Oathbringer Update Six

Oversleep

I got a question answered! I asked with little hope of actually getting an answer because I didn't see the update until some time after it was posted. And I then promptly forgot about Reddit and didn't go back to see if I got an answer until days later. Here it is (tagged for spoilers because it touches on Edgedancer and Mistborn Era 2):

Spoiler

DSC01:

I'm probably too late to this party to get a question in, but just in case... The Resonances for Edgedancers and Bloodmaker/Slider pairings--are they basically the same thing? It's maybe mostly linguistic for Edgedancers and more like Invested method acting for the Wayne types, but if I'm reading things correctly, it seems that they're very closely related.

After all, Progression and Bloodmaking are quite similar. Abrasion and speed bubbles have a more tenuous link, but they do call bendalloy boys "Sliders," after all (no disrespect to bendalloy girls, but I couldn't pass up the alliteration).

mistborn:

The connections are more because the magics are all inter-related, and based on fundamental rules, and less because I was trying for any specific connection.

So, I kind of sneaked several questions into one because neither of those Resonances have been confirmed, that I'm aware of. It's not an outright confirmation, but the answer certainly implies that my assumptions are correct (Brandon will often say something when someone's question has assumptions built in that are not necessarily true). Another interesting thing about the answer is that the similarities are not intentional, but the consistency of the way the magic systems work is such that they just worked out that way without any conscious thought going into it.

19 minutes ago, DSC01 said:

I got a question answered! I asked with little hope of actually getting an answer because I didn't see the update until some time after it was posted. And I then promptly forgot about Reddit and didn't go back to see if I got an answer until days later. Here it is (tagged for spoilers because it touches on Edgedancer and Mistborn Era 2):

Hide contents

DSC01:

I'm probably too late to this party to get a question in, but just in case... The Resonances for Edgedancers and Bloodmaker/Slider pairings--are they basically the same thing? It's maybe mostly linguistic for Edgedancers and more like Invested method acting for the Wayne types, but if I'm reading things correctly, it seems that they're very closely related.

After all, Progression and Bloodmaking are quite similar. Abrasion and speed bubbles have a more tenuous link, but they do call bendalloy boys "Sliders," after all (no disrespect to bendalloy girls, but I couldn't pass up the alliteration).

mistborn:

The connections are more because the magics are all inter-related, and based on fundamental rules, and less because I was trying for any specific connection.

So, I kind of sneaked several questions into one because neither of those Resonances have been confirmed, that I'm aware of. It's not an outright confirmation, but the answer certainly implies that my assumptions are correct (Brandon will often say something when someone's question has assumptions built in that are not necessarily true). Another interesting thing about the answer is that the similarities are not intentional, but the consistency of the way the magic systems work is such that they just worked out that way without any conscious thought going into it.

Actually Brandon has previously said that Wayne's acting ability has nothing to do with his Resonance. I will try to find the WoB when I can.

20 minutes ago, DSC01 said:

Hide contents

DSC01:

mistborn:

That would imply he's changed his mind about Wayne, since last he said he hadn't written it as of October 2015. (Remember, even though SoS and BoM hadn't been published yet, they had both been completed and turned in to the publishers.) It seems more like a generic answer that he gives out when someone looks for similarities between, say, atium and Aviar, that the magics all work on the same principles, so while he might not be specific call-outs, there will be similarities.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2017 at 6:28 AM, maxal said:

I think it is highly likely the new Windrunner will be taken out of Bridge 4. My thoughts are perhaps he is Moash, who is getting many viewpoints, but I have also pinned him as a Dustbringer, so we will see. Other candidates would definitely be Skar, though I had him pinned to be Drehy's love interest. Teft and/or Rock could be it too. We know Rock is getting one viewpoint, much like Teft got his in WoR.

I'm not sure Moash has the right disposition to become a Windrunner. However, if he does bond with a spren and take oaths for one of the orders, that 'dead' shard blade of his is likely to give him trouble. I'm not sure any spren would be attracted to someone who has such a shard blade. Syl certainly seems to find them to be "wrong".

10 hours ago, geoffw35 said:

I'm not sure Moash has the right disposition to become a Windrunner. However, if he does bond with a spren and take oaths for one of the orders, that 'dead' shard blade of his is likely to give him trouble. I'm not sure any spren would be attracted to someone who has such a shard blade. Syl certainly seems to find them to be "wrong".

I tend to agree with you about Moash not seeming particularly suitable to bond a Honorspren, but since Brandon has decided to focus on him, I am left wandering in which ways he'll end up being relevant. Thus, I thought he might be this second Windrunner as Moash isn't a main protagonist nor will he become one, so the second fiddle in an already introduced order seemed fitting.

On 1/21/2017 at 7:30 AM, maxal said:

No. He said something very precise on Reddit. He did say we would see another Windrunner take up his oaths in book 3.

I was unable to find this. Has anyone else run it down? As for who it might be, I'll cast my vote on Lopen.

22 minutes ago, jofwu said:

@Pagerunner, have you seen this while flipping back through Reddit?

No, I haven't seen anything on Reddit about that so far. Probably because the quote you're thinking of is from OdysseyCon. Although, that quote doesn't say Book 3, it just says a future Stormlight book. So there might be something else out there. I'll keep my ear to the ground.

On 2/7/2017 at 11:02 PM, Pagerunner said:

No, I haven't seen anything on Reddit about that so far. Probably because the quote you're thinking of is from OdysseyCon. Although, that quote doesn't say Book 3, it just says a future Stormlight book. So there might be something else out there. I'll keep my ear to the ground.

No it's not. If you go back a page you'll notice that I specifically asked @maxal whether she was referring to that WoB, and she responded in the negative. There is apparently another WoB on Reddit where he said that it will be in Book 3 specifically.

16 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

No it's not. If you go back a page you'll notice that I specifically asked @maxal whether she was referring to that WoB, and she responded in the negative. There is apparently another WoB on Reddit where he said that it will be in Book 3 specifically.

Hmm. I've just taken a look and it's not leaping out. As far as I can tell, there's only one use of "Windrunner" in the Reddit history for /u/Mistborn. 

"RAFO regarding windrunner squires."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/4r6ds5/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update_3/d58hj0i/

I've tried a few other variants (Knight, surgebinder, surge, oath) and they either threw up too many results to be useful (So many Oathbringer references. So many), or too few (Surge appears once)

Unless the comment has been deleted, or was a bit more vague (Answering a question of whether you'll see another Windrunner with "Yes, in the next book", for example), I'm not sure it's there. 

1 minute ago, Tarion said:

Hmm. I've just taken a look and it's not leaping out. As far as I can tell, there's only one use of "Windrunner" in the Reddit history for /u/Mistborn. 

"RAFO regarding windrunner squires."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/4r6ds5/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update_3/d58hj0i/

I've tried a few other variants (Knight, surgebinder, surge, oath) and they either threw up too many results to be useful (So many Oathbringer references. So many), or too few (Surge appears once)

Unless the comment has been deleted, or was a bit more vague (Answering a question of whether you'll see another Windrunner with "Yes, in the next book", for example), I'm not sure it's there. 

I haven't been able to find it either, but then I'm very bad at searching Reddit :(. So really I'm just trusting what @maxal said here.

23 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

I've been going all Lightsong on this idea, trying to figure out where it came from. There's actually a fairly narrow timespan where it could have come from; OdysseyCon was at the end of April in 2016, and the first mention I've seen on the forums of the new Windrunner being in Book 3 was in May 2016. I have checked all of Brandon's reddit comments around then, there were no signings in that time period, but I have yet to go through the Twitter archives. (Someone else can feel free to close the book on that, since I'm about to wash my hands of the matter.)

Digging through the forums, here's the first place I found that mentioned the new Windrunner being in Book 3. Maxal has taken the idea and ran with it in a couple of places since then, theorizing that this new Windrunner might be a Stormlight 3 POV character, especially if it were Moash. That idea has filtered out to other posts since then, and even though people may disagree that Moash will be a Windrunner or that the Windrunner will have a POV sequence, the underlying idea that the Windrunner will be in Book 3 has not been challenged.

So, I'm going to call this a case of tribal knowledge that stemmed from a misinterpretation of an actual WoB. Not saying that there won't be a Windrunner saying the Oaths in Book 3 (and I personally think it's likely, since I suspect that pre-existing groups like Bridge Four will wholesale become a Radiant Order), but I am confident saying we do not have a WoB to the effect.

Um... I remember something. That we'll see another Windrunner swear Oaths in the Book 3. Fairly recently (or maybe I have seen it fairly recenlty as I have been digging through Brandon's reddit acount). I'm 100% sure it was on reddit, although I think that somebody asked a question and Brandon only confirmed so keyword searches will prove futile.

Edited by Oversleep

11 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Um... I remember something. That we'll see another Windrunner swear Oaths in the Book 3. Fairly recently (or maybe I have seen it fairly recenlty as I have been digging through Brandon's reddit acount). I'm 100% sure it was on reddit, although I think that somebody asked a question and Brandon only confirmed so keyword searches will prove futile.

Oh God. That's a nightmare. To track that down you'd have to read every post, with context.

4 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Um... I remember something. That we'll see another Windrunner swear Oaths in the Book 3. Fairly recently. I'm 100% sure it was on reddit, although I think that somebody asked a question and Brandon only confirmed so keyword searches will prove futile.

Not if you've inputted both the questions and the answers to a local database of your own devising. (Everyone does that, right?) Only two questions on Reddit from the last year that I've saved mentioned Windrunners, and neither of them are about the new Windrunner. ([1] [2]) A search of the twitter archives doesn't have anything about a Windrunner since Feb 2016. There is a possibility that I missed a question when populating my database, but I don't find that likely. (Although I am admittedly biased.) And, obviously, the only pertinent result in Theoryland is the one I linked above.

There is a possibility that it's a Word of @PeterAhlstrom. I'm going to try summoning him, just in case he remembers commenting on the subject.

I've got a browser plugin (moderator toolbox) which allows you to search people's comment history on Reddit. Searched as many terms as I could think of for both Brandon and Peter, and I can't find anything there about a Windrunner swearing oaths in Oathbringer.

1 hour ago, Pagerunner said:

Not if you've inputted both the questions and the answers to a local database of your own devising. (Everyone does that, right?) Only two questions on Reddit from the last year that I've saved mentioned Windrunners, and neither of them are about the new Windrunner. ([1] [2]) A search of the twitter archives doesn't have anything about a Windrunner since Feb 2016. There is a possibility that I missed a question when populating my database, but I don't find that likely. (Although I am admittedly biased.) And, obviously, the only pertinent result in Theoryland is the one I linked above.

But they don't have to be specifically about Windrunners; it could be a question like "could Kaladin phrase his Oaths in another way", it could be about non-specified Order and we just combined it with the fact that there would be another Windrunner swearing Oaths.

It could have been misspelled by the person who asked. Et cetera, et cetera.

1 hour ago, jofwu said:

I've got a browser plugin (moderator toolbox) which allows you to search people's comment history on Reddit. Searched as many terms as I could think of for both Brandon and Peter, and I can't find anything there about a Windrunner swearing oaths in Oathbringer.

That won't work if none of them mentioned keywords and just gave a simple answer with common words.

Edited by Oversleep

4 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

That won't work if none of them mentioned keywords and just gave a simple answer with common words.

That's true.

Worth mentioning that we've also been collection WoB's in /r/cosmere since the AU tour. As far as I can tell, we've been pretty thorough, and this is definitely the sort of thing that would make those lists. So if he DID say this, I strongly suspect it would have to be from before late November.

5 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

But they don't have to be specifically about Windrunners; it could be a question like "could Kaladin phrase his Oaths in another way", it could be about non-specified Order and we just combined it with the fact that there would be another Windrunner swearing Oaths.

It could have been misspelled by the person who asked. Et cetera, et cetera.

Here's how I catalogue WoBs. I copy-paste each WoB in to my database by hand. I correct misspellings, for the very reason you identified. I read each WoB to assign tags based on what kind of searches I would want to return that quote. I've searched everything I tagged with "Stormlight 3," "Windrunners," and "Radiants." But, I don't trust my tagging system very much yet and will probably have to do a second pass, so I've also searched the text of the WoBs for "Wind" and "Oath." Nothing has come up, but if you can think of any other potential keywords, I'll run a search for them, too. But I can't imagine we'll have a quote about a Windrunner saying Oaths that doesn't include either "Windrunner" or "Oath." (But I acknowledge that might be a limit on my imagination, so I am sincere in asking for any other keywords you'd like to search for.)

I have recently reviewed everything on Reddit posted by Brandon since March of 2016 (Reddit only lets me look through the last 1000 comments). I am confident in saying there was nothing in the last year that has to do with this topic. Brandon's Twitter archive is easy to search. Theoryland is easy to search. I'm thinking, if there's anything official that we can't find, it's coming from Peter, either on Reddit or Twitter. (Jofwu's search would miss the question, and I'm not collecting Peter's comments.)

But I have actually done a lot of legwork, since I've seen this come up a couple of times. This isn't a quick search, can't find it, give up. I'm pretty sure this is misinformation, and I've laid out an idea in my previous post about how I think it came about organically.

Yes, I have theories about theories. I need to get out more...

3 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Here's how I catalogue WoBs. I copy-paste each WoB in to my database by hand. I correct misspellings, for the very reason you identified. I read each WoB to assign tags based on what kind of searches I would want to return that quote. I've searched everything I tagged with "Stormlight 3," "Windrunners," and "Radiants." But, I don't trust my tagging system very much yet and will probably have to do a second pass, so I've also searched the text of the WoBs for "Wind" and "Oath." Nothing has come up, but if you can think of any other potential keywords, I'll run a search for them, too. But I can't imagine we'll have a quote about a Windrunner saying Oaths that doesn't include either "Windrunner" or "Oath." (But I acknowledge that might be a limit on my imagination, so I am sincere in asking for any other keywords you'd like to search for.)

Have you tried "Ideal" or even "Words" in place of Oath?

5 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

I have recently reviewed everything on Reddit posted by Brandon since March of 2016 (Reddit only lets me look through the last 1000 comments). I am confident in saying there was nothing in the last year that has to do with this topic. Brandon's Twitter archive is easy to search. Theoryland is easy to search. I'm thinking, if there's anything official that we can't find, it's coming from Peter, either on Reddit or Twitter. (Jofwu's search would miss the question, and I'm not collecting Peter's comments.)

But I have actually done a lot of legwork, since I've seen this come up a couple of times. This isn't a quick search, can't find it, give up. I'm pretty sure this is misinformation, and I've laid out an idea in my previous post about how I think it came about organically.

And there was I thinking it was strange that I'd missed it given how thorough I thought I'd been in going through all of his WoBs on Reddit as he posted them, but you seem to have put far more work into this. Nevertheless, now that two separate people have reported seeing this, I'm leaning towards us having missed it somehow :unsure:. I guess we'll only really know if we were right if Oathbringer comes out and it's not in there :(.

5 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

Have you tried "Ideal" or even "Words" in place of Oath?

I tried "ideal" and "word" and didn't get anything. Brandon gets LOTS of "kind words" from people btw. :) This search functionality appears to only go back 7 months, so it's possible the source is just older than that. (not sure how far back Pagerunner has gone) Also possible that he said it somewhere else besides Reddit.

40 minutes ago, jofwu said:

I tried "ideal" and "word" and didn't get anything. Brandon gets LOTS of "kind words" from people btw. :) This search functionality appears to only go back 7 months, so it's possible the source is just older than that. (not sure how far back Pagerunner has gone) Also possible that he said it somewhere else besides Reddit.

It's probably the last 1000 comments. I probably go back a little farther than you can right now, but not by much - it's just whichever ones got bumped off because of the new AMA. (His Oathbringer updates take up the vast majority of the 1000 most recent comments.) Like I said earlier, Reddit's the only platform that's hard to search, and it's become a bit of a go-to excuse for the community. "Oh, I can't find it in Theoryland, it must have been on Reddit." So, if it's anywhere else, we would have found it by now.