Some questions about Pewter Feruchemy and compounding.

Zantis

Question

Physical Feruchemy, particularly Pewter, should leave the Feruchemist with lasting damage because of the rapid changes to their body. But we know it doesn't because Feruchemy has natural protection/healing built into those particular powers. Pewter Feruchemy heals the body from the damage of rapid growth and atrophy of the muscles and also keeps the body going when tapping a lot of strength. My question is, does this protection also apply to compounding a Feruchemical attribute? Let's say a Pewter/Pewter twinborn stores 75% of their strength for a year, basically living as a cripple, or using Pewter allomancy to keep themselves going.  Then they burn that metalmind, getting as much strength as if they'd been storing at that rate for 10 years. Is there an upper limit on compounding certain attributes or does the muscle mass keep increasing? Does their bone structure also grow to match their muscle growth? Would their organs grow to support the immense increase in mass?  If they would continue growing until their vital organs could no longer keep up (much like Koloss), would Gold Feruchemy help in any way? What about Gold compounding?

8 answers to this question

It has been assumed (not directly confirmed iirc) that all of the compounding powers have limits that you can't cross. Steel Compounding is limited by air resistance for example.

I figured that double pewter couldn't go further than the Koloss go, for the same reason that they cannot keep going. Outside of organ capacity and bone structure, you have to consider the expansion of skin that the Koloss go through when they increase in size. Gold compounding would keep you alive, but I agree with Itchy, it might try to revert you to normal.

All that having been said, you wouldn't try to discover the limit unless you had to. You would store 90 and some odd percent of that compounded strength to use for later.

I'm not quite sure about the pewter letting them compound that much, however I imagine it would facilitate while burning, I'm thinking perhaps healing would be necessary after the fact.

Gold compounding would probably hamper the effect as it would try and revert your body back to what it was before compounding the pewter, perhaps even to a crippled state due to you associating yourself as a weak person for so long. 

That being said I'm not sure if this has been asked of brandon or discussed elsewhere, so I could be wrong

Edited by Itchy Savant

On 1/24/2017 at 2:37 PM, The One Who Connects said:

It has been assumed (not directly confirmed iirc) that all of the compounding powers have limits that you can't cross. Steel Compounding is limited by air resistance for example.

I figured that double pewter couldn't go further than the Koloss go, for the same reason that they cannot keep going. Outside of organ capacity and bone structure, you have to consider the expansion of skin that the Koloss go through when they increase in size. Gold compounding would keep you alive, but I agree with Itchy, it might try to revert you to normal.

All that having been said, you wouldn't try to discover the limit unless you had to. You would store 90 and some odd percent of that compounded strength to use for later.

Haven't read BoM in a while, but didn't 

Spoiler

Marasi use the Bands of Mourning

to move so fast she left a vaccum in space? I'd wager a guess that doing that goes past any barriers air resistance would create.

Then again, I'm not a scientist, so I'm probably wrong. 

Edit: spelling

Edited by Steelheart

1 minute ago, Steelheart said:

I'd wager a guess that doing that goes past any barriers air resistance would create.

Brandon has directly said that air resistance and burning up are limits to steel compounding. Source

Brandon Sanderson

Steelrunners and resist a lot things due to the power, like they can withstand the Gs they are out through, but they can't ignore wind resistance and friction. They will burn up if they start running too quickly.

31 minutes ago, Steelheart said:

Haven't read BoM in a while, but didn't 

Reveal hidden contents

Marasi use the Bands of Mourning

to move so fast she left a vaccum in space? I'd wager a guess that doing that goes past any barriers air resistance would create.

Then again, I'm not a scientist, so I'm probably wrong. 

Edit: spelling

She could've been tapping gold to counter the damage done to her body.

On 2/7/2017 at 10:06 PM, FiveLate said:

First, burning pewter does not increase muscle mass.  That is what happens from the feruchemy when taking it back.  It simply multiplies the amount of strength produced from the same muscles.  At some point...I believe it was Vin, stated that she could not go brute strength against a pewterarm who worked out a lot because of the muscle mass difference, but her increased speed and dexterity easily compensated for it.

Double Pewter(Compounding) is the Feruchemical Effect though, which does increase physical size. So the assumption that they would be limited to skin expansion like Koloss is a logical premise.

Second, I don't believe (I might be wrong) that it has been said that koloss spikes were made using mistings or mistborn.  Each koloss takes 4 spikes, and armies of hundreds of thousands were seen in the end. The Ruinic Inquisitors were making tons of them in the end.   Where would they find enough mistings and mistborn?  Math and logic say that they were not.  Personally I believe the attribute they were stealing had to be found in everyone....and with over 300 bind locations I see no reason they could not be stealing some hindbrain like function. That the koloss clearly do suffer from organ issues etc. shows that it is not allometric. 

As Landis963 said, they are made with a human attribute. Specifically human strength. Technical nitpick(me being petty :)), but as per Miles Marsh, there is between 200 and 300, not over 300.

Third, pewterarm can clearly be stronger than koloss.  Eland stops the sword of a massive koloss easily to enrage it.  He is using a smaller sword, Archamedes proved that he would have to be stronger to exert the same amount of force that the koloss was.

See Point 1. Limits of Compounding are limits of a purely Feruchemical nature. So I agree with this statement, but it is not particularly related to the current discussion. Edit 2: I recently reread the book, Elend specifically stated that he "wouldn't have had a chance to turn the blade aside, even with pewter helping him"

Edited by The One Who Connects
Marsh said it, Elend cant parry

On 07/02/2017 at 11:06 PM, FiveLate said:

Third, pewterarm can clearly be stronger than koloss.  Eland stops the sword of a massive koloss easily to enrage it.  He is using a smaller sword, Archamedes proved that he would have to be stronger to exert the same amount of force that the koloss was.

There are a number of factors which make this possible outside of pure strength against strength. You'll have to analyze the situation a bit more thoroughly before you can just use it an argument for a pewterarm being stronger. In any case, don't forget that Elend is a far stronger allomancer than anyone else at the time, so the strength he manifests says little about whether a general pewter burn could match a koloss strength.