WoB stack exchange

Oversleep

I seem to recall a WoB that goes something like this:

Who's the oldest people in the cosmere that aren't Shards?

Frost and Hoid.

I saw it after March 27th of this year (because that's the last time I posted about my 'Frost is a Shard on Yolen' theory. Which most likely means that it was from an event in the past six months, although it is entirely possible I merely saw an older WoB around that time.

Can anyone help me find it?

5 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Can anyone help me find it?

INTERVIEW: Aug 13th, 2014

QUESTION

Who is the oldest character we know?
Can a person in Shardplate be Rioted or Soothed? What about Seeked?
Could a Coinshot, in a fight, damage Shardplate?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Frost is almost certainly the oldest by a small amount. After that, Hoid.

TAGS

frosthoid,

14 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Close, but that's not it. The WoB I'm looking for convinced me that Frost is not a Shard, which was a theory I had previously held.

Hmmm. The only straight question and reply I can find is this one, which still doesn't seem like it fits what you say you got from it.

mysteriouspenguin

What non-worldhopper character we've seen so far is the most cosmere-savy?

Brandon Sanderson

Frost or Sazed, most likely.

I searched specifically for "Frost" and this answer and the one The Sovereign posted are the only two I can find that are a simple answer of two characters. 

Edited by Calderis

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

I searched specifically for "Frost" and this answer and the one The Sovereign posted are the only two I can find that are a simple answer of two characters.

Problem with Frost it that there are several WoBs that do not mention him by name. Those are about the person Hoid wrote the letter to or "Recipient" and that stuff.

We know Frost is still on Yolen:

Question

During the events of Stormlight Archive, is Yolen still populated?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes... yes, I would say so since a letter is written to somebody on Yolen.
source

So if there was a WoB that there are no Shards on Yolen, that would settle it.

Just now, Overstorm said:

Problem with Frost it that there are several WoBs that do not mention him by name. Those are about the person Hoid wrote the letter to or "Recipient" and that stuff.

We know Frost is still on Yolen:

So if there was a WoB that there are no Shards on Yolen, that would settle it.

True, but I was operating under the assumption that Page was correct in his memory of the answer containing Frost by name. 

I'll broaden my search. 

7 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

It may not mention Frost and Hoid by name. The important parts were longevity, and the exclusion of Shards from the question.

Uhh... it's gonna be hard.

Do you happen to remember any word or phrase it contained?

Just now, Overstorm said:

Uhh... it's gonna be hard.

Do you happen to remember any word or phrase it contained?

'Shards' is about the only one. Maybe a variation of 'letter' or 'correspond,' and definitely something along the lines of 'longevity,' 'old,' or 'immortal.'

On 9/22/2017 at 9:21 AM, Pagerunner said:

'Shards' is about the only one. Maybe a variation of 'letter' or 'correspond,' and definitely something along the lines of 'longevity,' 'old,' or 'immortal.'

Is this the quote you're looking for?

Q: We know that Hoid is really old. Is there anyone else around that same age who is not a Shardholder?

A: Yes. He communicates with one of these people by a letter in one of them.

Q: [inaudible]

A: Not very many, let’s say that.

[Source]

(I found it mentioned in this post, which is probably where you first saw it.)

I'm looking for a WoB about an Elantrian wielding Nightblood.

We have this one from a while ago:

Question

Could an Elantrian wield Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

It's possible but would be very dangerous - you'd have to figure out a way to connect Nightblood with a local source of Investiture.

But I remember seeing one that is much more recent, and much more specific. It stated that the Elantrian would have to draw Aons and swing Nightblood through them to "consume" the Investiture.

I seem to recall an essay Sanderson wrote about book popularity within the fantasy genre and how there were different levels of popularity, where if you're like Martin popular you get somewhat known outside the genre and get films, and then you have Hunger Games popularity where it kind of is a cultural thing. I feel like he used the phrase "transcends genre" but I don't know.

1 hour ago, 18th Shard said:

I seem to recall an essay Sanderson wrote about book popularity within the fantasy genre and how there were different levels of popularity, where if you're like Martin popular you get somewhat known outside the genre and get films, and then you have Hunger Games popularity where it kind of is a cultural thing. I feel like he used the phrase "transcends genre" but I don't know.

He's spoken about it on Reddit before, when people were discussing his sales figures. I couldn't track down the link, though, but maybe that will help you in your searching.

17 hours ago, 18th Shard said:

This?

If you ever have problems tracking it down, check Brandon's gilded stuff.

On 28.09.2017 at 3:34 AM, The One Who Connects said:

But I remember seeing one that is much more recent, and much more specific. It stated that the Elantrian would have to draw Aons and swing Nightblood through them to "consume" the Investiture.

@The One Who Connects said it's this one:

Brandon Sanderson

No, what you would have to do is open some conduit to the Dor that's persistent, like a light or something, and he will suck through that, he would probably end up sucking the whole Aon.

Questioner

Sucking Elantris itself?

Brandon Sanderson

Sucking Elantris itself would work, yeah, but you're gonna be in trouble if he sucks up the whole thing, which is totally possible.

[source currently forbidden] It's Barnes & Noble from June 11th 2016.

I don't have time to look for the transcription doc if there is any. I pulled it out of WoBinator 4000.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember a WoB that said that there might exist evil honorspren?

I've tried searching theoryland, @Pagerunner's excellent excel document of Reddit WoBs (not to mention a search of Reddit itself), and I've tried searching google for it, but haven't been able to find it. Either I'm severely misremembering, or it's buried somewhere that I've haven't thought to look.

13 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

Does anyone remember a WoB that said that there might exist evil honorspren?

I've tried searching theoryland, @Pagerunner's excellent excel document of Reddit WoBs (not to mention a search of Reddit itself), and I've tried searching google for it, but haven't been able to find it. Either I'm severely misremembering, or it's buried somewhere that I've haven't thought to look.

WoBinator is a glorious thing:

Blightsong

Can honorspren, or any other type of Knight Radiant spren, be evil despite their relationship to Tanavast or Cultivation?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, because I don't call the Shards good and evil. There are no good and evil Shards in my opinion, like and so, what's evil and what's not evil- you can totally have spren that are of Honor that you would consider evil. They have free will; they are much more strictly limited in that free will than we are, because of their nature as spren. It's very hard for most spren to every break an oath or to lie. That's just like- as manifestations of laws of nature makes it very hard for that to happen, but they can be cruel.

source

Is that it?

• 1 month later...

So I remember reading a WoB that confirmed what each of Shallan's oaths/truths were but I can't find it on Theoryland or Arcanum...

I believe it was formatted something like:

1: Life Before Death, Strength Before Weakness, Journey Before Destination.
2: I'm terrified.
3: I killed my father.
4: I killed my mother.