is the street urchin more than she seems?

king of nowhere

in chapter 6, lift talks with a street urchin that in the ed ask her "are you listening?" and comments "people, they don't listen". Knowing the second ideal of the edgedancers, this seem oddly specific. So I wonder, was that girl a worldhopper (maybe even hoid disguised? he surely could have managed it, had he wanted) or some other important character? could a comment like that really be random?

That was a thing through the whole book. I would have to say it was the most obvious foreshadowing I have ever seen. And that is saying something. I wouldn't worry too much about it personally. Other characters mentioned listening as well, and I don't think that they will all end up being particularly or even of minor importance. Second, was this the urchin that Lift rescued from Nale? If so, maybe the infusion of Stormlight caused a Death Rattle-esqe thing to occur that was designed to push her to the next Ideal. That was just some random crap off the top of my head, though, so take that idea with a large pinch of salt.

So we know each order has specific surges. But sometimes it seems like they get something else too. Kaladin has his combat affinity. It's something he's always had, but it might be a slightly supernatural thing too. It certainly feels that way. 

So maybe Edgedancers(who's oaths are remarkably therapisty) have a kind of aura that affects how people talk to them. People certainly talk to Lift in a different manner than most. And it could be her attitude. There are ways to talk to people that get them to open up more. Body postures you take and ways you modulate your voice so they feel more at ease. But if there's something supernatural going on it could be that people who become edgedancers also have(like I said) an aura, but one that's a little more intuitive. Maybe introspective. But maybe also more connected to magic. 

Not like we've seen another edgedancer to get hints about it. 

• 6 months later...

The urchin girl scene is full of interesting things! 

First the fact that Lift instinctively understands her and "speaks" the girls Urchin dialect.   Even Wyndle points this out and Lift  says something about words is words.  Much like the Oaths it is the meaning behind them not the words themselves. This exchange with the urchin girl is the most obvious but throughout the Novella it is seams that Lift hears what others maybe do not. That as Part of listening she has the extra boost to hear what is said, or done or maybe not even really stated. (ie hear the meaning behind the words) 

This street urchin is the second urchin we have that  shows some understanding above what is expected.  The urchin from the Ym Interlude makes comments and shows understanding above what Ym thought he would.

We know also that spren bond to children like Shallon as a young child. Many of these children are broken, so may be more open to the spren and to the messages, visions or other means that information and investiture is leaking into Roshar.  

The other option is the girl was really an Aimian. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2017 at 10:44 AM, Aminar said:

So we know each order has specific surges. But sometimes it seems like they get something else too. Kaladin has his combat affinity. It's something he's always had, but it might be a slightly supernatural thing too. It certainly feels that way. 

So maybe Edgedancers(who's oaths are remarkably therapisty) have a kind of aura that affects how people talk to them. People certainly talk to Lift in a different manner than most. And it could be her attitude. There are ways to talk to people that get them to open up more. Body postures you take and ways you modulate your voice so they feel more at ease. But if there's something supernatural going on it could be that people who become edgedancers also have(like I said) an aura, but one that's a little more intuitive. Maybe introspective. But maybe also more connected to magic. 

Not like we've seen another edgedancer to get hints about it. 

Maybe all KR orders have some type of subtle psychological effect on those around him. We know they have interesting secondary abilities that come from the combinations of their primary surges and are not straight forward.

Shallan = Inspires trust

Kaladin = Inspires hope

Lyft = Insight maybe, especially like an oracle as opposed to technical insight

Dalinar = Don't know, maybe selflessness or self-sacrifice. Unlike the others, I haven't really seen him get "unearned" reactions out of others as much as the other characters mentioned.

15 hours ago, dionysus said:

Maybe all KR orders have some type of subtle psychological effect on those around him. We know they have interesting secondary abilities that come from the combinations of their primary surges and are not straight forward.

Shallan = Inspires trust

Kaladin = Inspires hope

Lyft = Insight maybe, especially like an oracle as opposed to technical insight

Dalinar = Don't know, maybe selflessness or self-sacrifice. Unlike the others, I haven't really seen him get "unearned" reactions out of others as much as the other characters mentioned.

I like this, and thinking about it I think there is more evidence, I don't have books handy, but in WoR after Shallon recruits the deserters Pattern mentions Shallon Transforms them. I was thinking that was more patterns language skills, in her motivating them, but now I am thinking there maybe more to it.

I know there is at least one mention of Skybreakers able to discern guilt or something like that.

15 hours ago, dionysus said:

The only other ideas I get are loyalty, or his ability to see the promise or possibilities of others. 

• 3 weeks later...

That would make sense...

I really need to start my SA reread. I'm planning on starting on the 1st of Nov, so I can go 'boom boom boom boom,' through the four of them. I'll need to read them a lot slower so I can pick up on the details... But I'll still read a lot.

For example of my speed reading, after I finished WoR, if you're on here, you'd better have read it ;), I had forgotten that Sadeas was dead. And when I remembered, I had forgotten that Adolin had killed him. So I reread that scene.

Edited by Tesh

• Chaos locked this topic