Twinborn genetics (AoL spoilers)

TheAscendedDude

Hi guys! I am new here and I had a thought about the twinborn. Sorry if this has been posted before. (Excuse me for any mistakes, english is not my native language)

So. We know that a twinborn has access to one allomantic and one feruchemical power. This is possible because of the fact that they had both allomancer and feruchemist ancestors/parents. We also know that by Wax's time, there are no Mistborn, only Mistings, and no full Feruchemists, only Ferrings, as the wiki said that that was the cost of twinborn becoming possible. The powers intermingled with each other, creating the twinborn. 

We also know that there were mistings waaaay before Sazed's Ascension, but no ferrings. Why? Feruchemy was much older, it should have been the first to start becoming weaker (though that might be because the remaining feruchemists after TLR's Ascension tried keeping the bloodline pure, but let's ignore that for now). Mistings and mistborn also had to snap to access their powers.

-Feruchemy has a tendency of being whole and not having to snap

-Allomancy has a tendency of having to snap and only giving access to mostly one power

What does this mean? As the sDNA of the two metallic arts mixed they created something new. They kept some traits and threw away the rest. Feruchemy took on the tendency to only have one power. And Allomancy here it comes, be ready, took on the tendency of not having to snap.

Why I think so? We have been told before that after Sazed's Ascension, the method of snapping was changed. I also don't remember Wax or Wayne saying anything snapping-related (correct me if I'm wrong) in all of alloy era. It was also said that metalborn are much more common in Wax's time, which kinda feels connected to my theory. At the age of, let's say 10, each child is given a vial of all the sixteen (fourteen, as you are pretty useless as an aluminum or duraluminum gnat unless you are a compunder) metals to drink, thus finding the allomancers. The main problem in the Final Empire was that even if someone snapped, they would have no idea they are allomancers (except if you snap for a metal you can get from food or water, like Vin did). In the Alloy Era, such a problem doesn't exist anymore.

These are my thoughts. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Welcome to the forums @TheAscendedDude. Good first post. Have an upvote. Also, your written English is excellent and needs no apology.

I agree that snapping no longer looks to be a requirement under Harmony. This means that no crack in the spirit web is needed to allow the investiture. This is very different from what Brandon says about needing room in a cracked spirit web to allow room for the extra investiture. Is this because of the end positive nature of allomancy, or is everyone now somewhat cracked in Harmonies time?

I wonder.

23 minutes ago, TheAscendedDude said:

We also know that there were Mistings waaaay before Sazed's Ascension, but no Ferrings. Why? Feruchemy was much older, it should have been the first to start becoming weaker (though that might be because the remaining Feruchemists after TLR's Ascension tried keeping the bloodline pure, but let's ignore that for now).

Mistborn only became a thing due to Allomancy becoming stronger (the Lerasium) Feruchemy in its natural state was all 16(18 with God metals) powers. Allomancy in its natural state was Mistings, having only 1 power each. Feruchemy was as weak as it could naturally get as long as they didn't intermingle with Allomancy.

29 minutes ago, TheAscendedDude said:

What does this mean? As the sDNA of the two metallic arts mixed they created something new. They kept some traits and threw away the rest. Feruchemy took on the tendency to only have one power. And Allomancy here it comes, be ready, took on the tendency of not having to snap.

Unfortunately, they are still required to Snap. It's a Cosmere wide concept.

How does Snapping work after Sazed changed it? If you don't want to reveal it all right now, are there any hints you can give us?

Brandon Sanderson

He couldn't get rid of this entirely. I don't want to spoil things, but Snapping was built into Allomancy primarily because of larger-scale magical issues. This is getting deep into the issue, but it has to do with a person's spiritual makeup and a 'wounded' spirit being easier to fill with something else, kind of like a cut would let something into the bloodstream. Sazed made this threshold on Scadrial much easier to obtain.
We know that Mistborn needed to Snap, and Surgebinders needed have the cracks in their souls filled. But what about the people in Warbreaker or Elantris? Is cracking and snapping only required on certain worlds?

Brandon Sanderson (Paraphrased)

This is universal to the Cosmere; however, in certain magic systems / on certain worlds, this is easier than others.

That said..

32 minutes ago, TheAscendedDude said:

Why I think so? We have been told before that after Sazed's Ascension, the method of snapping was changed. I also don't remember Wax or Wayne saying anything snapping-related (correct me if I'm wrong) in all of alloy era. It was also said that Metalborn are much more common in Wax's time, which kinda feels connected to my theory. At the age of, let's say 10, each child is given a vial of all the sixteen (fourteen, as you are pretty useless as an Aluminum or Duralumin gnat unless you are a Compounder) metals to drink, thus finding the Allomancers. The main problem in the Final Empire was that even if someone snapped, they would have no idea they are Allomancers (except if you snap for a metal you can get from food or water, like Vin did). In the Alloy Era, such a problem doesn't exist anymore.

Snapping used to be great emotional trauma of some sort, which led to nobles being beaten near to death. Perhaps now that it is changed,

Sazed chose to alter the way Snapping works. It bothered him. It does happen, but differently.

it may be something that can happen naturally, as opposed to a forced trauma. I cannot for the life of me think of some natural process Sazed could've switched it for, but I like your points. i hadn't considered much beyond the F-genes and the A-genes interfere before making this post, so upvote for making us think creatively

Does this belong in the Secret History board? Maybe it should be moved to the regular Mistborn forum?

With regard to the topic: there is a theory that feruchemy is more akin to Mistborn in that it was not a naturally occurring phenomenon initially. (Mistings are a natural part of Scadrial; Mistborn are not.) There is also a theory that Ferrings always existed, but no one realized.

7 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

it may be something that can happen naturally, as opposed to a forced trauma. I cannot for the life of me think of some natural process Sazed could've switched it for, but I like your points. i hadn't considered much beyond the F-genes and the A-genes interfere before making this post, so upvote for making us think creatively

Maybe he lowered the threshold to labor a la Vin Snapping into a Mistborn during her ("exceptionally difficult", IIRC) birth?  The newborn Allomancers wouldn't know they had powers until they ingested metal.  Although if he wanted to make Allomancy completely safe, he'd have just lowered the threshold to some bad sickness or something.  

Edited by Landis963

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe snapping just requires the type of misery/pain that most people suffer at some point in their lives? A birh that's rough.  Breaking your leg. Losing a loved one. Getting dumped by someone you love. Getting bullied in school. 

All things that can be painful and/or miserable, but something like that is bound to happen to everyone at some point. So then everyone would be able to snap. 

• Chaos locked this topic