Radiants Grouping Together (contains very minor Edgedancer spoiler)

MoS03

A character in Edgedancer,

Spoiler

Darkness 

mentions "(Paraphrased) Radiants somehow find each other, and group up."

We see this dynamic specifically alluded to in WoR. Shallan's reaction to Jasnah's solution to her Soulcaster(item). (Paraphrased)"How easy would everything have been if I had just asked for help."

Who's to say Shallan would have become her ward, exposed her intelligence enough to be shown Jasnah's theories about the Parshmen, shown Jasnah her ability to Soulcast, or been invited to join her in the Shattered plans? Sure, the plan to somehow steal the Soulcaster from Jasnah was a bit farfetched, but I argue that it had to be in order to ensure that Shallan "grouped" with Jasnah.

Eshonai in Interlude One mentions a fervent need to speak with Dalinar, whom is on his way to becoming a Radiant at the time, and she's been theorized to be a budding Radiant as well.

This theory is somewhat weak, but I'm arguing that perhaps all of Roshar is so invested that perhaps some of it (spren specifically, but possibly something else like with Sel?) is actually guiding some events? Eshonai being more attuned to the Cognitive is perhaps actually feeling this pull?

Perhaps certain nudges are what pushed Kaladin to slavery and then the bridge crews? Perhaps it's what pushed Lift to save Gawx?

I'm wondering if it's Honor and Cultivation's Intents pushing on events? Perhaps against Odium's? There's some possible anecdotal evidence in Edgedancer, but it doesn't back up anything I'm saying here. I guess we'll see if this is a continuing trend?

Perhaps something to do with the Ishar forcing the rules and regulations on them?

I know a lot of people say it was just the orders and the oaths that he implemented to guide the use of surge binding but perhaps something else was forced as well?

Some spiritual change all Nahel bonds cause that makes them naturally group up? SO that no one has to learn "alone"

Also Lift seems to be the outlying piece of datum here but her unique situation could be why

In Words of Radiance, when Jasnah and Shallan were on the ship Jasnah mentions that she believes that the cryptics lead Shallan to her, or otherwise implied that she believed Spren were responsible for Shallan finding Jasnah. Jasnah's theory may not be the truth, but it's the most concrete answer to the question Nalan's statement rose that I can find.

An alternate explaination is that Cultivation is responsible for this, and is manipulating events so that Radiants group up, but I find this less likely as Wyndle seems to believe that the Noghtwatcner has given up on Radiants.

7 hours ago, Blightsong said:

In Words of Radiance, when Jasnah and Shallan were on the ship Jasnah mentions that she believes that the cryptics lead Shallan to her, or otherwise implied that she believed Spren were responsible for Shallan finding Jasnah. Jasnah's theory may not be the truth, but it's the most concrete answer to the question Nalan's statement rose that I can find.

An alternate explaination is that Cultivation is responsible for this, and is manipulating events so that Radiants group up, but I find this less likely as Wyndle seems to believe that the Noghtwatcner has given up on Radiants.

Brandon also said sprens naturally gravitated towards similar cluster of individuals, preferring to associates themselves in people standing at the forefront of events as opposed to isolated ones. Obviously, not all sprens behave in the same manner, but it does explain why so many of them gravitated around the Kholins. Nale's comments made me think there might have been other similar formed clusters elsewhere on Roshar.

I think there is a more mundane explanation for why surge binders tend to gather, it goes like this:

Someone with power, magical, political or otherwise, will either by choice or not get involved in important events.

If the number of surgebinders is greater than the number of important events them it is inevitable that surgebinders will meet, and given there shared philosophy will form groups.

if we look at this by looking at lift you can see how it works:

-- Lifts power makes her a better theif so she gets recruited by a group of thieves for a big.

-- her power help her perform a "miracle" in front of other people with power cause a new emperor to be crowned.

-- her power causes her to come into conflict with darkness.

-- finally her conflict with darkness brings her together with another surgebinder.

basically my point is this would have happened even without the world being invested to the hilt.

So much for spoilers! Suffice to say Lift's actions will result in more surgebinders speaking more oaths. This may need to be moved to the ED spoiler board. 

Maybe this "grouping" is incidental, but I think not. The spren are either choosing people that already are gathered (Kholins) or guiding KRs together (Shallan, Kaladin, Lift).  For instance, Shallan and Kaladin's first meeting ensures that they will continue to have contact.

Isn't there a proposed theory that the town Jasnah ends up near in the WoR Epilogue is Hearthstone?

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 6:01 AM, MoS03 said:

Maybe this "grouping" is incidental, but I think not. The spren are either choosing people that already are gathered (Kholins) or guiding KRs together (Shallan, Kaladin, Lift).  For instance, Shallan and Kaladin's first meeting ensures that they will continue to have contact.

And in both the Kholin's case... and Shallan's case, the spren are choosing multiple people in the family (assuming speculation on Shallan's brother being a proto-radiant).   Makes you wonder what the back story on Lift's parents will be.

On 2/8/2017 at 8:01 AM, MoS03 said:

So much for spoilers! Suffice to say Lift's actions will result in more surgebinders speaking more oaths. This may need to be moved to the ED spoiler board. 

Isn't there a proposed theory that the town Jasnah ends up near in the WoR Epilogue is Hearthstone?

Yes me and others proposed that along with the Jasnah Kaladin love interest theory a while back.

5 minutes ago, maxal said:

I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember Brandon confirming Jasnah wasn't anywhere near Heartstone. 

Yeah this'll be the one.

QUESTION

In the Epilogue of Words of Radiance, Jasnah is talking with Hoid and Hoid mentions a nearby village. Is it Hearthstone?

BRANDON SANDERSON

No it is not. Good question. Because they're out in the Unclaimed Hills somewhere. They're not even in Alethkar.

4 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Cool didn't know he had answered that.. That theory was a long time ago though over a year ago.

The WoB was a while back, October 2015, I suspect the question was asked as a result of speculation at the time. Easy one to miss at was a very long transcript.

We now have a WoB on this from the latest signing! It's because a) spren watch areas with other spren and B) spiritual connection between an existing surgebinder and his/her friends/family. So someone adopted has the same likelihood as blood relations

Q: Is being a Knight Radiant at all genetic? Because you have Jasnah, Dalinar, and Renarin in the same family.

A: It is not genetic, however… Um… Families or people close to one another are more likely. It’s not genetic. So for instance, if everyone were adopted it would still have the same prevalence.

Q: Okay, fascinating!

A: Um, so there--

Q: [interruption hard to hear]

A: Well, there are a couple of reasons for that. One is which, attracting the attention of a spren can mean that other spren are paying attention to that area. There are also things in the Cosmere (the shared universe of them) where people are connected spiritually. Um… and that’s part of the magic as well. So… You are more likely to become a Radiant if you know a Radiant

• Chaos locked this topic