facebook sign in

manukos

i am not sure if there is a post about it already(if there is feel free to delete this), but there  is an option to join in from facebook , but it is dissabled  
at first when i first signed up i thought that i was only temporary but it is still like that .
i am certain that there is a good reason for it but i cannot find it. 

I...am actually kind of glad that feature is disabled, actually.  Not so much because I'm worried about Sharders finding me on FB (cause that's happened and it's fine), but because I don't want Facebook knowing about my Shard account.  It already knows too much.

And given the way I've seen that feature sneak up on other sites, it likes to pop up unexpectedly.  If I only used the desktop site it'd probably be fine, but I do occasionally log on from mobile.  I have butterfingers.  It would be far, far too easy to misclick on my phone (which has my FB login saved) and accidentally link the accounts.  That would, in my opinion, be disastrous.  And to the best of my knowledge, it can't be undone.

So, no.  I would very much prefer to see that feature never show its face around these parts.

On 15/1/2017 at 3:17 AM, Kaymyth said:

I...am actually kind of glad that feature is disabled, actually.  Not so much because I'm worried about Sharders finding me on FB (cause that's happened and it's fine), but because I don't want Facebook knowing about my Shard account.  It already knows too much.

And given the way I've seen that feature sneak up on other sites, it likes to pop up unexpectedly.  If I only used the desktop site it'd probably be fine, but I do occasionally log on from mobile.  I have butterfingers.  It would be far, far too easy to misclick on my phone (which has my FB login saved) and accidentally link the accounts.  That would, in my opinion, be disastrous.  And to the best of my knowledge, it can't be undone.

So, no.  I would very much prefer to see that feature never show its face around these parts.

yeah , sure, i get that , it is a valid reason  , but then why is there an option if it is dissabled indefinately ? 

i wouldn't mind it , mostly because i am preaty sure that i forgot my password and if i accidentaly log out i dont want to have all the hustle for retriving it.

2 hours ago, Manukos said:

yeah , sure, i get that , it is a valid reason  , but then why is there an option if it is dissabled indefinately ? 

i wouldn't mind it , mostly because i am preaty sure that i forgot my password and if i accidentaly log out i dont want to have all the hustle for retriving it.

Well, because the forum is built on a framework.  Lots of internet forums run on this same code platform; that feature must be built into the base code, and is something that webmasters can choose to activate or not.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15.01.2017 at 2:17 AM, Kaymyth said:

And to the best of my knowledge, it can't be undone.

It is possible to make Facebook forget about your account on some pages.

I believe it would also be possible to disconnect accounts on the forum side. 

To enable Facebook login on a website,the administrator has to register an "app" in Facebook. When you log in to the website for the first time, you give basic permissions to this app that represents the website. 

If you choose to revoke those permissions on fb, the next time you log in, you'll have to grant them again. 

Also, because of how it works, if the Shard would use only the login feature, Facebook doesn't get to know your username. All it knows is that you logged in to some account here. However, the Shard would know your Facebook account. Whether the Shard displays this information to other users or not is unknown to me. 

1 minute ago, Mestiv said:

It is possible to make Facebook forget about your account on some pages.

I believe it would also be possible to disconnect accounts on the forum side. 

To enable Facebook login on a website,the administrator has to register an "app" in Facebook. When you log in to the website for the first time, you give basic permissions to this app that represents the website. 

If you choose to revoke those permissions on fb, the next time you log in, you'll have to grant them again. 

Also, because of how it works, if the Shard would use only the login feature, Facebook doesn't get to know your username. All it knows is that you logged in to some account here. However, the Shard would know your Facebook account. Whether the Shard displays this information to other users or not is unknown to me. 

Honestly, Facebook knows...a lot more than it ought to.  It's connected me to people that I knew but should have had no way to know that I knew, unless it somehow traced me to my own Livejournal account.  Which I never deliberately gave it the tools to do.

3 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

Honestly, Facebook knows...a lot more than it ought to.  It's connected me to people that I knew but should have had no way to know that I knew, unless it somehow traced me to my own Livejournal account.  Which I never deliberately gave it the tools to do.

Oh I absolutely agree that it knows too much sometimes. It knows about every page you visit that has their "like" button etc. That's a different topic however. 

I personally wouldn't mind linking my Facebook account to the Shard, as I'm not really secretive about my identity :) from security point of view it's much safer to have an unpractically long password for the Shard account that you'd never use and rely on Facebbok to handle logging in. Fb has some very cool security features like two step authentication etc.