[Threnody] Pigs and Shadows

Oversleep

First I'd like to apologize if I offend someone by getting something wrong. It's not intentional.

We know that Simple Rules are loosely based on Jewish law of what can and cannot be done on Sabbath (Postscriptum of Shadows for Silence...).

Pigs are 'unclean' for Jews.

And that's why they're said to ward off the Shadows - it can be true in-world or just Brandon's nod to what inspired him.

Along those same lines I believe that bats and mice are also considered to be impure... Anyone ever considered a mouse infestation to be a good thing??? On in the Threnody System folks!!! Then all the bats come out and all the shadows are like, run away! :) Seriously though do you think mice and bats would have a, "similar effect?"

Well honestly, I figure most animals would have naturally adapted to the presence of shades by now. I think the only particular use for most would be to get shades to go after them instead by making them run (or somehow shed blood). I don't particularly recall if it was mentioned how animals have adapted to the shades though. It could be that they are more like animals in Sixth of the Dusk with their own investiture to protect them or something but I think some things are just going to end up being superstition.

I wonder how carnivores survive... Or do they? Maybe the Forests of Hell are seriously ecologically messed up, with no large carnivores. (It's possible that the body fluids of insects and such don't count as 'blood' to Shades, they're really quite different - so little carnivores might be OK).

Or maybe only human blood counts?

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, PewterAGoldF said:

I dont have access to my copy right now, but I dont remember any animal shades being mentioned, guess they dont have a strong enough cognitive body.

Older Shades began to lose their standard form so probably you will be unable to know what it was a Shades as a living being. Notice also there are probably too many Shades if they were made only by Human in 80 years.

10 minutes ago, Yata said:

Older Shades began to lose their standard form so probably you will be unable to know what it was a Shades as a living being. Notice also there are probably too many Shades if they were made only by Human in 80 years.

The Shades were already there when people arrived in the Forests. Also I'm almost certain only people turned into Shades; anyway, all the Shades we've seen are humanoid.

3 hours ago, Oversleep said:

The Shades were already there when people arrived in the Forests. Also I'm almost certain only people turned into Shades; anyway, all the Shades we've seen are humanoid.

Yeah I believe that is the case. I can only Imagine having to watch for tiny mouse and squirrel shades too. Now I suppose it is possible that without predators that nearly all animals die naturally, but I doubt it. Did we see what happened to the horses?

4 hours ago, DocHoliday said:

The horses "technically" shed blood, and were kill killed first

They actually started a fire from Silence's trap and then it says:

The horses had all fled or been consumed.

That clarifies it somewhat but we still don't really know for sure what becomes of animals when a shade consumes them. Why would it be any different for a human vs an animal. I still don't believe that there are animal shades but I do wonder what shades get out of touching living things.

• 1 month later...