Topaz! Topaz! Topaz..! And Hoid..

Ok, I had a quick look and haven't notice anyone point this out yet..

We know that Topaz is one of Hoids names. And so I Wiki'd Topaz and the great god of Wiki states:

"Topaz is a silicate mineral of Aluminum"

And what do we know so far about Aluminum:

** Can't remember the exact phrase, but WoB stated Aluminum is like... Anti-Investiture..? **

Scadrial

• Allomancy: Burning aluminum causes the body to instantly metabolize its metal reserves without any other effect ** Now that sounds awfully Annoying, not unlike Hoid.. **
  • Feruchemy: An aluminum Ferring is known as a Trueself. Aluminum is used to store "spiritual sense of identity." ** Hoid doesn't have a thing about Identity now does he? **
  • Hemalurgy: When used as a Hemalurgic spike, aluminum steals enhancement Allomantic powers. **  Sounds like Duraluminum Allomancy.. Hmmm, I'm trying to link this to Hoid but I can only come up with something about Hoid and how he pushes our Heroes **
  • It kinda negates Allomancy; Can't be pushed / pulled, wearing an Aluminum Hat stops the voices, can't heal around aluminum. I'm sure there's more here, but.. Moving on.. ** From here I'm going to stop calling the "Aluminum Effect" annoying and we can take it for granted, ay? **

Sel

• Known as Ralkalest in the Rose Empire, aluminum cannot be altered at all via Forgery
  • Dang, nothing noted on the Coppermind about Jindo and the Dor priest magic vs Aluminum ** Anyone know anything here, as this is annoying (see what I did there?) **

Nalthis

• Aluminum cannot be Awakened. It is possible for Aluminum to prevent someone from Returning, but it cannot be achieved with simple methods such as stabbing them ** Sooo, can we store breaths in an Aluminum object? **

Roshar

• Items can be Soulcast into Aluminum. It is unknown if the Aluminum can then be Soulcast into other Essences. ** Hmm, just like Mistborn - Can Stormlight heal around Aluminum? **

Other Worlds

• Not really sure, but I'm betting on Aluminum has some quite interesting effects throughout the other cosmere worlds..

Does anyone have any thing else to add regarding the "Aluminum Effect"?

So looking at this and knowing Mr S is very deliberate in his wordings. This makes me think that Hoids being called Topaz is very profound.

Questions:

• Was Hoid given the name Topaz or did he take it?
  • Is the name Topaz in relation to something he can do or his personality?
  • If Hoid eats a some Topaz what happens?
  • Can Topaz be infused? (e.g. with Stormlight, though not exclusive)

I'm sure there's more question we could ask here, but I'll leave it to you guys to help me find them.

Soooo.. Thoughts people..?

*~ HIF ~*

Edited by Hoids Imaginary Friend

Hm...it certainly does sound like the choosing of the name 'Topaz' was intentional, connected to aluminum as it is. Also, I did a quick search and apparently topaz is the gemstone of one of the ten essences on Roshar. http://coppermind.net/wiki/Ten_Essences has more information, but I don't think it's at all connected to this. Aluminum is certainly important though.

On 1/13/2017 at 9:20 PM, Hoids Imaginary Friend said:

** Can't remember the exact phrase, but WoB stated Aluminum is like... Anti-Investiture..? **

It's complicated. The most useful thing we know about aluminum is that it is magically inert, i.e. investiture can't affect it. As an extension to this, you can also use aluminum as a sink for investiture - you can just keep on dumping it, and it won't do anything. 

It should be noted that Aluminum (in one form or another) is in the Corundum family of gemstones (Ruby and Sapphire) as well as the beryl family (Emerald and Heliodor). A number of types of garnets and topazes also include aluminum. So 6 of the ten Rosharian gemstones contain Aluminum. (Diamond, Zircon, Amethyst, Smokestone and the other four). BS was asked about the dividing line for these stones because so many are chemically similar and the answer was color/chemical composition combination is what is important. 

As to Hoid's being called Topaz it was because he used to wear a large one. I cannot even begin to guess why.

• 1 year later...
  • Chaos locked this topic