Sword-Nimi

Farnsworth

@Extesian  -- My first thought was the same as @djammmer - the Korean honorific.  I haven't seen any other specifically Korean references in Stormlight anywhere, let alone the Shin language - which we've not seen that much (any?) of.  There are generic Asian fusions incorporated throughout all his books, but the only other specifically Korean references that I noticed in any of his books were in Rithmatist.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2017 at 9:24 PM, kwirked said:

@Extesian  -- My first thought was the same as @djammmer - the Korean honorific.  I haven't seen any other specifically Korean references in Stormlight anywhere, let alone the Shin language - which we've not seen that much (any?) of.  There are generic Asian fusions incorporated throughout all his books, but the only other specifically Korean references that I noticed in any of his books were in Rithmatist.

What about the Emperors soul? Isn't that distinctly korean? 

On 5/29/2017 at 9:59 AM, The Flash said:

What about the Emperors soul? Isn't that distinctly korean? 

That's what I was thinking, as I'm pretty sure Brandon has said that. Actually, I think he said the whole world of Sel is. But I don't have the desire to go flipping through it right now to find the korean stuff

On Monday, June 05, 2017 at 7:25 PM, Stormlightning said:

That's what I was thinking, as I'm pretty sure Brandon has said that. Actually, I think he said the whole world of Sel is. But I don't have the desire to go flipping through it right now to find the korean stuff

I think the exact wording was more along the lines of him putting several Asian-esque cultures onto Sel which made it a rather good fit for Forging's inspiration.  

There are Korean influences everywhere because Brandon did a LDS mission there.

The Alethi are the big one, they were heavily influenced by Korean culture mashed up with medieval knights. The glyphs are also based on Korean/Chinese writing systems I believe. The Azish government is based on Chinese Confucianism. The soulstamps are based on Korean stone carvings. Safehands are inspired by the Korean offense at the soles of feet. Horneater stew is based on a Korean dish J

Did someone say bad puns?

You better steel yourself for all the puns about allomancy... I'll tell them to you bold as brass, before I've even got all the details ironed out. What do you 'zinc of them? Personally I'd say they are comedic gold. I'd tell another, but I think my supply is pewtering out.

And if you didn't look carefully, you might have mist some of those.

Emperor's Soul has a heavy Asian influence, but not distinctly Korean per se.  Technically, it was based on a trip Brandon took to Taiwan and while there he visited a museum of the stamps they used to use (with red ink) for signatures.  While Koreans use a similar stamp system (or they used to anyway, it's a little antiquated now) for signatures this isn't strictly a 'Korean' story. They are pretty cool though - if you want to see some copy and paste 도장 into google images and they'll pop right up.

Edited by kwirked
typo edit

• 5 months later...
On 1/9/2017 at 0:15 AM, DarkJester said:

Not sure, but when I read it, for some reason it made me think of the Japanese Honorifics. (I think that's what they are called) kun, chan, sama and stuff like that. Probably wrong, but that's just how I took it...

This is also what I thought whilst reading it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Vercent said:

I like to think of 'Nimi' as 'Mr' simply because it makes it so much funnier in my head to hear it as 'Mr Sword'.
I doubt this would be the actual interpretation simply because I don't remember anyone in any of the books being referred to as 'mister'.

It'd be "brightlord". Brightlord Sword. Lol.

2 hours ago, 8giraffe8 said:

It'd be "brightlord". Brightlord Sword. Lol.

The lighteyes-darkeyes separation is a vorin thing. There's no reason that Shin culture would have a honorific for a "brightlord". Of course, it's possible it'd be equivalent of vorin "brightlord".

Edited by Ookla the Indefatigable

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:42 AM, Drake Marshall said:

Did someone say bad puns?

You better steel yourself for all the puns about allomancy... I'll tell them to you bold as brass, before I've even got all the details ironed out. What do you 'zinc of them? Personally I'd say they are comedic gold. I'd tell another, but I think my supply is pewtering out.

And if you didn't look carefully, you might have mist some of those.

Those were kolossal. And kind of spooky.

Edited by Sazedezas
EDIT: Oops, didn't mean to double-post

On 6/17/2017 at 7:29 PM, kwirked said:

Emperor's Soul has a heavy Asian influence, but not distinctly Korean per se.  Technically, it was based on a trip Brandon took to Taiwan and while there he visited a museum of the stamps they used to use (with red ink) for signatures.  While Koreans use a similar stamp system (or they used to anyway, it's a little antiquated now) for signatures this isn't strictly a 'Korean' story. They are pretty cool though - if you want to see some copy and paste 도장 into google images and they'll pop right up.

I actually have one of these stamp things, as do all my siblings. My dad got them for us when we were born. They're just our names, but the characters are all mixed up and calligraphy-ized. 

Also Szeth addresses Nin/Nale as "aboshi", which sounds like "abeoji", which is the Korean honorific for father. This seems off to me. Does it mean something in a different language?

• Chaos locked this topic