I Need Help Writing Fanfiction

I've hit a strange writer's block where the only thing I've been able to work on is a Voltron fanfic involving my own character. The subject of the fanfic isn't important, though. My problem is that it's really hard for me to write somebody else's characters. Whenever I start writing dialogue, I get caught up thinking, "Would they really talk like this?" "How would they react?" "What would they think in a situation like this?", and then I stop writing. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions. I know all writing blocks pass, but I'd like to finish something for once in my life.

I'm not huge on writing fanfiction, but what I often do when I'm not feeling the characters is that I'll do a character Interview or situation where I just write a situation and write how they would react. It can be writing a full passage or just noting down a few ideas.

You could also try going back to the source material, or looking through fan art and stuff for inspiration. 

Also, the classic advice that never works (yes, I'm being a hypocrite here by suggesting this); just writing whatever you think sounds fine, then editing it later.

On 06/02/2017 at 6:02 PM, Physicist of the Cosmere said:

I've hit a strange writer's block where the only thing I've been able to work on is a Voltron fanfic involving my own character. The subject of the fanfic isn't important, though. My problem is that it's really hard for me to write somebody else's characters. Whenever I start writing dialogue, I get caught up thinking, "Would they really talk like this?" "How would they react?" "What would they think in a situation like this?", and then I stop writing. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions. I know all writing blocks pass, but I'd like to finish something for once in my life.

Hmmm. 

Is the writer's block the fact u can only working on this Voltron fanfic? or is the writer's block the fact you cannot write another's character?

As Calypso has stated, you could, of course, go back through the source material, but I think the problem is more to do with the show itself. Obviously you cannot empathise with them, you don't know them very well. That can be either the show's fault or your own. I haven't watched Voltron, but the reviews are pretty good, so I'm going to assume it's a problem with you, perhaps on a psychological level. How close do you find yourself with the characters? Have you even payed real attention to the characters or have u just been focusing on the plot?

On 2/12/2017 at 1:00 AM, Darkness Ascendant said:

Hmmm. 

Is the writer's block the fact u can only working on this Voltron fanfic? or is the writer's block the fact you cannot write another's character?

As Calypso has stated, you could, of course, go back through the source material, but I think the problem is more to do with the show itself. Obviously you cannot empathise with them, you don't know them very well. That can be either the show's fault or your own. I haven't watched Voltron, but the reviews are pretty good, so I'm going to assume it's a problem with you, perhaps on a psychological level. How close do you find yourself with the characters? Have you even payed real attention to the characters or have u just been focusing on the plot?

It's the fact that I can only work on this fanfic. Also, I think being too focused on the plot was my problem. That's kind of a weakness in my writing in general, I get too caught up in what's happening and what people are saying that I often neglect imagery and tone.