Oathbringer Update Six

Oversleep

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/5p4ydj/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update_6/

I'll leave it to you to analyze every word about Oathbringer; I myself will keep to obsessing over possibility of Brandon coming to Poland in March :)

Edited by Oversleep

Just now, Pagerunner said:

Any chance someone can copy the text, for those of us whose places of employment block Reddit? (But, thankfully, not the 17th Shard!)

Hey, all! Back again to talk about the progress of your book. I promised you updates through the year, and I'll do my best to pop in here now and then and let you know how things are going.

Oathbringer, if you somehow missed the update last month, is done. But it's not DONE done. I turned in the rough draft, but immediately jumped into the third draft. (Because I did the second draft at the same time as the first--basically, after finishing each section of the book, I jumped back and revised it before sending to my editor. The goal being to get him a second draft to begin editing so he could work at the same time I did.)

I've finished Part One and Part Two of the third draft as of today. This included adding in two interludes, which I hadn't finished in the rough draft. Later today, Part Two should be going to the beta readers.

(To answer the inevitable question, the beta readers are chosen by Peter--my assistant and editorial director--from among those who have been very active on the fan websites, or who know us personally.)

I'll jump into the Part Three revision soon, then will do Parts Four and Five together. That will get us through the 3.0 draft.

4.0 and 5.0 drafts will be done together, hopefully in March/April. 4.0 will input beta reader comments and writing group comments, and 5.0 will be the polish where I try to trim words and perfect the language.

We're still in the early stages of the art, as Isaac was busy last fall with the Mistborn Leatherbound and doing maps for Tad William's new series. So we'll need to work hard getting artwork done. Plan is to have a new set of colored endpages for the hardcover of the US edition, as we've done in the past, though I can't announce what those are yet.

Book is looking great so far. Part One needed a heavy revision at the intro, but nothing more than that. Part Two (the slowest of the parts) remains a bit of a questionable area. The only way to speed it up is to cut some fun, but ultimately flabby, chapters. I think they are chapters people will love, as they have some unusual viewpoint characters, but the have a bit of an interlude feel to them. If Tor puts its foot down on length limits for the book, I'll have to cut these out.

Part Three has some larger revisions I've been planning with Peter these last few weeks, so the 3.0 draft on that might take a little longer than the other two did.

Anyway, it's exciting to see the book coming along! November release date is looking very good, and I doubt we'll miss it. Also, my Spanish publisher contacted us with the hopes of trying to do a translation and get their edition out at the same time as the US/UK editions, which would be a first for any of my books in translation. So a big thumbs up for them.

Thank you again for your patience. Hope to see some of you in Boston next month, where I'm guest of honor at a convention. Otherwise, I should be mostly nose-to-the-grindstone, as my travel schedule is very light until I head off to Germany (and maybe Poland and Bulgaria) in March.

Here you go.

2 hours ago, Oversleep said:

I'll leave it to you to analyze every word about Oathbringer; I myself will keep to obsessing over possibility of Brandon coming to Poland in March :)

As far as I know, his Bulgaria trip (which he mentions in the same breath) is confirmed - the publisher that invited him announced it as a done deal a few weeks back. It's plausible that Poland is in the same boat.

I read the whole Reddit thread. I will admit, I am a bit worried about Part 2. Even Brandon doesn't seem to be too sure about it: he says it is slow paced and it includes several occasional viewpoints which might be "funny", but do break the pace. He also did say Part 2 reads a bit like an interlude and not being a huge fan of the interludes (I like them, but I tend to treat them as the healthy whole wheat bread I have to eat before I can dig into the real good stuff), it worries me. Brandon has stated often enough he didn't want to have his story spin out of control by including too many viewpoints: is he breaking his own rule here? Obviously it is only one part, but the inclusion of several minor viewpoint characters is cause for me to worry, slightly. 

Edgedancer spoilers.

Spoiler

I hope the part two character is Axies. The fact that he is namedropped in Edgedancer makes it more likely that he will have a part to play.

The Part 2 POV might also be one of the following:

-Stick who talks about being a stick.

-Yalb surviving and going Rambo on the Voidbringers.

Seriously though, anyone having any theories about who this fun Interlude feel POV is? My only serious one is in the spoiler tag.

41 minutes ago, Chull #445 said:

Seriously though, anyone having any theories about who this fun Interlude feel POV is? My only serious one is in the spoiler tag.

A Herald being totally badchull and 5 chapters worth of them going one-man army on Voidbrigners?

2 hours ago, Chull #445 said:

Edgedancer spoilers.

Hide contents

I hope the part two character is Axies. The fact that he is namedropped in Edgedancer makes it more likely that he will have a part to play.

The Part 2 POV might also be one of the following:

-Stick who talks about being a stick.

-Yalb surviving and going Rambo on the Voidbringers.

I think the mystery Part 2 novella character is Moash and I think one of the occasional sporadic viewpoint is Rock. One of the others might be this second Windrunner we are getting in book 3 and/or one other bridgemen. I suspect the "fluff" he perhaps might remove revolves around Bridge 4. He said many fans would like it, but it is disconnected from the main narrative, it breaks the pace and it not quite fit within the overall story even if funny to read. 

I am keen to see what Brandon will decide to do, though I think I would love having the opportunity to read the story with them and without them in order to make up my own mind.

3 hours ago, Chull #445 said:

Yeah, he did. I dont know where the WoB is though, but it is confirmed that we will have a second one.

I think he announced it on Reddit, but he definitely confirmed it. He said we would see another Windrunner take his oaths in the next book. He however never said if this Windrunner was getting viewpoints or not. It is however bound to be a relatively minor character. I think the purpose here is to show us how the same oaths can be said in different ways and how different knights will come to adhere to those in different manner given their own personal story.

16 minutes ago, maxal said:

I think he announced it on Reddit, but he definitely confirmed it. He said we would see another Windrunner take his oaths in the next book. He however never said if this Windrunner was getting viewpoints or not. It is however bound to be a relatively minor character. I think the purpose here is to show us how the same oaths can be said in different ways and how different knights will come to adhere to those in different manner given their own personal story.

I agree it will likely be a (relatively) minor character. We haven't seen much of his personality, but I've wondered what's up with Skar for awhile now. He's always mentioned in the same breathe as Moash for being the best fighter amount Bridge 4, so he likely has some significance. Maybe he'd be up for it? This could also serve to show a squire rise to knighthood. 

2 minutes ago, Jaconis said:

I agree it will likely be a (relatively) minor character. We haven't seen much of his personality, but I've wondered what's up with Skar for awhile now. He's always mentioned in the same breathe as Moash for being the best fighter amount Bridge 4, so he likely has some significance. Maybe he'd be up for it? This could also serve to show a squire rise to knighthood. 

I think it is highly likely the new Windrunner will be taken out of Bridge 4. My thoughts are perhaps he is Moash, who is getting many viewpoints, but I have also pinned him as a Dustbringer, so we will see. Other candidates would definitely be Skar, though I had him pinned to be Drehy's love interest. Teft and/or Rock could be it too. We know Rock is getting one viewpoint, much like Teft got his in WoR.

1 hour ago, maxal said:

Are you thinking of this WoB?

Because that doesn't say "next book", it says "future book" which could just as easily mean book 10 as book 3 (though granted I'd expect to see it far sooner than book 10).

19 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

Are you thinking of this WoB?

Because that doesn't say "next book", it says "future book" which could just as easily mean book 10 as book 3 (though granted I'd expect to see it far sooner than book 10).

No. He said something very precise on Reddit. He did say we would see another Windrunner take up his oaths in book 3.

35 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

Fair enough. Annoyingly I must have missed that WoB then.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. :)

Yeah well, it is easy to miss stuff on Reddit. I try to read on an every day basis, but even then, I probably missed stuff.

I think the next Windrunner will only be from Bridge 4 if Brandon wants to show us something about how squires work and potentially developing them into Knights (which is possible).  Otherwise, it may be someone unrelated, or perhaps someone Kaladin will find in Hearthstone or somewhere else along his way and help them along the way.

4 hours ago, maxal said:

I think it is highly likely the new Windrunner will be taken out of Bridge 4. My thoughts are perhaps he is Moash, who is getting many viewpoints, but I have also pinned him as a Dustbringer, so we will see. Other candidates would definitely be Skar, though I had him pinned to be Drehy's love interest. Teft and/or Rock could be it too. We know Rock is getting one viewpoint, much like Teft got his in WoR.

How do we know that Moash will have many viewpoints?

Brandon Sanderson visiting Poland! And in March, at that, which would mean that it'd after the exam session and I wouldn't feel guilty about it! And it'd be in Warsaw! I really hope this actually happens.

I wonder about Part 2 - is it going to visit many different side characters just to show us what's going on all over Roshar? Usually Interludes are the place for that, but maybe, if the events are speeding up... Or maybe it's Brandon just spotlighting some minor characters, seeing how it's apparently cut-able.

Also, anybody willing to speculate what those new end pages will contain? If I were to make a baseless speculation, I'd say one of them would be the spren map of Roshar, with spren cities and the like.

Edited by Rasarr

2 hours ago, Rasarr said:

Brandon Sanderson visiting Poland! And in March, at that, which would mean that it'd after the exam session and I wouldn't feel guilty about it! And it'd be in Warsaw! I really hope this actually happens.

I wonder about Part 2 - is it going to visit many different side characters just to show us what's going on all over Roshar? Usually Interludes are the place for that, but maybe, if the events are speeding up... Or maybe it's Brandon just spotlighting some minor characters, seeing how it's apparently cut-able.

Also, anybody willing to speculate what those new end pages will contain? If I were to make a baseless speculation, I'd say one of them would be the spren map of Roshar, with spren cities and the like.

As far as I could tell from Brandon's various comments on Reddit, Part 2 is visiting several minor characters which are included within the main narrative without actually having POV. From his latest update, it seems they are more fluff than actual story which might be why he once said Part 2 was strong in characterization. He also admitted those chapters read more like interludes inserted within the main narrative which is why he is worried about them. 

So I guess we'll see what he decides to do. I am partial on it: part of me wants to read what he has come up with, no matter what it is, but the other part of me wished those precious pages were spent on our established characters and not minor ones, especially just for fluff. This being said, I like fluff... so.. huh... RAFO?