I doubt an ordinary Scadrian Feruchemist would be able to do this. Their understanding of physics and biology isn't there. But give them another hundred years of Kandra research (who presumably can alter their bodies to see Infrared or UV, for example) and they'll have a fundamentally deeper understanding of their own bodies and the world around them. 

Edited by Tarion

16 hours ago, 8giraffe8 said:

My favorite wob is the one that states, "Platypus tinmind should work." Apparently they have the ability to sense electrical fields to some extent, and if one became a feruchemist, one could store that ability.

If we extrapolate this into other other exotic senses: what about

Warbreaker Spoilers

Spoiler

an Awakener's life sense?

There's a few interesting questions that could be raised if the answer to that is yes. Is the life sense something inherent in all people, simply too small to notice, which Breath then simply magnifies, or is it something that you only acquire after you accrue enough Breaths. In the case of the former, then presumably a Windwhisperer could store enough of it to gain a Fourth Heightening style life sense without ever gaining a single Breath? In the case of the latter though, then the Awakener cum Feruchemist should be able to use the "Bands of Mourning exploit" to grant life sense to others who had never gained any Breath?

19 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Just use hemalurgy to steal that attribute from platypus and implant it into a windwhisperer ferring.

Good idea :) But I don't think you could steal that, as it is not Investiture-stuff, like you can't steal the hearing of an allomancer. And even if it was, you would have to know where to spike it. I think the only way not human senses could be used by tin ferrings is that the platypus is a full feruchemist and he/she creates an unkeyed tin mind and fill it with the necessary sense then give it to a human windwhisperer

20 hours ago, kenod said:

I think that Kelsier (and probably other mistborn and tineyes), flared tin at some point to enhance his pain. He used this to focus his mind while groggy after getting hit in the head.

I don't think it was about enhancing his pain. It cleared his head but enhanced his pain as a side effect

21 minutes ago, TheAscendedDude said:

Good idea :) But I don't think you could steal that, as it is not Investiture-stuff, like you can't steal the hearing of an allomancer. And even if it was, you would have to know where to spike it. I think the only way not human senses could be used by tin ferrings is that the platypus is a full feruchemist and he/she creates an unkeyed tin mind and fill it with the necessary sense then give it to a human windwhisperer

I don't think it was about enhancing his pain. It cleared his head but enhanced his pain as a side effect

No reason why you can't. Hemalurgy can steal a lot more than just enhanced abilities. It's about stealing pieces of the soul, and animals have the same type of soul, just smaller. If human senses are encoded on their soul and can be stolen, no reason why platypus senses aren't and can't. 

Edited by Spoolofwhool

1 hour ago, Spoolofwhool said:

No reason why you can't. Hemalurgy can steal a lot more than just enhanced abilities. It's about stealing pieces of the soul, and animals have the same type of soul, just smaller. If human senses are encoded on their soul and can be stolen, no reason why platypus senses aren't and can't. 

You got me there :) Have an upvote!

21 hours ago, BlackYeti said:

If we extrapolate this into other other exotic senses: what about

Warbreaker Spoilers

Hide contents

an Awakener's life sense?

There's a few interesting questions that could be raised if the answer to that is yes. Is the life sense something inherent in all people, simply too small to notice, which Breath then simply magnifies, or is it something that you only acquire after you accrue enough Breaths. In the case of the former, then presumably a Windwhisperer could store enough of it to gain a Fourth Heightening style life sense without ever gaining a single Breath? In the case of the latter though, then the Awakener cum Feruchemist should be able to use the "Bands of Mourning exploit" to grant life sense to others who had never gained any Breath?

From WB, it seems like

Spoiler

Drabs have no life sense. I think Nalthian humans need Breath in order to have life sense. Don't know about other people though. In any case, hasn't it been WoB confirmed that you can spike Breaths? 

On 2/13/2017 at 4:34 AM, Thunder_93 said:

The Lord Ruler could actually detect when a Person was lying right?

They never explained how he did it (if I remember right) but it has to be his crazily increased senses.

There was discussion on this before (somewhere on here, I can't find it easily) but as per Brandon, he attributed it to the sheer amount of people he'd interacted with over the centuries gave him an edge noticing the little tells.

I figured it would make sense that the Lord Ruler would be so old, so experienced, and so powerful that he wouldn’t be able to be lied to. He’s been around people for centuries and centuries. It’s very hard to fool him.

While it was used as a trope in Infinity Blade, among other things, at one point, it is a believable phenomenon. People find subtle signs in people's body language with mere years of training.