Breath of the Wild

soyperson

2 hours ago, Koldun said:

I just got it for the Wii U. Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

it is.  i really wish I had more time to spend with it, honestly.  I feel like it really deserves just taking a week or 2 off work and playing it continuously.

3 hours ago, Who Sharded? said:

I'm now at 105 shrines.  I don't know how some people managed to complete all of these shrines within a week or two.

I can barely figure out how people can complete all the shrines at all.  I still don't know where a good 20% of them are, and I have been pretty much everywhere on the map except death mountain.  Somehow I don't think thirty-odd shrines are hiding in that one section.

and don't even get me started on the people who got all the korok seeds

8 hours ago, Who Sharded? said:

I'm now at 105 shrines.  I don't know how some people managed to complete all of these shrines within a week or two.

Just got 90 myself. I've been able to find tons of them by looking at open spaces on my map, but the Shrine Quests where you have to start conversations with the right people to make invisible shrines appear are the tough ones. Sometimes you have to talk to people in the most random places to start a quest. 

1 hour ago, ParadoxicalZen said:

Someone had to be first :P

I think there's an official game guide out there which might show the locations to everything. I'm not 100% sure on that but I'm pretty sure I've seen a guide for sale. 

• 2 weeks later...

finally got around to Death Mountain and Vah Rudania.  still have twenty-odd Shrines to go before I want to go deal with the castle and Gannon, though I only know the locations for about 3 of them, two of which I still need to figure out how to open.

does anyone else have trouble holding on to arrows?  I always seem to be low or out (the reason why there is a shrine I know how to get into but haven't finished: I was out of arrows and couldn't do it).  among other things it makes it a huge pain to fight Hynoxes (and even worse to fight Stalnoxes, though I've only seen one of those so far)

11 hours ago, Dunkum said:

does anyone else have trouble holding on to arrows?  I always seem to be low or out (the reason why there is a shrine I know how to get into but haven't finished: I was out of arrows and couldn't do it).  among other things it makes it a huge pain to fight Hynoxes (and even worse to fight Stalnoxes, though I've only seen one of those so far)

I usually have more shock arrows than anything because of Lionels, so I use those more than regular arrows.  I do buy arrows from Beedle sometimes when I stop by, partly because I'm at the point where I have too much money.

Regarding Hynoxes, there's a much easier way to fight them:

Spoiler

Creep up to them with a strong 2 handed weapon, hold down the attack button.  Your spin attack will usually kill it before it wakes up.

On 6/13/2017 at 9:07 AM, Who Sharded? said:

I usually have more shock arrows than anything because of Lionels, so I use those more than regular arrows.  I do buy arrows from Beedle sometimes when I stop by, partly because I'm at the point where I have too much money.

Regarding Hynoxes, there's a much easier way to fight them:

Reveal hidden contents

Creep up to them with a strong 2 handed weapon, hold down the attack button.  Your spin attack will usually kill it before it wakes up.

this is the second place I have seen that exact advice.  may have to try it the next time I come across one.  my usual strategy is to switch to square bombs and run away while dropping bombs and exploding them as the things walk over them.  it takes forever, but it does generally work.  how I took down the Eventide Island one...though I was there during a blood moon, so the dang thing came back a bit later.

Now that I know how to handle them, I kind of like fighting Lynels, though it takes a lot of preparation before hand, mostly stocking up on food.

Edited by Dunkum

Honestly fighting Lynels isn't too difficult once you figure out some of the recipes that refill all of your hearts plus give you bonus yellow hearts lol. Some of them can be a pain in general though. Farming star fragments to upgrade your armor sets to the highest level helps a lot.

10 hours ago, Andy92 said:

Honestly fighting Lynels isn't too difficult once you figure out some of the recipes that refill all of your hearts plus give you bonus yellow hearts lol. Some of them can be a pain in general though. Farming star fragments to upgrade your armor sets to the highest level helps a lot.

The fact that you can have the efects from Tough and Hearty meals simultaneously means I usually fight the things with bonus armor and hearts.  still takes some doing, but by far the biggest key is to get in close.  they are far too accurate with those bows to fight them from a distance

Went back and finished up my most of last outstanding action items (Talus and Hinox medals, Mounted Archery camp, a couple Korok puzzles I had stamped but never completed) in preparation for the DLC. (I'm not worrying about all the Koroks, or even maxing out my inventory slots. Although I might still do a little more hunting for a 5-speed horse.) I'm looking forward to the Trial of the Sword; a heavily constructed environment like that should bring back the excitement of the opening hours on the Great Plateau.

Hard mode, I could probably do without. I was reminded how bad I was at taking down Lynels; I'm not good with joysticks, so aiming Stasis+ and then an arrow to the face so I can mount it is way beyond my skills, so I wind up going through a couple of weapons to take down a Silver Lynel. Gold ones... man, I'll probably kill one or two just so I can say I did it, and then go back to avoiding them like the plague, like I did at the beginning of the game.

I wonder if they will sneak in any cooking/potion modifications along the way, either in this DLC or the next one? I would really like to see you be able to combine different types of ingredients for different effects that either only come from armor or don't currently exist. Stuff like:

• Hasty and Energizing create a meal that boosts your climbing speed
  • Mighty and Enduring create a meal that makes your equipment lose less durability
  • Armored and Electro resist gives you the Rubber Armor set bonus
  • Mighty and Chill gives all your weapons ice damage

Not every combination would have to mean something (because that would be 55 different effects), but I think it's a shame I can pretty much never use the Wild set or the Champion's tunic, since I need full set bonuses to climb/swim/farm dragons. (What I'd really like would be for the Wild set to include all the armor bonuses, and for the Master Sword and Champion's Weapons to be unbreakable, so I can just work on 100% without having to swap out gear all the time and micromanage my inventory... but that would admittedly defeat the point of having environments and breakable weapons in the first place, and I'd might as well just go watch cutscenes on YouTube. I've seen that conversation play out before.)

you've clearly gone a bit deeper into a lot of the game than I have.  not surprising really, given that I have mostly tried to avoid guides and most hints.  haven't even tried taking down a silver lynel, and can't even imagine how difficult something stronger would be.  blue lynels are enough of a pain.

found all but one of the (non-storyline) memories, and up to 105 shrines, with some guesses as to where some others may be.  I found entire sections of map that I apparently hadn't explored as thoroughly as I had thought.

down to 4 shrines left.  but they are getting much harder to find.  and still no luck on the last memory (edit: not too long after posting this ai was able to at least confirm the location of the memory.  haven't gotten to it yet).  Did finish off a few side quests and started trying to upgrade my gear more.  for the barbarian set, that means killing more lynels.  today I discovered that red maned lynels are actually pretty easy, when you have >20 hearts, all you chmpion powers available, and high level armor and weapons

Edited by Dunkum

On June 25, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Dunkum said:

down to 4 shrines left. 

Same here. I was sitting around 90-100 for a while and forgot you could turn on the ping sensor to let you know when you got close to one lol. I turned it off early in the game because it kept beeping all the time when I hardly had any shrines. Forgot all about using it until recently lol. 

I started to feel the burn when I had around 4 shrines left.  I had my sensor on for the last 30 or so, and luckily found all of the ones that weren't behind quests.  I looked up the remaining quests online, and there were 2 that I felt pretty dumb about not coming across.  When I finished I told myself I'm not playing for a long time.  I don't think I'll be back for the summer DLC, but probably will check out the winter DLC.

I started a new save to prep for Master Mode, and decided to arbitrarily limit myself in a couple of ways to make myself get better at combat. No armor, no fast-travelling except if I'm already at a shrine (so no easy escapes), and only eating meals at a campfire (only potions during combat and climbing). I might actually keep the potion restriction, since it has made me actually focus on resource management, which I hadn't before. (I'm the kind of person who very rarely runs past something to pick up, so when you have 200 apples and 50 of basically every ingredient, you never run out of food.) I've actually enjoyed having to pay attention to grabbing bugs (those restless crickets are super important now!), and I've been spending most of my money buying hearty lizards from Beedle, since those and fairies are pretty much the only way I can heal in the middle of a battle.

I'd encourage anyone else who feels guilty doing this in the middle of combat, try limiting yourself to elixirs. Most meals are still useful - environmental effects, obviously, have no problems with this, and you eat attack/defense/stealth/speed meals when preparing for a big battle. You can't add yellow hearts in the middle of battle from meals, but you can still cook your +25 bonus heart meals and eat them in advance. And let's be honest, while meat is normally a major healing resource, you're gonna need to sell those skewers to buy more bugs. The only items that really can't be used are Stamella Shrooms and Endura Shrooms, so you either gotta get good at climbing or get good at catching frogs.

8 hours ago, Who Sharded? said:

I started to feel the burn when I had around 4 shrines left.  I had my sensor on for the last 30 or so, and luckily found all of the ones that weren't behind quests.  I looked up the remaining quests online, and there were 2 that I felt pretty dumb about not coming across.  When I finished I told myself I'm not playing for a long time.  I don't think I'll be back for the summer DLC, but probably will check out the winter DLC.

next step for me whenever I play next (mostly only have time on weekends, and busy the next 2) is probably going to be stopping by all the stables and towns and talking to everyone to see if there are any quests I missed.  that wouldn't account for every possible one, but it would go a long way toward making sure I am not missing anything.  i may also get that last memory.  I know where to look for it, it is just a matter of wandering until I find it.

@Pagerunner that sounds way too intense for me.  i'd have died thousands more times if I had forced my self not to gobble down entire trees' worth of apples when i got injured and ran out of food.  as it stands, I pretty much never use elixers.  I don't care about most of the effects they can grant, though admittedly bonus hearts and stamina, or stamina recovery are still useful.