[AU spoilers] I'm Confused

Caevita

Now, I had assumed (as I assume you assumed) that Elantris' Chasm was a result of Odium splintering Devotion and Dominion.  And then Khriss dropped this line in "the Selish system:" "I am uncertain whether their (Devotion and Dominion's) power was left to ravage the world for a time... This all happened during the days of human prehistory on Sel."

I'm confused.

So yeah, thoughts?  Is there a WoB on this that I am ignorant of?

I'm pretty sure that devotion was splintered for a long time before the Reod as the Seons are supposed to be splinters of devotion however I am unsure of what the splinters of dominion are but I'm sure I could figure it out if I re read elantris or emperors soul. Also sin elantris only takes place like 1000 years or so before storm light 1-5 shouldn't odium still be stuck in greater roshar? I'm pretty sure that the Reod was just cause by the chasm which In turn was just caused by an earthquake or maybe a elantrian was storming around with the more powerful aons but what do I know I'm a complete scrub when it comes to thinking smartly and making inferences

Edited by Gizmosowner
I'm stupid and want to add more

14 minutes ago, Gizmosowner said:

I'm pretty sure that devotion was splintered for a long time before the Reod as the Seons are supposed to be splinters of devotion however I am unsure of what the splinters of dominion are but I'm sure I could figure it out if I re read elantris or emperors soul. Also sin elantris only takes place like 1000 years or so before storm light 1-5 shouldn't odium still be stuck in greater roshar? I'm pretty sure that the Reod was just cause by the chasm which In turn was just caused by an earthquake or maybe a elantrian was storming around with the more powerful aons but what do I know I'm a complete scrub when it comes to thinking smartly and making inferences

An excellent point about the Seons, actually.  But that leads us back to our first question... what, exactly, caused the chasm/Reod?  Apparently not Odium.

47 minutes ago, Caevita said:

An excellent point about the Seons, actually.  But that leads us back to our first question... what, exactly, caused the chasm/Reod?  Apparently not Odium.

My guess was just some sort of natural disaster  like an earthquake but to do something like create the chasm it would have to be quite powerful so there is a good chance that a shard could have had some influence in it or it may have just been a elantrian messing around with his powers. Either way we might find out in Elantris 2. Has anyone thought about how Hoid might have caused it in his quest to become an elantrian? Don't have any proof but I guess it's interesting to think about

1 minute ago, Gizmosowner said:

My guess was just some sort of natural disaster  like an earthquake but to do something like create the chasm it would have to be quite powerful so there is a good chance that a shard could have had some influence in it or it may have just been a elantrian messing around with his powers. Either way we might find out in Elantris 2. Has anyone thought about how Hoid might have caused it in his quest to become an elantrian? Don't have any proof but I guess it's interesting to think about

Huh.  I had not considered Hoid as a potential cause of the chasm.  I, uh.  I don't know if that fits with what we know of Hoid or not.  He's kind of an enigma.  But remember, magic on Sel is very location-based, a byproduct of the two splinters' powers being stuck in the cognitive realm.  Probably rules out the become-an-elantrian plan, but maybe he tried to hop into the cognitive realm?  I seem to remember a quote about it being "inhospitable' or some such.  That could easily have been Hoid.

4 minutes ago, Gizmosowner said:

He did say in storm light to dalinar that he would let the world burn to achieve his goals which happened on eel due to the Reod however as far as I know he didn't become elantrian

That's what I'm saying, since all of Sel's magic is location-based, being an elantrian would be meaningless on any other planet, in any other country for that matter.  Remember how much harder it was for the Elantrians to use their aons across the sea?  That said, him trying to mess with the cognitive realm still makes sense, I think.

Edited by Caevita

Even if it is location based shouldn't they be able to modify the design of the aons to fit their location? I wouldn't be surprised that if Hoid had become an elantrian then he would of found a way to fuel it other then just location, for example using stored investiture in nicrosil  or finding a way to use stormlight. Prob just me speaking out my chull hole so don't mind me when someone much more educated proves me wrong

2 minutes ago, Gizmosowner said:

Even if it is location based shouldn't they be able to modify the design of the aons to fit their location? I wouldn't be surprised that if Hoid had become an elantrian then he would of found a way to fuel it other then just location, for example using stored investiture in nicrosil  or finding a way to use stormlight. Prob just me speaking out my chull hole so don't mind me when someone much more educated proves me wrong

I... guess?  Maybe?  I don't really think so though, the people in Emperor's Soul have a completely different magic system from Elantris, who have a completely different magic system from the Shu-Dereth people.

Yes but that may just be because of the influence of the two different shards on the planet aka devotion and dominion. Most people think that elantrian are from devotion while shy deregulate monks are from dominion and that soul stamping is either a mix of the two or is similar to the fabrial tech on roshar which I think is like magic from before the shattering,

5 minutes ago, Caevita said:

I... guess?  Maybe?  I don't really think so though, the people in Emperor's Soul have a completely different magic system from Elantris, who have a completely different magic system from the Shu-Dereth people.

Just now, Gizmosowner said:

Yes but that may just be because of the influence of the two different shards on the planet aka devotion and dominion. Most people think that elantrian are from devotion while shy deregulate monks are from dominion and that soul stamping is either a mix of the two or is similar to the fabrial tech on roshar which I think is like magic from before the shattering,

"Because the Cognitive Realm has distinct locations, magic on Sel is very dependent on physical position.  In addition, the rules of perception and intent are greatly manified on Sel, to the point that language directly shapes the magic as it is put to use."  I know I shortened the quote, but that's got the important parts.

1 minute ago, Caevita said:

"Because the Cognitive Realm has distinct locations, magic on Sel is very dependent on physical position.  In addition, the rules of perception and intent are greatly manified on Sel, to the point that language directly shapes the magic as it is put to use."  I know I shortened the quote, but that's got the important parts.

Well there goes my theory

8 hours ago, MadhavDeval said:

Doesn't Khriss imply that the earthquake that caused the Reod was caused by the semi sentient splinters who personified countries?

Can you give me a quote to that effect?  I must have missed that.

10 hours ago, Caevita said:

From the wob's I have in memory, since mobile doesn't like theoryland , it always sounded like Odium was technically at fault, but couldnt really be considered accountable for it.

Odium's actions splintered D&D and stuck them in the cognitive realm. The full power of shards are usually in the Spiritual, which doesn't care about time or space. Now, that immense energy is confined in the Cognitive, where space matters, making the Dor some kind of energy maelstrom. (Why you can't easily worldhop to Sel.) Brandon made it sound like that immense pressure had after effects, since it doesn't have the numerous Spren to release excess energy, only a few Seons/Skaze. Pressure built up until it snapped, big quake, chasm, Elantrian Magic was in the wrong place at the wrong time, etc...

12 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

From the wob's I have in memory, since mobile doesn't like theoryland , it always sounded like Odium was technically at fault, but couldnt really be considered accountable for it.

Odium's actions splintered D&D and stuck them in the cognitive realm. The full power of shards are usually in the Spiritual, which doesn't care about time or space. Now, that immense energy is confined in the Cognitive, where space matters, making the Dor some kind of energy maelstrom. (Why you can't easily worldhop to Sel.) Brandon made it sound like that immense pressure had after effects, since it doesn't have the numerous Spren to release excess energy, only a few Seons/Skaze. Pressure built up until it snapped, big quake, chasm, Elantrian Magic was in the wrong place at the wrong time, etc...

The only part I'm wondering about is the pressure build up.  Do we have a WoB on that specifically, or could something else (say, a worldhopper coming over to Sel) have caused the quake?

41 minutes ago, Caevita said:

The only part I'm wondering about is the pressure build up.  Do we have a WoB on that specifically, or could something else (say, a worldhopper coming over to Sel) have caused the quake?

A worldhopper could've caused it, but we have some sources which state that the Dor is really unstable and it's causing some weird things with Sel's land. Apparently the land itself is becoming invested and it's causing it to be sentient.