Oathbringer Update Six

Oversleep

5 hours ago, AerionBFII said:

Your disguise was perfect....... except for one thing:

I have a particular set of skills.

Skills I have acquired over a very long Shard career.

Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.

If you let it go now, that'll be the end of it.

Well, truth to be told, my disguise was less than perfect... I have been taken upon myself to help other readers to discover Adolin as the multi-layered character I have come to love. Nothing pleases me more than to hear other readers second-guessing their first impression of Adolin based on one or several posts I have made.

I read Adolin as a multi-dimensional character because I read several unexplored layers within him. He has courtships, but he unconsciously sabotages them out of fear. He is the mighty warrior, knight within a shinning armor, but he harbors killing and has a harder time dealing with deaths then you would first expect. He has the respect of his father, but not his open love and acceptance. He comes across as the "normal guy" and yet he has literally no friends nor valid support system but people he feels he ought to protect. He is considered the "perfect Alethi" and yet everyone looks down on his golden hair not to forget sprens didn't want him. They have chosen every single member of the Kholin household, but not Adolin: if I were to think of a more cruel rejection story, I'd have a hard time finding one. They just didn't want him. Nobody wants him: his peers reject him, women reject him (of course he shares a large part of the blame, but still), his father emotionally prefers his brother, his cousin and even Kaladin over him, sprens reject him... He also tries very hard to be someone he is not which makes him very unpredictable as we are discovering who this man is at the same time as Adolin is figuring it out. 

So to me, these are layers, very good and very interesting layers: they only need a bit of page time and an agency within the main narrative to blossom out into an amazing character I honestly believe many readers will come to love.

6 hours ago, maxal said:

Well, truth to be told, my disguise was less than perfect... I have been taken upon myself to help other readers to discover Adolin as the multi-layered character I have come to love. Nothing pleases me more than to hear other readers second-guessing their first impression of Adolin based on one or several posts I have made.

I read Adolin as a multi-dimensional character because I read several unexplored layers within him. He has courtships, but he unconsciously sabotages them out of fear. He is the mighty warrior, knight within a shinning armor, but he harbors killing and has a harder time dealing with deaths then you would first expect. He has the respect of his father, but not his open love and acceptance. He comes across as the "normal guy" and yet he has literally no friends nor valid support system but people he feels he ought to protect. He is considered the "perfect Alethi" and yet everyone looks down on his golden hair not to forget sprens didn't want him. They have chosen every single member of the Kholin household, but not Adolin: if I were to think of a more cruel rejection story, I'd have a hard time finding one. They just didn't want him. Nobody wants him: his peers reject him, women reject him (of course he shares a large part of the blame, but still), his father emotionally prefers his brother, his cousin and even Kaladin over him, sprens reject him... He also tries very hard to be someone he is not which makes him very unpredictable as we are discovering who this man is at the same time as Adolin is figuring it out. 

So to me, these are layers, very good and very interesting layers: they only need a bit of page time and an agency within the main narrative to blossom out into an amazing character I honestly believe many readers will come to love.

It was actually just a joke a quote from Taken for a bit of extra fun but im gonna respond anyway. I'd  agree with most of what you say and he definitely has character potential, when i first read WOK Adolin was a flat character but WOR did add a few extra layers. I don't dislike him but i never really enjoyed him that much, except when he murdered Sadeas and his really short Iron Stance duel haha. One thing i don't agree with is the Spren, i'd say they do want him but he isn't broken enough for the Nahel Bond, as bad as is sounds it needs to get worse for him in order for him to achieve what his family is doing. He's had a fairly easy life, favored son and heir of the most powerful man on Roshar, in line for the throne, he spends his time drinking at wine houses with his "friends", courting pretty girls and competing in duels. Everything that's happening to him has a purpose, he was wrong about his fathers visions, he sees his father was right about the codes, the betrayal by Sadeas, the epiphany about his "friends", the death of his horse and then his murder of Sadeas. These are the steps necessary to become a KR but i wouldn't call him broken yet hence no spren.

If your looking for a cruel rejection story you should look at Renarin. He's in the same boat as Adolin but has things far worse, hes not considered the "perfect Alethi" he's considered a disgrace for having a bloodsickness, everybody completely disregards him, he's consistently ignored and misunderstood if not outright mocked. He wants to help so much but physically can't, he's never even been trained to fight, Adolin came to the realization that his "friends" weren't actually his friends, Renarin has never had friends, courting girls is out of the question girls find him disturbing. Adolin is Dalinars heir he's been a little harder on Adolin because he's in line for the Throne and teaching him to lead but Adolin is his favorite son. Renarin's most impressive characteristic is his loyalty. Despite all his inabilities and personal insecurities he never lets it get in the way of supporting his brother.

Yeah, it's no surprise that Renarin is broken enough for a spren while Adolin doesn't seem to be yet, @AerionBFII, but I do think Adolin is easily on his way there with the character arc we've seen.  He's definitely not a flat character even though he could seem that way to a cursory reading, and he's been set up for a major fall, starting with cracking and killing Sadeas.  I don't buy the idea that the fallout from Sadeas' murder will be all that significant, but I do think there will be more things like that, and Adolin will find himself stepping up to fight injustices outside of the proper channels, listening to those others ignore.  Yes, I think he's on the path to become an Edgedancer, and to revive his sword (if he wasn't originally, then Brandon will probably adjust his character arc because of how much he's gained popularity and how that idea of reviving his sword has gained traction), and to make that happen, I think he'll have to reach the equivalent realization of the Third Ideal of the Edgedancers on his own, without the aid of the spren.

10 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Yeah, it's no surprise that Renarin is broken enough for a spren while Adolin doesn't seem to be yet, @AerionBFII, but I do think Adolin is easily on his way there with the character arc we've seen.  He's definitely not a flat character even though he could seem that way to a cursory reading, and he's been set up for a major fall, starting with cracking and killing Sadeas.  I don't buy the idea that the fallout from Sadeas' murder will be all that significant, but I do think there will be more things like that, and Adolin will find himself stepping up to fight injustices outside of the proper channels, listening to those others ignore.  Yes, I think he's on the path to become an Edgedancer, and to revive his sword (if he wasn't originally, then Brandon will probably adjust his character arc because of how much he's gained popularity and how that idea of reviving his sword has gained traction), and to make that happen, I think he'll have to reach the equivalent realization of the Third Ideal of the Edgedancers on his own, without the aid of the spren.

During WOK he was a flat character, i understand that not everybody feels or react the same to characters but for me personally in WOK he was. He's certainly gained more layers and overall significance in WOR and i didn't dispute that. He's definitely on his way to the KR. It's interesting you'd say Edgedancer, i always thought he'd fit in well with them, is there a WOB on this I've missed? I read the WOB about killing Sadeas and i agree the fallout isnt going to be that much of an issue, i meant more in an accumulative sense. At the start of the series Shallan, Dallinar and Kaladin were ready to be Radiants, they'd done the equivalent of dipping their toes in, Jasnah was already one. We will be experiencing the whole process through Adolin, the pressures building for him and it will get worse, he will eventually break and attract his own spren or 'awaken' the one he has.

34 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Now I really want to see Lift and Adolin fight side by side. Not just for the powers, which are, granted, super storming cool, but for the personality clash. Maybe they'll end up best friends.

Seriously, though, I quite prefer Edgedancer-hero-Adolin to Dustbringer-rogue-Adolin. Hopefully Oathbringer sheds some light on this.

Edited by bleeder

1 minute ago, bleeder said:

Now I really want to see Lift and Adolin fight side by side. Not just for the powers, which are, granted, super storming cool, but for the personality clash. Maybe they'll end up best friends.

I want a Jasnah and Lift scene.

Just because haha

17 minutes ago, AerionBFII said:

During WOK he was a flat character, i understand that not everybody feels or react the same to characters but for me personally in WOK he was. He's certainly gained more layers and overall significance in WOR and i didn't dispute that. He's definitely on his way to the KR. It's interesting you'd say Edgedancer, i always thought he'd fit in well with them, is there a WOB on this I've missed? I read the WOB about killing Sadeas and i agree the fallout isnt going to be that much of an issue, i meant more in an accumulative sense. At the start of the series Shallan, Dallinar and Kaladin were ready to be Radiants, they'd done the equivalent of dipping their toes in, Jasnah was already one. We will be experiencing the whole process through Adolin, the pressures building for him and it will get worse, he will eventually break and attract his own spren or 'awaken' the one he has.

The Edgedancer part isn't confirmed, no, but it's very likely that his sword is an Edgedancer spren from the description, leading many of us to believe that's where he'll go, along with a few things he's done like protecting the prostitute in the camps.

2 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

The Edgedancer part isn't confirmed, no, but it's very likely that his sword is an Edgedancer spren from the description, leading many of us to believe that's where he'll go, along with a few things he's done like protecting the prostitute in the camps.

The sword being an Edgedancer blade is confirmed.

22 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Thank you! +1

26 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

I thought protecting people was what all Radiant's did? He seems to prefer the elegance of Dueling to actual battles or Greatshell hunts and the Edgedancers have frequently been described as elegant and deadly, i just thought it suited him. Besides it would amuse me endlessly if Lift and Adolin would be in the same grouping.

Just now, AerionBFII said:

I thought protecting people was what all Radiant's did? He seems to prefer the elegance of Dueling to actual battles or Greatshell hunts and the Edgedancers have frequently been described as elegant and deadly, i just thought it suited him. Besides it would amuse me endlessly if Lift and Adolin would be in the same grouping.

Most of the orders are about protecting people (all of them in a general sense, but not necessarily on an individual level I suspect).  The Edgedancer Oaths so far have been about listening to those that are ignored, though, and that's what people see in that scene beyond just simple protecting people.

28 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Good to know, I didn't remember that.

15 hours ago, AerionBFII said:

It was actually just a joke a quote from Taken for a bit of extra fun but im gonna respond anyway. I'd  agree with most of what you say and he definitely has character potential, when i first read WOK Adolin was a flat character but WOR did add a few extra layers. I don't dislike him but i never really enjoyed him that much, except when he murdered Sadeas and his really short Iron Stance duel haha. One thing i don't agree with is the Spren, i'd say they do want him but he isn't broken enough for the Nahel Bond, as bad as is sounds it needs to get worse for him in order for him to achieve what his family is doing. He's had a fairly easy life, favored son and heir of the most powerful man on Roshar, in line for the throne, he spends his time drinking at wine houses with his "friends", courting pretty girls and competing in duels. Everything that's happening to him has a purpose, he was wrong about his fathers visions, he sees his father was right about the codes, the betrayal by Sadeas, the epiphany about his "friends", the death of his horse and then his murder of Sadeas. These are the steps necessary to become a KR but i wouldn't call him broken yet hence no spren.

If your looking for a cruel rejection story you should look at Renarin. He's in the same boat as Adolin but has things far worse, hes not considered the "perfect Alethi" he's considered a disgrace for having a bloodsickness, everybody completely disregards him, he's consistently ignored and misunderstood if not outright mocked. He wants to help so much but physically can't, he's never even been trained to fight, Adolin came to the realization that his "friends" weren't actually his friends, Renarin has never had friends, courting girls is out of the question girls find him disturbing. Adolin is Dalinars heir he's been a little harder on Adolin because he's in line for the Throne and teaching him to lead but Adolin is his favorite son. Renarin's most impressive characteristic is his loyalty. Despite all his inabilities and personal insecurities he never lets it get in the way of supporting his brother.

Oh I got the joke, but I lacked the required wit to reply cleverly, hence I move onto more serious matters ;)

When it comes to character reading, we often end up being prey to our own readers' expectations. In other words, as soon as we link a given character to a predetermined archetype, we tend to blind ourselves to evidences truth might be entirely different. This is true for most readers, including myself.

For instances, you claim on several occasions that Adolin is Dalinar's favorite son. I would however press you to find book and/or WoB evidence it is indeed the case. I would argue textual evidence points towards Renarin and/or Elhokar being Dalinar's favorite, not Adolin. Adolin, we expect him to be the favored son because he is the one best embodying the male Alethi ideals: just as Denethor favored Boromir, we expect Dalinar to favor Adolin, except the doesn't. There is no book or WoB evidence stating Dalinar indeed prefers Adolin over Renarin, but there is evidence he might prefer both Renarin and Elhokar over him. Please note I have said might as this certainly isn't confirmed, just hinted.

In WoK, Dalinar's interactions with Renarin are filled with intense love, he stipulates how close he feels to his younger son because he easily relates to him being the second fiddle to a "more glorious" older brother. He even wonders why is it Renarin doesn't hate Adolin (Dalinar seems to have mentally associated Adolin both to his older brother whom he alternatively loves/hates and to his former self as the Blackthorn which he detests). Dalinar is also overly lenient with Renarin, never forcing him into anything even if it would have been best if he had. He is also willing to breach his precious Code to satisfy his youngest son's aspirations, but he isn't wiling to allow Adolin the same leeway, nor does it expresses the same care/love whenever he thinks about his eldest son. Oh they do have a few moments, there is this one scene where Dalinar thinks about Adolin and this other one, at the end of WoR when Adolin gets hurt. He does love him, but his thought process certainly indicates he perhaps ranks Renarin and/or Elhokar over Adolin. 

Even if he doesn't, there still aren't sufficient evidence to claim Dalinar favors Adolin besides readers expectations wanting he should.

The same goes for Renarin, because he is autistic and epileptic, readers expect him to be rejected or, at the very least, to resent his potential lack of peer to peer interaction. I will again ask where is it stated, either in the books and/or in WoB, that Renarin feels rejected. He feels useless, he feels left out, but his predicament doesn't seem to be linked towards how others view him. We have seen no one, in book, being mean or dismissive towards Renarin (except Sadeas, but huh thats not a valid example), but we have seen Acrobacar stating being found of Renarin. We have also seen Bridge 4 adopt him despite his upper birth. So all in all, we have seen Renarin succeed much better than Adolin in his peer to peer's relationships. Sure, he isn't a social butterfly like his brother, he looks more solitary, but solitary doesn't mean rejected. Renarin's major issue isn't social rejection, it isn't lack of love, it isn't even his disability, it is self-loathing: the world has accepted him, his family has accepted him, but he hasn't. He hates himself for what he cannot be. I thus read him as a very different character than other readers.

Then again, it might be Renarin's character arc is about rejection, but there aren't enough evidence, within the books to conclude it is indeed the case. There are, however, enough evidences Adolin is being openly rejected by his peers, worst, they teamed up to beat him to death. I thus say, unless Renarin has been cornered by foes to be killed for his disability in some distant flashback sequence, Adolin's ordeal it does trump any form of rejection Renarin might have felt. Adolin had his best friend want to kill him, his best friend. Not just a guy he had known for a few weeks as Moash was to Kaladin, but a man Adolin has known for years, someone he called his "best friend". 

Readers expectations, when it comes to Adolin want him to be a shallow flat one dimensional jerk, but it doesn't hold the road with textual evidence.

7 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Brandon isn't known to do fan service... with a few exceptions such as the inclusion of the shardfork, which arguably was a rather minor plot point, just a small indulgence. He thus isn't going to give Adolin any story arc based on what he feels his readers want, he will give a story arc to Adolin only and only if he feels the story is stronger with it in it. Adolin reviving his Shardblade might fit the bill as it would also serve to give insight on how the dead-spren bond have been altered: just by itself this is interesting. Hence, there is a strong chance he might go down this way not because readers want more Adolin, but because it would yield a better story. I think.

I also feel Brandon has foreshadowed the Blade revival story arc which means he perhaps planned for it to happen even prior to the strong positive reaction towards Adolin's character following the release of WoR.

I have been debating with myself on how many oaths Adolin would need to figure out before he can attempt at reviving his Blade (let's not forget "something else" also needs to happen). I would however state third Oath does sound like the absolute minimum as it sounds highly improbable he'd need to hit at the very least the "Blade materialization stage". 

6 hours ago, AerionBFII said:

Thank you! +1

This commentary illustrates to the perfection my above comments on how readers expectations influence how we read a given character. It is expected the "Adolin's character archetype" would reveal into hunting and warfare, except.... Except it is stipulated on more than one occasion how Adolin hates hunting. Worst, he arbors it, he despises it, calling it a dishonorable butchery. He has no love for it and no interest to bring down Greatshells: he only goes to the hunt because Dalinar is forcing him to. He also mentions how tired he is his family aren't taking his dislike of hunting any more seriously as both Dalinar and Renarin try to convince him it will be great. 

Adolin explains how he loves one on one fights which pitch man against man, mind against mind, body against body: to him dueling is not warfare, it is an art. Dalinar even states how Adolin doesn't like the warfare, so no he doesn't seem to have an interest into battles, soldering and hunting. 

Hence, it is very easy to allow what we expect of a given character dictates how we process the information at hand. This being said, I might be wrong, I might be dead wrong, but I do feel book evidence points towards another character then initially thought of.

6 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Most of the orders are about protecting people (all of them in a general sense, but not necessarily on an individual level I suspect).  The Edgedancer Oaths so far have been about listening to those that are ignored, though, and that's what people see in that scene beyond just simple protecting people.

Good to know, I didn't remember that.

Protecting is swell and everything, but if you don't know what people want, you can't truly help them. If Adolin goes down this path, then he might be the one who sit still and listen... to what others might have to say... Maybe the rogue Parshedins, maybe his own people, but Adolin has been known to be a good listener, so far.

@maxal Goddammit Maxal i seriously hate having to respond to your mega posts hahaha although i will tip my imaginary hat to you, as always you are meticulous and awe inspiring how you pull these posts from nowhere.

I think we both agree that we fall victim to defending and seeing the best in our own favorite characters and we each just have to agree to disagree on that point. Dalinar and Adolin's relationship is a very difficult one as Adolin is not just Dalinars son, he is his heir, his legacy and bears that responsibility. He is harder on Adolin because of this, he is grooming him to be Highprince so therefore holds him to a slightly higher standard. You are right of course he does project a lot onto Adolin, he sees himself and some of his brother but he also sees Adolin as being better than himself. This mostly goes unspoken and he relies on him heavily more so than anybody else. As in Elhokars case he tries to "guide" him. Renarin, Dalinar struggles with as they have very little in common. Renarin is unable to strive for martial prowess like his peers, it's been noted that he makes others uncomfortable and refuses to be closeted away in the Ardentia, so whats left for him? Dalinar is just taking a different approach toward him because he lacks the heirs priorities or responsibilities. He was reluctant to let him join Bridge 4 only Kal persuading him kept him there in anycase but it was good to see. I don't even remember Renarin talking to anybody outside his immediate family until Bridge 4 where they slowly, sometimes grudgingly come to accept him. IIRC Dalinar also had Adolin serve in a Darkeye company for a month or two.

I'd strongly disagree about Moash though. Kal mentioned once in his POV that he felt closer to him than anybody else in Bridge 4. Their constant awe grated on him and made him uncomfortable and since Moash showed not nearly as much he felt closer to him. Bridge 4 wasn't just a few guys grouped together for a few weeks. It was a Brotherhood. Moash betrayed the whole ideal of Bridge 4. Jerkoff (as i like to think of him) was a snake and wasn't worthy to be the bestfriend of Tvlakv's Chulls. Besides Adolin has a new bestfriend now..

Spoiler

A certain surly Bridgeman. Whom i believe you've stated your love for on several occasions :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

1 hour ago, AerionBFII said:

@maxal Goddammit Maxal i seriously hate having to respond to your mega posts hahaha although i will tip my imaginary hat to you, as always you are meticulous and awe inspiring how you pull these posts from nowhere.

I think we both agree that we fall victim to defending and seeing the best in our own favorite characters and we each just have to agree to disagree on that point. Dalinar and Adolin's relationship is a very difficult one as Adolin is not just Dalinars son, he is his heir, his legacy and bears that responsibility. He is harder on Adolin because of this, he is grooming him to be Highprince so therefore holds him to a slightly higher standard. You are right of course he does project a lot onto Adolin, he sees himself and some of his brother but he also sees Adolin as being better than himself. This mostly goes unspoken and he relies on him heavily more so than anybody else. As in Elhokars case he tries to "guide" him. Renarin, Dalinar struggles with as they have very little in common. Renarin is unable to strive for martial prowess like his peers, it's been noted that he makes others uncomfortable and refuses to be closeted away in the Ardentia, so whats left for him? Dalinar is just taking a different approach toward him because he lacks the heirs priorities or responsibilities. He was reluctant to let him join Bridge 4 only Kal persuading him kept him there in anycase but it was good to see. I don't even remember Renarin talking to anybody outside his immediate family until Bridge 4 where they slowly, sometimes grudgingly come to accept him. IIRC Dalinar also had Adolin serve in a Darkeye company for a month or two.

I'd strongly disagree about Moash though. Kal mentioned once in his POV that he felt closer to him than anybody else in Bridge 4. Their constant awe grated on him and made him uncomfortable and since Moash showed not nearly as much he felt closer to him. Bridge 4 wasn't just a few guys grouped together for a few weeks. It was a Brotherhood. Moash betrayed the whole ideal of Bridge 4. Jerkoff (as i like to think of him) was a snake and wasn't worthy to be the bestfriend of Tvlakv's Chulls. Besides Adolin has a new bestfriend now..

Reveal hidden contents

A certain surly Bridgeman. Whom i believe you've stated your love for on several occasions :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

:lol::lol::lol: I can get scary when I go into meta posts mode. I absolutely agree to disagree with you. As I said, I cannot claim my views are the absolute truth: I can only speak of things as I see them based on my personal reading. I personally feel there are many things going on, in the backstage of the Dalinar/Adolin relationship and while everything you say is right, I cannot shake the feeling he isn't putting a high enough value onto Adolin's life. I cannot overcome my perception wanting Dalinar to truly have a more favorable bias towards both Renarin and/or Elhokar, just the way he speaks of them, just the way he interacts with them. I do read these elements within the story, but as they aren't completely explicit nor truly explored, yet, it might also be I am deadly wrong.

This being said, Brandon did say Renarin had more attention growing up than Adolin did and Adolin did resent it, as a child. There is an element within Adolin's character which wants him to be loved, to please, to be exactly what others expect him to be. There is a side of him which seems to think what he truly is isn't good enough, hence he has to make amends and morph into what others wish him to be, the most notable "other" being Dalinar.

Obviously, none of this has truly been explored, yet. I see it as one path to steer the character onto, one way, but Brandon might have other ideas.

As for Kaladin, yes he does mention feeling closer to Moash than anyone else, but he has known the man for nothing more than a few weeks. A new friendship isn't the same as an established one where confidence has had time to cement itself. Also, Moash's betrayal has been overly foreshadowed, even Kaladin would agree to this while Jakamav came out totally unexpected.

And well, I am extraordinarily enthralled over Adolin and Kaladin becoming best friends: I love to read these two together. I think their characters complement each other brilliantly and their interactions are always fun to read. This being said, they aren't really friends... yet. So yeah it doesn't count... yet. 

• Chaos locked this topic