What to read after all the cosmere books

bdoble97

Question

Well I just finshed all the Cosmere books tbat are out as of now. What should i read now. Need somthing that really involved. I have already read The Wheel of Time, A Song of Ice and Fire, The Name of the Wind books, Lord of the Rings and middle-earth books, try to do Steve Erickson's books but they could not keep my interest. I am about to read so e ne cannon star wars book but I k ow they are going to be a disappointment compared to the epic awesomeness of Sanderson books. So what should I read 

16 minutes ago, Fabian_Caldwell said:

The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss. Stunning book. It's heartfelt, original and beautifully written. Just wow. Told through the present day as a writer recording the life of past legend, it follows the adventures of a teenager named Kvothe (Pronounced  Quohth) and his talents after the death of his parents. We also get present day Kvothe, now Kote, a lonely and depressed innkeeper. A traveling scribe convinces Kote to tell his story, and so begins the epic tale. 10/10 would read again. The first book is The Name of The Wind. Knock yourself out!:D

Just checked that out from my eLibrary, I keep seeing it recommended.

I started reading Jim Butcher because Brandon was asked what he was currently reading at a signing I went to and recommended his newest book. Haven't regretted that choice since and you've got a couple of series you can pick from. That would be my first recommendation.

32 minutes ago, Weltall said:

I started reading Jim Butcher because Brandon was asked what he was currently reading at a signing I went to and recommended his newest book. Haven't regretted that choice since and you've got a couple of series you can pick from. That would be my first recommendation.

Thanks going to look him up right now. 

11 minutes ago, Thunder_93 said:

I could also recomend The Dark Tower Saga from Stephen King. So far I'm only at book 3 of 8, but it's really good so far 

Hmmm Stephen King I have never read any of his books. Is ita scifi book or fantasy 

27 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Thanks going to look him up right now. 

Hmmm Stephen King I have never read any of his books. Is ita scifi book or fantasy 

Fantasy-western would be the best way to describe the series. The protagonist is a very Clint Eastwood type character; the first book in the series is even titled 'The Gunslinger'...

But the series is complicated to describe, because of spoilers :ph34r:

23 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Fantasy-western would be the best way to describe the series. The protagonist is a very Clint Eastwood type character; the first book in the series is even titled 'The Gunslinger'...

But the series is complicated to describe, because of spoilers :ph34r:

That sounds cool. I love  Wax and Wayne Mistborn books and you could say Wax is the same type of character you just described. 

On 2/10/2017 at 8:23 PM, bdoble97 said:

What would you compare them to with is cosmere books 

Reckoners doesn't really have a good Cosmere comparison. A better way to think of them would be like comic books. Imagine a word with super-powered villains but no similarly empowered heroes. That's The Reckoners in a nutshell. Alcatraz could sort of be summed up as 'What if Harry Potter wrote his own books? And was really really snarky. Also, librarians are evil and secretly control the world'. Alcatraz is more obviously aimed at younger readers but is fun no matter what your age as long as you don't take yourself too seriously, while Reckoners is aimed a bit older. And while both have magic systems that aren't 'scientific' to the extent that we understand magic in the Cosmere to be, they still operate on some kind of rules (albeit looser ones) that can be understood and operate as plot points when characters start to study them in detail.

I'd say something about Rithmatist but it's one of the few Brandon Sanderson works I haven't read yet. :(

On 2/10/2017 at 10:03 PM, rock soup said:

Although Id be jumping onto Jim Butchers Dresden Files as well. They're a great read!

Don't forget Codex Alera for all the stuff that's good about Butcher's writing in a more 'fantasy' setting. I actually got started with The Aeronaut's Windlass (currently a series of one) because that's the one Brandon named, then I started reading everything else. Definitely worth every minute.

2 hours ago, DocHoliday said:

Rithmatist is not a very fleshed out book in my opinion, as it's designed towards younger audiences I feel. Frankly though, I'm surprised it's not a Cosmere book. 

It's a Coming of Age tale, with a magic system that's a mix of Selish and Nalthian "will" thrown in.

Literally the only reason Rithmatist isn't Cosmere is because it's set on Earth.  Yes, even an Earth which bears little resemblance to our own, with magic powers and an archipelago where a continent should be and Brandon's favorite non-America nation ballooned into an empire.  That's it.  (He even decided that Earth would not be Cosmere - ever - partway through, which is why it dovetails so closely)

1 minute ago, Landis963 said:

Literally the only reason Rithmatist isn't Cosmere is because it's set on Earth.  Yes, even an Earth which bears little resemblance to our own, with magic powers and an archipelago where a continent should be and Brandon's favorite non-America nation ballooned into an empire.  That's it.  (He even decided that Earth would not be Cosmere - ever - partway through, which is why it dovetails so closely)

<_<I know. Leaves me a little miffed that it could be any other place,  anywhere else in the Cosmere; and we'd be all over the information looking for Shards and what not lol.

1 minute ago, DocHoliday said:

<_<I know. Leaves me a little miffed that it could be any other place,  anywhere else in the Cosmere; and we'd be all over the information looking for Shards and what not lol.

Once he decided that, he probably thought it was cheating to have any of his worlds based so closely on earth and not call them Earth.  It'd be like pretending Thedas (of Dragon Age fame) isn't a map of Europe turned 90 degrees and mirrored.  

Thanks for all the input from every one. I have just strarted to listento the shard cast ast night whwn i got order to work thw overnight. Man o man I literally feel like I just understand a sliver compared what the rest of you know about the cosmere. 

The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss. Stunning book. It's heartfelt, original and beautifully written. Just wow. Told through the present day as a writer recording the life of past legend, it follows the adventures of a teenager named Kvothe (Pronounced  Quohth) and his talents after the death of his parents. We also get present day Kvothe, now Kote, a lonely and depressed innkeeper. A traveling scribe convinces Kote to tell his story, and so begins the epic tale. 10/10 would read again. The first book is The Name of The Wind. Knock yourself out!:D

I highly recommend dipping into the Sci-fi world. Isaac Asimov is a brilliant scientist/author who layed the foundation for many famous sci-fi stories we have today. Much like tolkien is to the fantasy tropes.

The Robot series: starting with Caves of Steel. Its a murder mystery, but in the future...dun dun dun.. 

The Foundation series: Same universe, way farther in the future, really cool philosophical and statistical stuff.

Also, if you haven't finished the Ender's game universe, that can take up some of your time in between Sanderson binges. Lots of books, cool stuff. Ender's series is better than the shadow series IMO

I highly recommend Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe if you want something really involved. It's a strange and beautiful series, the memoirs of a wandering Torturer's apprentice with an eidetic memory but serious flaws, where the story itself is interesting but the hidden hints and layers of story are almost unrivalled. It is written as fantasy but is actually scifi (I won't say more than that coz spoilers). It has the most remarkably tight prose I've ever read and is one of those very rare books where you could read all 4 (or 5 if you count the reluctant sequel) in a month, but once you realize how much you missed the reread can take 6 times as long.

It's not my favorite genre story ever but it's probably the most unique. You end up treating it like an actual long lost record of a list civilisation in the form of an autobiography, where the 'author' is just talking about his life in a matter of fact way but you wade through every word trying to uncover what is factual that he skims over.