End of WoR and Interludes

Walin

After looking back through the end of WoR, I noticed something odd. 

Spoiler

After they get to Urithiru, Dalinar mentions some things that are all connected to an interlude.

New emperor in Azir --- Lift's Interlude

Taravangian "stumbles" into the throne at Jah Keved --- Taravangian Interlude

Kholinar in a state of riot --- Lazy ardent's Interlude

Plague in the Purelake --- wait, what?!?

I know that there's one Interlude that happened in the Purelake, but it doesn't suggest at all that

Spoiler

a plague

could happen. Any evidence or theories?

8 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I believe it is mentioned that something was going around the Purelake in the interlude. Either way, it's not that important, just the sniffles. It's not dangerous to them, just surprising since Rosharans don't normally get sick. 

many viruses can reside in a species without being harmful but are deadly to other species  , dogs and cows specificaly have quite a lot of these

we don't know the anatomical difereces between citizents of each world but even in roshar , we had skaa and noblemen being very diferent 

the only problem that i find with this theory is that then living in silverlight would be very dangerus ... but who knows.

P.S. @Walin from the title i thought that it was a theory about how the new books wouldn't have interludes

Edited by Manukos

14 minutes ago, Manukos said:

many viruses can reside in a species without being harmful but are deadly to other species  , dogs and cows specificaly have quite a lot of these

we don't know the anatomical difereces between citizents of each world but even in roshar , we had skaa and noblemen being very diferent 

the only problem that i find with this theory is that then living in silverlight would be very dangerus ... but who knows.

P.S. @Walin from the title i thought that it was a theory about how the new books wouldn't have interludes

This isn't a theory. Brandon has confirmed it in a WoB. They don't get sick normally because of all the he ambient investiture on Roshar.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

3 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

This isn't a theory. Brandon has confirmed it in a WoB. They don't get sick normally because of all the he ambient investiture on Roshar.

And because of this, something as small as .. 7ish people all getting sick in quick succession is called a plague. In addition to Because of the ambient investiture, the Rosharan people have never had the common cold before, so they aren't used to it/call the symptoms worse than they really are

6 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

"a sickness introduced to population who never had it before is deadly" [..] It's not "oh no 7 people are getting sick it's a plague". It's a full on plague.

You are correct, it is more full-on than I implied in my statement. 7 was an arbitrary for the point that several people all getting sick at once is cause for more concern in their unnaturally healthy society than we might normally call it, since we know how common things like the "common cold" are.

6 hours ago, Oversleep said:

It's more like "a sickness introduced to population who never had it before is deadly". You know, like Indians and smallpox.

It's not "oh no 7 people are getting sick it's a plague". It's a full on plague.

It's not deadly. Brandon describes it as a plague of sniffles. It's just scary because it's never happened before.

WEIRY

Whether the plague on the Purelake has anything to do with the fact that the magic fish form symbiotic bonds with spren?

BRANDON SANDERSON

No. Worldhoppers brought a disease to Roshar that they didn't have before. It's the common cold. Rosharans' investiture makes it so they’re usually a healthy bunch so something like the cold is kind of frightening. "Its a plague of the sniffles”.

[Source]

On 1/17/2017 at 4:47 AM, Manukos said:

I don't think silver light would suffer from that problem since it exists in the cognitive realm. While I have no idea if sicknesses can exist there I get the feeling that they don't. Otherwise you are right that silverlight would either be very dangerous or they have some kind of inoculation ready for first time visitors.

Edited by IAreNelson

• Chaos locked this topic