Guesses for future prologue perspectives?

PatronOfRot

27 minutes ago, phoenix2563 said:

I agree with Gavilar with being the book 5 pov, but I am thinking the book 4 could be Renarin.

We currently know very little of his whereabouts that night, and could have played a more pivotal role than meets the eye from what we know of his abilities.  Also fits in with the theme with prologue pov characters being future flashback characters (with Gavilar being the book 5 exception).  

It could also potentially be from Shalash and keep to the "future flashback character" pattern as we know she was there at some point that day defacing a statue of herself.

Don't think it is Taravangian or Amaram as the most important actions/conversations by them likely included Gavilar and would be covered in the book 5 pov.

As far as we can tell, the Kholin boys weren't at the feast. Adolin didn't even know his father was drunk which implies he wasn't around at the time of Gavilar's death and if Adolin wasn't around, chances are much younger Renarin wasn't. 

48 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Back five prologues:

Perhaps Heralds viewpoints of the Prelude? So far we had Kalak's perpsective on walking away from the Oathpact.

The wording of this WoB may be misleading but I think he means it 

INTERVIEW: Mar 21st, 2014

WOR Signing Table Q&A (Verbatim)

QUESTION

Are we going to get ten different perspectives for Gavilar's death?

BRANDON SANDERSON

You will get five.

24 minutes ago, Extesian said:

The wording of this WoB may be misleading but I think he means it

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm wondering what would be the back five prologue event. The front five is the Gavilar's assassination which is an important event from which many plotlines stem. The back five could be an even more important one, namely Herald's deciding to walk away from their Blades and leaving Taln alone.

36 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm wondering what would be the back five prologue event. The front five is the Gavilar's assassination which is an important event from which many plotlines stem. The back five could be an even more important one, namely Herald's deciding to walk away from their Blades and leaving Taln alone.

Oh my apologies Oversleep, I completely misread what you said, I thought you were suggesting 5 versions of the prologue from 5 different Heralds. Your actual idea is MUCH better.

24 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I'm actually pretty sad about Eshonai being our prologue POV. I am not very fond of the Parshendi in general, and Eshonai felt kind of bland in WoR. I really don't see what her POV would add. 

I'm assuming then you haven't read the prologue transcript from a reading he did earlier this year? I won't spoil it, but I love it. More than the Jasnah one. And I don't like Eshonai either. It's the information in it...

8 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I'm actually pretty sad about Eshonai being our prologue POV. I am not very fond of the Parshendi in general, and Eshonai felt kind of bland in WoR. I really don't see what her POV would add. 

I also find Eshonai to be a bland not too interesting to read character but I too have to echo the fact her prologue is actually good. The insights she gives us is priceless and the tip bits we learn on her is also interesting. This being said, it will take more than that to sell me a book with her as a focus character. 

I was hoping that Nalan would be the prologue focus for Szeth's flashback book, but I have to agree that it doesn't seem too likely :(

Hoid could be a fun one, he'd been running around on Roshar for a while before becoming Wit. I wonder if he was even at the feast... Maybe we could get Navani's viewpoint?

2 hours ago, Darkness said:

Hoid could be a fun one, he'd been running around on Roshar for a while before becoming Wit. I wonder if he was even at the feast... Maybe we could get Navani's viewpoint?

I would be surprised if Hoid wasn't on the feast. Probably dressed as a beggar. Hoid likes beggars, for some reason.

I dont see what Navani could add though.

I would not want Hoid. He was not an active participant of Gavilar's assassination: I see no purpose for him to get a prologue. There are so many more interesting players available: Gavilar, Amaram, Sadeas, Aesudan, Elhokar even Nalan. In fact, there are too many interesting participants for what the two open spots.

18 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I would be surprised if Hoid wasn't on the feast. Probably dressed as a beggar. Hoid likes beggars, for some reason.

I dont see what Navani could add though.

that's just the thing. Like Jasnah, Navani wasn't really mentioned in the previous prologues. She was presumably off doing her own thing. It's a completely blank creative space that could easily be used as an engaging plot element. For example, maybe Navani was in the background and retreated with the women when the night wore on, perhaps she was pulling political strings and setting plans into motion. Perhaps she spent a portion of the evening with Aesudan. I wouldn't have guessed Jasnah was meeting with Liss, so initially I would have said "what could Jasnah possibly add?" :D

9 hours ago, Darkness said:

that's just the thing. Like Jasnah, Navani wasn't really mentioned in the previous prologues. She was presumably off doing her own thing. It's a completely blank creative space that could easily be used as an engaging plot element. For example, maybe Navani was in the background and retreated with the women when the night wore on, perhaps she was pulling political strings and setting plans into motion. Perhaps she spent a portion of the evening with Aesudan. I wouldn't have guessed Jasnah was meeting with Liss, so initially I would have said "what could Jasnah possibly add?" :D

True. There are others who are deserving of a prologue as well however. And I think that Sadeas, Amaram, Elhokar and others have more interesting things to offer, both character-wise and plot-wise. But as you say, we can never know.

I also have to admit to a bit of a personal bias here. I am more interested in Sadeas, Amaram and Elhokar than Navani. I find her quite boring to be honest.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/13/2017 at 1:05 PM, maxal said:

Actually, Brandon wants to alternate in between female and male focus characters because he feels it makes a nice symmetry. He might not do it though if he feels it stops making sense.

Wait, Brandon actually said this? All this time I've been positing that as a theory based on how he ordered the back five characters in this one WoB...

On 8/14/2017 at 4:43 AM, Overstorm said:

Back five prologues:

Perhaps Heralds viewpoints of the Prelude? So far we had Kalak's perspective on walking away from the Oathpact.

Depending on how things turn out, maybe the prologue of Taln's book could be his final battle of that Desolation, winning the impossible fight and dying in the process. It'd be the action-packed prologue for the back half, the way Szeth's is for the front five.

On 8/22/2017 at 7:27 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

I am more interested in Sadeas, Amaram and Elhokar than Navani. I find her quite boring to be honest.

Sadeas: Mostly interested in his interactions with Gavilar and Blackthorn Dalinar than anything else.
Amaram: Eh. A smidge curious about Sons of Honor though, so..
Elhokar: Never really cared about him to be honest.
Navani: I actually like Navani
, but I'd be lying if i said I wasn't also interested in Fabrial-Tech anytime I said I wanted her to have more screentime.

4 hours ago, Head Crabs said:

I dont see these types of prologues extending past the first 5 books of SA. 

You're absolutely right. There's a WoB in which Brandon said we will get 5 views of the night of Gavilar's death. 

Presumably, the back will highlight a different event. I'm hoping for the Heralds and the breaking of the Oathpact. 

46 minutes ago, Head Crabs said:

Omg, i want something from heleran. 

I believe this is possible. Iirc, when balat met heleran in the city and was telling shallan about it later, he says heleran told him "the next time I leave I may not be back for some time".... makes me think he knew he was fixing to world hop. Maybe he loaned his shards out before he left? While possible... I don't think it likely.

Edited by RazeU

• Chaos locked this topic