Sword-Nimi

Farnsworth

1 minute ago, Manukos said:

can i like .... trade you this shiny apple for your copy?

Nah, budgies don't eat apples. Plus I wear braces.
If you want to read it though, you'll probably want to invest in getting AU, I'm not sure if you can get it elsewhere.

@Yata is right. But for those like me who need the comfort of a WoB with these things...

INTERVIEW: Nov 29th, 2016

Old Firehouse books - au tour

(Paraphrased)

QUESTION

Szeth refers to Nightblood as sword-nimi. What is the nimi ending?

BRANDON SANDERSON

It is an honorific

To be fair it is paraphrased, but the recent signing is the source.

11 hours ago, Figberts said:

Anybody know why Szeth refers to Nightblood as "Sword-Nimi?" My original theory was that it was some Shin word, but doesn't Szeth speak Alethi?

Szeth knows Alethi, but he must know other languages too. I don't really think we know which language he was speaking at that point, except that Lift understood it.

On 1/8/2017 at 7:50 PM, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

Have you taken a look at the Cosmere Puns thread yet?

I had no idea this was a thing. I love you and hate you at the same time for showing me this.

Edit: So that was a really fun thread to read. I'm sad it died out though :/ But I suppose wanting it to continue forever is a bit Selish of me.

Edited by 8giraffe8

On 1/8/2017 at 5:38 PM, Yata said:

He calls Nightblood simply "sword" with an honorific....because Nightblood didn't tell him its name yet

And Nightblood isn't even its real name! Fingers crossed that we find out the real name in SA3, although it is more likely that we will have to wait for the Warbreaker sequel :(

Wait — Nightblood isn't Nightblood's real name? What do you mean? What's wrong with Nightblood?

I guess Nazh wasn't enough for old Prudence Nazrilof, so it could be the same with Nightblood.

Edited by Figberts

4 minutes ago, Figberts said:

Wait — Nightblood isn't Nightblood's real name? What do you mean? What's wrong with Nightblood?

I guess Nazh wasn't enough for old Prudence Nazrilof, so it could be the same with Nightblood.

Nightblood had originally another name, but Vasher and his wife changed it when they saw Nightblood's power and the user's look when it is fully used

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, djammmer said:

"nim" is the honorific in Korean (which Sanderson knows)... And attaching "I" at the end of a noun is a grammatical marker in Korean...

putting "nimi" at the end of a proper noun in Korean makes sense.

This is quite interesting. Any idea if Korean-derived language is in other parts of Shin dialect? Aside from general interest in Brandon's linguistic influences I wonder if there is any Shin terminology that can be effectively translated like that and could help figure out more about Shin culture/beliefs.

• 1 month later...
On 09/01/2017 at 10:23 PM, 8giraffe8 said:

I had no idea this was a thing. I love you and hate you at the same time for showing me this.

Edit: So that was a really fun thread to read. I'm sad it died out though :/ But I suppose wanting it to continue forever is a bit Selish of me.

Open another one! There´s not a thing like "too many puns"!
Don´t be Selish, be selfish and distribute bad puns around.