The Licanius Trilogy

DarkJester

I was just curious about whether anyone on here has read this yet. The first book, The Shadow of What Was Lost is the only one out, and apparently book two is coming out in June. I've gotta say, it's actually pretty good. I know people ask for book recommendations from time to time, so I'm going to recommend this one. Writing quality is about on par with Brandon. Actually a lot of sites say if you liked the wheel of time, you'll like this one. Never read the wheel of time series myself, but I can say this is pretty entertaining. Give it a read if your looking for something new to read while waiting on Oathbringer.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, AerionBFII said:

I check James Islingtons Updates weekly... even though his updates happen monthly.. thats how much I loved the first book, haha.

Three sharders recommending a book should be enough to arm twist at least a few people into trying it right?

I just bought Book 1.....lots of great feedback on this board and a few others I browse.  Looking forward to reading it in a few weeks!

• 5 months later...

Anyone reading book 2 yet (An Echo of Things to Come)? I'm about 2/3 of the way through, and I am really liking it a lot. The only thing that worries me is that there are a ton of moving pieces here, and I'm not sure how any of this will be satisfactorily resolved in just one more volume. Hopefully, the author has it all planned out to make it happen as needs to. 

Apologies for the double post, but I just finished An Echo of Things to Come, and dude... This is a great series. I have no doubt now that Islington is going to be able to wrap things up satisfactorily in just one more volume. Yeah, there's a lot going on, but I think it can be done. I also could imagine it going on for ten more books because of everything happening, but this volume satisfied me that the author knows how to deal with a ton of different plotlines and economically resolve them in a satisfying way. I am very impressed with the series.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to necro an old thread but seemed silly to start a new one. 

Who else has read the second book? I finished it last night and my head is still spinning. Trying to wrap my brain around the timeline of the final events in the book. 

This is really a good series and I’d even call it great considering it’s the first two books the Author has written. I liked the first book a lot and then kind of forgotten about it. I saw the second book was released and re-read the first which is a good thing because the author does not hold your hand reminding you of everything that happens while reading the second book. 

Really looking forward to the third book!

57 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

I noticed that Kramer is the narrator for this series.

That’s actually how I found out about the series! I was looking at books narrated by Kramer and picked this specifically for that reason. I’m in a car a big part of the day and I’ve found I’ll pretty much enjoy listening to anything he narrates. This was a present surprise because I liked the story as well.  I have since also read the first book and only listened to the second but plan on reading that one too. 

• 1 month later...

Yes!  I love this series so far, although the time travel + amnesia aspects occasionally make my brain hurt.  It can make for a tricky read. 

BUT OMG one of the best things about these books is that you as the reader are frantically putting together a giant insane puzzle while the characters themselves are clueless about the pieces.

Edited by Zellyia

1 hour ago, Zellyia said:

Yes!  I love this series so far, although the time travel + amnesia aspects occasionally make my brain hurt.  It can make for a tricky read. 

BUT OMG one of the best things about these books is that you as the reader are frantically putting together a giant insane puzzle while the characters themselves are clueless about the pieces.

The end of the second book had me scratching my head for a while. I’m still not completely sure what happened when but that’s part of the fun.