Guesses for future prologue perspectives?

PatronOfRot

Way of Kings' prologue was from Szeth's perspective.

Words of Radiance's prologue was from Jasnah's perspective.

Oathbringer Spoiler:

Spoiler

Oathbringer's prologue is from Eshonai's perspective.

Who else do you expect to hear from in the prologues?

I expect we'll hear from Dalinar and Galivar himself, although I'm not sure when. Galivar I could see in book 5 or 10, depending if the prologues of the back half take place during the same night as the first half. I could see them switching to a new event. Perhaps the ending of book 5 to allow the perspectives if second sequence characters?

I'm not sure we'll get Dalinar, he was blind drunk. If we do though it may be mostly the aftermath, but I suspect that will be one of his flashbacks in Oathbringer. I expect we'll see Gavilar's but i think in the 5th, I suspect the second arc prologues will be a different event. 

I think we may see it from Sadeas' perspective. Brandon has said we can see flashbacks from a dead character and he had a remarkable role on the night, for all his flaws he was the bravest one and probably closest in Gavilar's planning at the time.

Yeah. I'm not sure Adolin or Navani would be much different information either.

Maybe Renarin depending on when he bonded his spren. Is he mentioned much in any prologues that we have read? I forget.

Nale or his friend would be very interesting. Or I suppose Elhokar who was talking to them at least.

So far, all the prologue viewpoints have been focal characters in upcoming books. Obviously that can't be true for the whole series (I think the logical maximum is 7 out of 10), but it might predict a few of them. Remaining possibilities include:

Renarin
Lift
Taln
Shalash

And as for the other three... Gavilar? Taravangian? Maybe focal characters from future series, like Hoid? 

Gavilar's assassination will only be in the first five prologues.

I tie prologue PoVs with the flashback characters:

Szeth/Kaladin (I think it's obvious - both Windrunners, one tries to protect, one must kill. They were set up for a battle since the beginning)

Jasnah/Shallan (master-student realtionship and few other things)

Spoiler

I have long suspected that the PoV to pair off Dalinar would be Eshonai - both leaders of their people, both generals of their respective armies etc

the other two flashback characters are Eshonai and Szeth.

I think Book Five will be Gavilar/Szeth. It provides nice closure (the first prologue is viewed form the mind of the killer, the last from the victim) and Gavilar's got to be the last as he will reveal the most. However, if Gavilar ends up as the Prologue Four, I will start running around screaming "WHO IS THE PROLOGUE FIVE CHARACTER, BRANDON? WHAT HAVE YOU PREPARED FOR US?!".

Szeth's flashback will provide insight in Shin culture and it could be vital to overarching plot - Shin are the keepers of the Honorblades after all. It will also explain why he raised Desolation alarm which could also be important.

This leaves us with Book Four being Eshonai's flashback. Who could we pair her off with? Who else was on the feast? Amaram? Nale? The other male Herald (probably Kalak)? Elhokar? Taravangian? Shalash (maybe?) I rule out Dalinar unless he had a really interesting drunken dream.

Herald being prologue PoV in her book would work on dichotomy of... well, Herald - Voidbringer (I mean, she is a Voidbringer now. I don't know whether she will continue to be).

Amaram - Son of Honor, wants to cause Desolation; Eshonai wanted to stop Parshendi gods from returning, hence Gavilar's assassination.

Elhokar doesn't seem an active player at the time, so I mostly rule him out.

Taravangian... I don't know.

12 hours ago, nervousnerd said:

Yeah. I'm not sure Adolin or Navani would be much different information either.

Maybe Renarin depending on when he bonded his spren. Is he mentioned much in any prologues that we have read? I forget.

Nale or his friend would be very interesting. Or I suppose Elhokar who was talking to them at least.

Renarin and Adolin weren't at the feast when Gavilar was killed. It can't be them: they were rather young back then and it was late. If the boys were around early on, they weren't there anymore when it happens. Adolin never saw his father drunk and needed to be told what had actually happened, proof enough he wasn't around and if Adolin wasn't around, it is safe to assume Renarin wasn't either.

My personal money would be on Amaram.

20 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Gavilar's assassination will only be in the first five prologues.

I tie prologue PoVs with the flashback characters:

Szeth/Kaladin (I think it's obvious - both Windrunners, one tries to protect, one must kill. They were set up for a battle since the beginning)

Jasnah/Shallan (master-student realtionship and few other things)

Hide contents

I have long suspected that the PoV to pair off Dalinar would be Eshonai - both leaders of their people, both generals of their respective armies etc

the other two flashback characters are Eshonai and Szeth.

I think Book Five will be Gavilar/Szeth. It provides nice closure (the first prologue is viewed form the mind of the killer, the last from the victim) and Gavilar's got to be the last as he will reveal the most. However, if Gavilar ends up as the Prologue Four, I will start running around screaming "WHO IS THE PROLOGUE FIVE CHARACTER, BRANDON? WHAT HAVE YOU PREPARED FOR US?!".

Szeth's flashback will provide insight in Shin culture and it could be vital to overarching plot - Shin are the keepers of the Honorblades after all. It will also explain why he raised Desolation alarm which could also be important.

This leaves us with Book Four being Eshonai's flashback. Who could we pair her off with? Who else was on the feast? Amaram? Nale? The other male Herald (probably Kalak)? Elhokar? Taravangian? Shalash (maybe?) I rule out Dalinar unless he had a really interesting drunken dream.

Herald being prologue PoV in her book would work on dichotomy of... well, Herald - Voidbringer (I mean, she is a Voidbringer now. I don't know whether she will continue to be).

Amaram - Son of Honor, wants to cause Desolation; Eshonai wanted to stop Parshendi gods from returning, hence Gavilar's assassination.

Elhokar doesn't seem an active player at the time, so I mostly rule him out.

Taravangian... I don't know.

Perhaps Sadeas?

Both protectors of their people turned betrayer?

He was the one who came up with the "King in Plate" plan.

Edited by PatronOfRot

Taravangian, and then Gavilar himself would be my guesses for 4th and 5th respectively.  Gavilar just feels "obvious" to me as one, but more importantly, his would reveal the events that led up to why the Parshendi made their move... assuming we don't get that by then.

I like the idea of Gavilar being the final one, to bring the first arc of the series full circle as it were. And I second that Dalinar isn't likely to get a prologue POV since he was passed out when all the exciting things were happening. Maybe he could describe the treaty signing itself but several other potential POVs could do that just as well. Seeing the aftermath from the perspective of a hung-over Blackthorn might be kind of amusing but I doubt it would be much more illuminating since we already know his thoughts on that night and there's probably not too much he could add.

Another possibility, for those who have heard the Oathbringer prologue reading, is The Voice. For those who have, I suspect it is

Spoiler

one of the Unmade. Seems doubtful for a PoV but if we're at that stage it could be a fascinating PoV, we could get insight into the influence of the Unmade and Odium and see a lot of plans coming together.

6 hours ago, Extesian said:

Another possibility, for those who have heard the Oathbringer prologue reading, is The Voice. For those who have, I suspect it is

Reveal hidden contents

one of the Unmade. Seems doubtful for a PoV but if we're at that stage it could be a fascinating PoV, we could get insight into the influence of the Unmade and Odium and see a lot of plans coming together.

I'm still going with unmade-in-a-box [\spoiler]

4 minutes ago, nervousnerd said:

Do we have WoB that it was definitely Kalak who was with Nale?

Well, we are fairly certain it is a Herald, so it goes down to process of elimination. Cannot be Nale, he's person 2. Cannot be Taln, he's in hell. Should not be Jezrien, because he says that Szeth has "my lord's own blade" rather than "my own blade." That narrows it down to Kalak and Ishar.

Per the carvings on the borders of the Surgebinding chart: Ishar has a beard and Kalak doesn't. Szeth describes mystery Herald as Alethi, and nothing more. Jasnah describes him as ... drat. Same thing: "he could've been Alethi." So no, we don't know for sure, but it's largely assumed for some reason.

He's definitely a herald, based on his conversation with Nale in Jasnah's prologue. He's definitely a man, so that cuts the number in half.

We know Nale, and he's with Nale. So it's not Nale.

Taln is presumably in Damnation or on Braize or whatever. And the man's talk about "we weren't supposed to get worse" implies he's one of the Heralds who stayed. So it's not Taln.

The "my lord's own blade" line suggests it isn't Jezrien (who is the "lord"). You could argue that it's Jezrien speaking of Honor... But there's good support that Jezrien is the beggar, including Nale's line in Lift's interlude which suggests Jezrien isn't doing so hot. ("May he lead in wisdom. If he ever stops drooling.”)

In my opinion this VERY STRONGLY implies that the man is Kalak or Ishar.

Evidence against Ishar? Ishar's depiction gives him a massive beard and a bald head while Kalak looks relatively plain. I think you would expect Jasnah or Szeth to comment on the man's appearance if there was anything notable about it. And from Edgedancer...

Spoiler

Nale seems to have a LOT of respect (maybe even reference) for Ishar. The relationship between the two men in the prologue doesn't give any hint of that. They seem more like equals.

Evidence in favor of Kalak? We know from the Prelude that Kalak has a lot of respect for Jezrien, and views him as a king. Thus the "my lord" strongly fits what we know for him. I would also argue that his personality in both prologues (kind of timid? nervous?) fits the little we know of Kalak from the Prelude.

So between Kalak and Ishar the evidence isn't STRONG one way or the other. But it certainly suggests Kalak more than Ishar.

• 3 weeks later...

I Think book four prolugue feature Taravangian.

WoR: chapter I-14, Taravangian; near the end

It are worked. Just as the Diagram instructed, Taravangian was king of Jah Keved. He had taken the first major step toward unifying the world, as Gavilarhad insisted would need to happen if they were to survive.

That was, at least, what the vision had proclaimed. Vision Gavilar had confided in him six years ago, the night of rhe Alethi king's death. Gavilar had seen vision of the Almighty, who also now dead, and a coming storm.

Mr T. spoke whit Gavilar that night, and i don't think by a spanreed, but face to face in the palace.

This make a Taravangian - Szeth book, a good pair for the @Oversleep theory, an assassin and his puppeteer.

Edited by Fulminato

• 5 months later...
26 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

No, it had not "always been the plan"; there were no firm confirmations until now.

There has been several confirmations of book 4 being Eshonai's. This hardly is the first one. It however won't be official until Brandon actually writes it.