The Dor

Street So maybe I've been very dense fur a long time, but Khriss mentions that the Dor is a combination of Devotion AND Dominion in AU. 

Is this known fact? I always assumed the Dor was an in world term for Devotion, acc vs Skaze tapped into Dominion. Just considering how the two cultures operated  the past. I.e Elantrians are an open accepting society, Jaddeth's followers follow a stricter Feudal hierarchy.

So I g guess my question is, how did these Splinters bond into a cohesive whole?

This is a recent WoB that gives your answer :)

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, it would work the same way. The only magic that is location-dependent-- the ones who aren’t interested in this, just hum to yourself, okay? You don’t need to know any of this stuff to enjoy the books, okay? I’ve [written] them so that each series can be read independently, and enjoyed. There is behind the scenes stuff, and if you want to dig, it goes pretty deep. So on Sel, we have AonDor. AonDor is based on the fact that the Dor, which is an amalgamation of Dominion and Devotion, has been pressed together and stuffed into the Cognitive Realm by Odium who didn’t want it to gain sentience, as Investiture will do if it is left alone. It will either seek someone to be its Vessel or it will gain sentience. He pressed it in there; he pressed it together, which creates the violent reaction, because those two Intents are opposed. And that is the foundation of the magic. Because it’s stuck in the Cognitive Realm rather than the Spiritual Realm (the Spiritual Realm is location-independent; Cognitive Realm is location-dependent), it makes the magic on Sel only work in close proximity to what is keyed through there to the location they’re keyed to. This has to do with Identity and Connection--mostly Connection. So that means you can’t do AonDor on another planet, but you can do other magics works anywhere, because they’re drawing the magics specifically through either the place, or they’re end-neutral, like Breath is, and don’t need any extra power.

14 minutes ago, DocHoliday said:

Thank you for the WoB. I'm aware of  Splinters and such on Sel. I've read all his Cosmere books, which is why I feel really silly for not being aware of thus fact.

So much of 'common' knowledge of the cosmere is from here and his interviews and only ever hinted at in the books. No need at all to feel silly :)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:28 PM, Extesian said:

This is a recent WoB that gives your answer :)

"has been pressed together and stuffed into the Cognitive Realm by Odium who didn’t want it to gain sentience, as Investiture will do if it is left alone. It will either seek someone to be its Vessel or it will gain sentience."

Wait.  Odium knew investiture would gain sentience how?   Because he saw it before somewhere?   Have we seen it before?  (Unmade I guess?, but was that before shattering D&D?)   Seems like what Odium did to D&D on Sel was not a rash plan... but a well though out strategy.  He didn't just "pop" over there and do the deed... he really thought out in advance about how to kill them, who to ally with, and where to stash the bodies.

27 minutes ago, djammmer said:

Wait.  Odium knew investiture would gain sentience how?   Because he saw it before somewhere?   Have we seen it before?  (Unmade I guess?, but was that before shattering D&D?)   Seems like what Odium did to D&D on Sel was not a rash plan... but a well though out strategy.  He didn't just "pop" over there and do the deed... he really thought out in advance about how to kill them, who to ally with, and where to stash the bodies.

We know that the power of a Shard, whole or splintered, will gain sentience either by finding a sentient host (in the case of a Shard with no vessel) or will gain sentience itself.

• INTON

If Endowment were killed, would the Returned still come?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Somebody needs to hold the magic. If no one holds the magic, the magic will start to gain sentience. Interesting and bizarre things happen then, so I would say yes, but with the caveat that with whoever picks up the power or what happens with the power could end up changing that.

• BRANDON SANDERSON

Splinter is a term used by certain people in the cosmere for power of Adonalsium which has no person caring for it, no... no person holding it, which has attained self-awareness.

WETLANDER

So is that like the mists and the Well? Are they...

BRANDON SANDERSON

They are not, because they have not attained self-awareness. But, the Seons are self-aware. So, any piece, for instance there were some spren on Roshar before Honor and Cultivation got there. Those were already Splinters of Adonalsium where he had left power which attained sentience on its own. So, it can be intentional is what I am saying, does that make sense? You have seen other splinters.

I imagine if that's the case, Odium either knew it because a Shard knows a LOT, or he saw it as we did in the case of Roshar and Sel.

But yeah the guy totally had a plan.

Edited by Extesian
Weird formatting problem

1 hour ago, djammmer said:

The Shards is the only beings who fully understand Realmatic Theory, therefore I imagine that Odium would know for simply intuition a lot of thing about Investiture and its working.

• 4 weeks later...

so i'm a weirdo and keep notes on things like this, anyway, i was reading the stuff Brandon Sanderson writes before the chapters in the Way of Kings and i pieced them together. Turns out that part of these writings is a letter written (I'm pretty sure) by Hoid talking about a guy called Rayse and that he holds the most dangerous of the shards also saying that he visited Sel and splintered Aona and Skai. Theory: Odium's real name is Rayse. D&D = Aona & Skai.

13 minutes ago, TheCremling said:

so i'm a weirdo and keep notes on things like this, anyway, i was reading the stuff Brandon Sanderson writes before the chapters in the Way of Kings and i pieced them together. Turns out that part of these writings is a letter written (I'm pretty sure) by Hoid talking about a guy called Rayse and that he holds the most dangerous of the shards also saying that he visited Sel and splintered Aona and Skai. Theory: Odium's real name is Rayse. D&D = Aona & Skai.

Yes, your theory has already been confirmed. Have you checked out the Coppermind? It is a trove of information of confirmed things and a few speculated things (but most of the speculation goes on here in the Shard), and I'm pretty sure it can help you.

And other Shard names: 

Spoiler

Honor: Tanavast

Autonomy: Bavadin

Preservation: Leras

Ruin: Ati

• Chaos locked this topic