Metal and the Cosmere

grasshoppa

It may be a small thing, hardly worth note, but it's been bothering me since finishing Edgedancer; anyone else notice Wyndle's statement about having to be metal, and how there's a connection between a spren's physical realm aspect and metal?  

I already had suspicions that metal had relevance outside of Scadrial ( given how metal and souls glow alike, as well as the mystery metal ), but this confirms it, and I would love to know the significance of it.  

Like I said.  Small.  Probably insignificant, but it's still bothering me.

Just want to throw out that Brandon has indeed confirmed that Shardblades (and therefore living spren blades) are made of god metal. Since shards are fragments of the power of creation, and their power once condensed is a unique metal, one wonders if Adonalsium is not only the original 'All-Shard', but also the name of its god-metal.

Also, good luck trying to allomantically burn a shardblade.

6 minutes ago, Crucible of Shards said:

Also, good luck trying to allomantically burn a shardblade.

This got me thinking.   I bet you could do it by first creating an alloy with Lerasium, then divesting it of it's identity ( I'd assume you'd have to strip identify off the investiture stored in the metal ).  The actual investiture isn't a problem, as evident by compounders.  

As far as Adonalsium...interesting.  I've been trying to puzzle out how a shard^4 could be overpowered and split by 16 mortals, and that might help explain it.  

Ok, so assuming you could manage to physically burn a Shardblade, what could one expect to happen, since you are, in effect, burning a Splinter (the spren)? Would it make a difference if the spren was alive or dead? After all, like you mentioned, metals are close approximations of souls in the Cognitive...

21 minutes ago, Crucible of Shards said:

Ok, so assuming you could manage to physically burn a Shardblade, what could one expect to happen, since you are, in effect, burning a Splinter (the spren)? Would it make a difference if the spren was alive or dead? After all, like you mentioned, metals are close approximations of souls in the Cognitive...

Putting aside the ethics of burning the physical realm manifestation of a sentient being for a moment :P

I have no idea.  We've only really seen two god metals burned ( lerasium and atium ), and their reactions were different enough that I wouldn't feel comfortable extrapolating.  

48 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

The shardblades are so invested they're probsbly allomantically inert. The investiture in metalminds doesn't stop you since it's far less. 

Not sure level of investiture changes it's allomatic-accessibility, although I can imagine trying to burn too heavily invested a piece of metal would be dangerous/fatal to the allomancer.  

1 minute ago, grasshoppa said:

Not sure level of investiture changes it's allomatic-accessibility, although I can imagine trying to burn too heavily invested a piece of metal would be dangerous/fatal to the allomancer.  

It's been confirmed that items which are too invested cannot be burned allomantically. This is indicates that burning probsbly obeys the general principle of investiture interfering with other types of investiture effects.

37 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

It's been confirmed that items which are too invested cannot be burned allomantically. This is indicates that burning probsbly obeys the general principle of investiture interfering with other types of investiture effects.

Has it?   I must have missed it, my bad.  

Spoiler

That raises another fun question then; are shardblades more heavily invested than the god-metals Lerasium and Atium?  I had assumed they were effectively the same thing, but if they are too heavily invested to burn what's the difference?  

Edited by grasshoppa

22 minutes ago, grasshoppa said:

Has it?   I must have missed it, my bad.  

That raises another fun question then; are shardblades more heavily invested than the god-metals Lerasium and Atium?  I had assumed they were effectively the same thing, but if they are too heavily invested to burn what's the difference?  

Mistborn spoilers (please use them)

Spoiler

Personally, I don't think atium and lerasium are invested. They are the physical manifestation of investiture, but do not have further investiture in a more spiritual nature attached to the physical metal, which is what being invested is. They are not any more invested than other metals on Scadrial in my opinion, or if they are, it is only slightly.

On 2/7/2017 at 10:06 AM, Spoolofwhool said:

Mistborn spoilers (please use them)

Hide contents

Personally, I don't think atium and lerasium are invested. They are the physical manifestation of investiture, but do not have further investiture in a more spiritual nature attached to the physical metal, which is what being invested is. They are not any more invested than other metals on Scadrial in my opinion, or if they are, it is only slightly.

Word of Brandon suggests that they are. More Mistborn spoilers

Specifically, he says that you couldn't use Soulcasting to create more atium or lerasium because 'Investiture messes things like that up'.

Edited by Weltall

19 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Word of Brandon suggests that they are. More Mistborn spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

Specifically, he says that you couldn't use Soulcasting to create more atium or lerasium because 'Investiture messes things like that up'.

Spoiler

Well yes. You cannot create them using soulcasting because doing so would require the pure investiture of Ruin or Preservation, while soulcasting uses stormlight, which is the investiture of Honor, Cultivation and possibly some ambient investiture. You're using incompatible types of investiture.

1 hour ago, Spoolofwhool said:

which is the investiture of Honor, Cultivation

Wait so could you soulcast something into pseudo-shardplate or shardblades? I guess it would require a huge amount of investiture and you'd have to be very skilled/ knowledgeable but could Shallan eventually go to the cognitive realm in a highstorm and convince the gas form of the investiture that it was solid.

50 minutes ago, MadhavDeval said:

Wait so could you soulcast something into pseudo-shardplate or shardblades? I guess it would require a huge amount of investiture and you'd have to be very skilled/ knowledgeable but could Shallan eventually go to the cognitive realm in a highstorm and convince the gas form of the investiture that it was solid.

Shardblades... possibly. It hasn't exactly been qualified regarding the Investiture spren are composed of, but another WoB does suggest you can make spren out of stormlight. Therefore, I'm willing to say that it is theoretically possible, but probably not practically due to the amount of Investiture that would be needed. I don't know what shardplate is made out of, so I can't say for certain either, but since it does repair itself using stormlight, the answer is probably "theoretically yes."

• Chaos locked this topic