WoB stack exchange

Oversleep

1 hour ago, Kurkistan said:

I recall a WoB that it's possible to use Feruchemical copper to store "partial" memories: so you'd store say half of a memory and still have a fuzzy recollection of it, with the coppermind containing the other half. Can't find it now, though. :/

This one?

Voidus

Would an Archivist who was sufficiently practised be able to store memories at different strengths? (Keep a vague recollection of the memory as well as a stored copy which would degrade faster)

Brandon Sanderson

I don't think this is outside of reason for one to do, if they wanted to. I'm not sure if they would want to, but it's plausible.

1 hour ago, bleeder said:

Or maybe you just don't remember all of it? :ph34r:

:o

16 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

This one?

source

Yup, that's the one. Thanks. It looks like I was using just about every wrong search term I could: copper, Feruchemy/ist, "partial". :/

1 minute ago, Kurkistan said:

Yup, that's the one. Thanks. It looks like I was using just about every wrong search term I could: copper, Feruchemy/ist, "partial". :/

I remembered the part about "at different strengths"... so I've just typed into google "strength feruchemy copper site:theoryland.com" which took me to theoryland tag search of "feruchemy" .Then I just pressed ctrl+f and searched for "memory"... and jackpot :D  (BTW, it's kinda weird that there were only four results and, furthermore, only two referred to Feruchemical copper...)

Alright, I give up trying to find this WoB and would greatly appreciate any help in finding it.

Basically, I'm looking for a WoB that says that the strength of an allomancer is related to the rate at which they burn metal reserves. I swear I remember seeing something to the effect of this, but for the life of me I cannot find it.

1 hour ago, 8bitBob said:

Alright, I give up trying to find this WoB and would greatly appreciate any help in finding it.

Basically, I'm looking for a WoB that says that the strength of an allomancer is related to the rate at which they burn metal reserves. I swear I remember seeing something to the effect of this, but for the life of me I cannot find it.

Is that this one?

Q: Does a more powerful Mistborn burn their metals more quickly, or do they use what they get more efficiently?
A: Metal burning speed is proportional to power withdrawn.
source

it's from reddit and @Yata always said it's hard to find it every time... fortunately I remembered he posted it in my thread about Allomantic Strenght :D

I found the WoB that Nightblood isn't reducing the amount of investiture in the Cosmere and that it's remaining in the system: It was in my bookmarks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/brandonsanderson/comments/3wtis8/new_wob_finite_amount_of_investiture/

Looks like I was smarter than I thought when I found that WoB. You need to read down to find the exact WoB, but I would read the whole thread.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

39 minutes ago, jofwu said:

Has Brandon explicitly confirmed that Hoid is the Letter author? There's a theoryland quote where he basically implies it, but can't find anything to use as a source in the Coppermind article.

I'd call this confirmation. Not sure if that's what you already have, though.

Edited by Pagerunner

On 2017/3/2 at 0:52 PM, Landis963 said:

Thanks, do you know if there are any others?  I'm trying to find a link between Mraize's tree branch and the fain life of Yolen, but I'm not finding anything more concrete than supposition.  

On 2017/3/2 at 1:03 PM, Extesian said:

Unfortunately no, I'm not bad at finding things through theoryland but I struggle with Reddit where there could be something. That said I very much doubt that Brandon would give anything on a link to Yolen, that's mostly RAFO-bait from what I've seen, with Liar being non-canon. I think he's generally RAFO'd things about fain life on the occasion they've been asked. What I am surprised about is that there haven't been more questions to him on Mraize's collection as it's one of the best cosmere-fan tidbits in WoR. If you find anything though I'd love to see it.

I should add though that the best theory I've seen on the branch is that it's a dakhor bone. See here. I'd like it to be fain life but I have my doubts.

I only found this WoB:

Event: SoS London signing (Oct 19, 2015)

[02:37:00]

Questioner: The cosmere treasure room had a white tree branch thing, was that the bone from Sel.

Brandon: It is not from Sel, it’s from Yolen.

It only confirmed that it is from Yolen, but nothing more.

8 minutes ago, Figberts said:

I remember another Sharder saying that Frost cannot worldhop. Is this true? Obviously looking up "Dragon" in Theoryland got me mostly Jordan stuff.

The only informations about are relate to "Frost isn't a Worldhopper" and for worldhopper's definition this mean he never left Yolen.

But maybe he want not to leave the Planet, we can't assume he can't leave Yolen

Edited by Yata

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Djarskublar said:

Is there a WoB about the Shard's ability to affect the way their magic manifests itself? I feel like there was one back in the day to the effect that they only have limited control with the exception of Scadrial, but I can't find it.

I have a WoB about magic not being directly created by Shards:

Is Hemalurgy dead? No, not at all. It, like the other two powers, was not created by Ruin or Preservation, but by the natural state of the world and its interaction with the gods who created it. It still requires the same method of creation, but very few people are aware of how it works.
source

10 minutes ago, Steelheart said:

Looking for a WoB that Kelsier is a Steel and/or Iron savant 

I'm pretty well versed in the WoBs and I don't think that there is one confirming this. 

With that said, During Era 1 Kelsier wasn't Mistborn for all that long (a couple of years) so it is unlikely that he became a savant as he wasn't constantly burning his metals or anything like that.

With that said, (BoM/Secret History spoiler)

Kelsier as the Sovereign may well have been a Savant but that is purely speculation.

Edited by Iron Eyes

8 minutes ago, Iron Eyes said:

I'm pretty well versed in the WoBs and I don't think that there is one confirming this. 

With that said, During Era 1 Kelsier wasn't Mistborn for all that long (a couple of years) so it is unlikely that he became a savant as he wasn't constantly burning his metals or anything like that.

With that said, (BoM/Secret History spoiler)

Hide contents

Kelsier as the Sovereign may well have been a Savant but that is purely speculation.

I remember reading something he a said about how Kelsier and Zane were both unnaturally gifted with Steel

19 minutes ago, Steelheart said:

I remember reading something he a said about how Kelsier and Zane were both unnaturally gifted with Steel

Zane was augmented by his Hemalurgic Spike:
WoB:

INTERVIEW: Oct, 2008

KAIMIPONO (15 OCTOBER 2008)

What was Zane's hemalurgical power? (Or was he just spiked for control?)

BRANDON SANDERSON (16 OCTOBER 2008)

Extra power with Pushing on metals. It lent him extremely great precision.

TAGS

As for Kelsier, I've never seen a WoB relating to his Steel and/or Iron being enhanced. I have heard Brandon say in person that Kelsier was abnormally talented with Steel Pushing and Iron Pulling so that may be what you are thinking of. The indication I had heard from Brandon on that however that it was all Kelsier in a Mozart could just play music type of way.

Edited by Iron Eyes

I vaguely remember a WoB regarding whether or not you can use the metalminds of someone whose Feruchemical ability you stole via Hemalurgy, but it doesn't seem to be in Theoryland. Does anyone remember where it is (if it really does exist and I'm not just misremembering things)?

1 hour ago, Steelheart said:

Here

How much control do Allomancers have over pushing and pulling metals?

Brandon Sanderson (20 October 2008)

Depends on the Allomancer. Zane and Kelsier were both unusually skilled in this area, and represent the higher end of what is possible.

No Savanthood confirmation, but..