Spolier what is Szeth now Spolier

bdoble97

Is Szeth a ghost half dead half alive? Or is half his soul in shadesmare and the other have in the physical realm. I really like the idea of there being a ghostly image of him when he moves around thats just cool. I dont think he is a ghost bc his hair would not be growing right. I wish we got to hear nightblood talk. 

Edited by bdoble97

35 minutes ago, jofwu said:

I think Brandon described it saying it's as if his cognitive self is lagging behind his physical self. Having died and been brought back to life, the reconnection left a little wiggle room between the two.

That sounds cool. I wounder if that will grant him abilities. Do you think he will join the good guy eventually. 

I totally miss that when I read the story. Yeah, I think he somehow gonna turn into helping the good guys. Szeth is a very interesting character being controlled and that in the past but not anymore. Now he also have Nightblood, a sword with conscience. It's gonna get very interesting where Mr. Sanderson gonna go next with his story.

2 hours ago, randalthor said:

I totally miss that when I read the story. Yeah, I think he somehow gonna turn into helping the good guys. Szeth is a very interesting character being controlled and that in the past but not anymore. Now he also have Nightblood, a sword with conscience. It's gonna get very interesting where Mr. Sanderson gonna go next with his story.

I hope he does. I am so interested in Szeth now. Was never a big fan of his on the 1st 2 books. But now him with nightblood and the idea of him going to the good guy makes him so much more appealing to me. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Bonding with Sword-Nimi was giving him a stronger connection to the Cognetive Realm?

On 2/10/2017 at 4:37 PM, Patricksinger said:

Has anyone asked if Nale is able to szeth's shadow 

QUESTION

Could only Lift see Szeth's afterimages?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Anyone sufficiently Invested can see them. Connection to the Cognitive Realm helps, too.

Nale still has his Honorblade and Surgebinding so i'd guess that he is able too ^_^

On 2/19/2017 at 6:52 PM, AerionBFII said:

I thought Bonding with Sword-Nimi was giving him a stronger connection to the Cognetive Realm?

Nale still has his Honorblade and Surgebinding so i'd guess that he is able too ^_^

Szeth's afterimages are not because of a stronger connection with the Cognitive Realm, but because his soul isn't sticking to his body quite right:

Also: the Returned on Nalthis are cognitive shadows, shoved into and firmly attached to their dead bodies by virtue of that enormous "divine Breath" they're given. And Szeth is not a cognitive shadow; his real soul was returned to his body... it just isn't sticking very well. Hence the afterimages.

Source

Lift is the one with the stronger connection to the Cognitive Realm, which allows her to see the images. But that's not the reason why they exist.

Spoiler

So what is the difference between a cognitive shadow and your "real soul". I thought Kelsier is a cognitive shadow, but I also thought that was his "real soul". If that isn't the case, is the "real" Kelsier out there somewhere?

(mistborn secret history spoiler) (not sure if that matters anymore)

Edited by Shard Slayer

5 hours ago, Landis963 said:

Mistborn:SH spoiler

Hide contents

Kelsier lost his connection to the Physical Realm when his body died.  Szeth was resurrected before his soul got to that point.  

Ah. I see. So your 'soul' is a cognitive shadow once it loses it's connection to your body. On Nalthis, those cognitive shadows are pushed forcefully enough back to make a firm connection, Szeth's soul wasn't totally severed, but also wasn't reattached perfectly. But because his soul wasn't entirely severed (existing only in the cognitive realm) he wasn't ever a shadow.

2 hours ago, Shard Slayer said:

Ah. I see. So your 'soul' is a cognitive shadow once it loses it's connection to your body. On Nalthis, those cognitive shadows are pushed forcefully enough back to make a firm connection, Szeth's soul wasn't totally severed, but also wasn't reattached perfectly. But because his soul wasn't entirely severed (existing only in the cognitive realm) he wasn't ever a shadow.

Precisely (minus the necessary quibbling about how the "soul" is really your mind + your soul - it's complicated).  I suspect that it would take a Shard's intervention to re-pack a departed soul back into its body perfectly, a la the Returned.  Any similar effort by someone with a lesser amount of Investiture would probably fail or result in a Cognitive afterimage.  

Also your instinct re: spoilers is correct (namely, it's good that it's there), if only because Mistborn: SH is a Mistborn book, and not a Stormlight book.  

Edited by Landis963

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2017 at 3:10 PM, Landis963 said:

I suspect that it would take a Shard's intervention to re-pack a departed soul back into its body perfectly, a la the Returned.  Any similar effort by someone with a lesser amount of Investiture would probably fail or result in a Cognitive afterimage.

Lift resurrecting Gawx in her interlude is a bit of a counter to this assumption. As far as we know, Gawx does not have an afterimage and his soul was not "repacked" by a shard.

1 hour ago, CaptainRyan said:

Lift resurrecting Gawx in her interlude is a bit of a counter to this assumption. As far as we know, Gawx does not have an afterimage and his soul was not "repacked" by a shard.

Lift was right there on the spot to save Gawx.  Darkness, OTOH, deliberately waited until Szeth was "dead for certain" (his words) before resurrecting him.  My conjecture is that Gawx's soul didn't have a chance to unpack, so to speak.  

12 hours ago, Calderis said:

Gawx was resurrected using the surge of regrowth. This could be an example of a fabrial being unable to perfectly mimic the surge it's modeled after. 

I find this theory plausible though I am do not know if it is correct or not. My comment was only a response to the previous statement saying that only a shard, ala Endowment and the Returned, is able to resurrect with no issues.

Brandon has said there's a difference between dead and mostly dead. We know that there's a time gap between physical death, staying in the cognitive realm and passing on to the Beyond. My take is that Szeth died physically, but was resurrected from the cognitive realm or possibly just as he was passing from it. I think this happened so that, if he was actually bound to the oathstone (which is possible with Honor's binding systems and perception mattering) that bond could be severed. But I have my doubts a fabrial would fully create a cognitive shadow. Whereas returned are true cognitive shadows, their soul is stapled back into their dead body from the Beyond. I believe Szeth, like a Returned, would need a regular intake of investiture to keep his soul stapled to his body and we know Szeth cannot access stormlight any more. Gawx I think was simply healed while he was still fully in the cognitive realm. I can't be sure of that but barring a WoB I haven't seen, I'm pretty confident of that.

Do we know that Szeth cannot gain investiture from Stormlight anymore?  He doesn't have the honor blade anymore, but does he have a high-spren?  That is what Nale's apprentices do.

Also, I don't think Nale has his honorblade.

Windle said he had a spren. Which could be a mistake, but I don't think it is.

Ifso, then it implies he's been the longest surviving Radiant. I think he became a Radiant after the Recreance perhaps? or maybe before and he has simply kept a low profile for a LONG time. I think he would not have too much trouble attracting a High Spren. He's a Fanatic about law. He's rather reminiscent of Javier from Les Miserables.

Sure, there has been plenty of time for him to recover his Honor blade from the Shin, but I don't think that is what happened. There is a reason the honorblades were left behind when the oathpact was shattered and Talanelenalat was the only one of the Heralds to be bound and tortured. I believe the Heralds needed to leave the blades behind to be free, but I think that Nale has no honorblade, but a high spren.

I think this ties in with a few things Szeth said as well. As Truthless, he seems to fear or expect that He'll be bound and tortured for all that he is 'owed'. This seems reminiscent of Talanelenalat's fate and the fate the other Herald's fled.

26 minutes ago, xianpoxi said:

Also, I don't think Nale has his honorblade.

He does.

Is Nalan using his original Honorblade, or did he bond a spren?

Brandon Sanderson

He's using his original Honorblade. But there's an asterisk here that will come up in Oathbringer.

26 minutes ago, xianpoxi said:

Do we know that Szeth cannot gain investiture from Stormlight anymore?

We do. Or at the very least, we did. This WoB is from before Edgedancer, so things might have changed for the character in the time period before/after that Novella and Oathbringer

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood can feed off Stormlight, but Szeth can't draw in Stormlight right now. So Szeth better not draw that sword, for a while at least.

31 minutes ago, xianpoxi said:

As Truthless, he seems to fear or expect that He'll be bound and tortured for all that he is 'owed'.

As pointed out by Szeth, and subsequently a few people on here: This is due to the fact that us "stonewalkers" make the assumption that being Truthless absolves him of his sins. Szeth feels responsible for all the chaos and death he has caused, despite being ordered to do it by others.
I see the line as referencing the realization that he's gonna go down south for what he's done, rather than to heaven. That he knows he's a bad person and that whatever happens to him in the afterlife is what he deserves.

• 2 weeks later...