Linux Distros

mfhscoobydoo

On 11/30/2017 at 11:22 PM, Ookla the Metroid said:

Brandon Sanderson and coding two of my favorite worlds colliding? I feel like some sort of new magic system is going to form from this pairing. I had no idea about PlayonLinux I will have to check it out.

Scott meyer, Magic 2.0. Nerds find a file that alters reality, get in trouble, go to the middle ages, and use programming to alter the file and create "spells" and pass themselves of as wizards.

17 hours ago, Ookla the Foxed said:

Scott meyer, Magic 2.0. Nerds find a file that alters reality, get in trouble, go to the middle ages, and use programming to alter the file and create "spells" and pass themselves of as wizards.

That entire series is fantastic. I highly recommend it.

• 7 months later...

If I may reawaken this thread, I'll represent (multilib) Slackware with XFCE.  I had fun experimenting with various distros and software options (mostly through liveCDs) after switching to Linux in '04, but I haven't done much of that since getting comfortable with Slackware (and getting busier).  Even by '05 I didn't bite when a classmate of mine recommended Arch.  (However, he advertised it as 'Slackware with a package manager', which wasn't so compelling given that Slackware already had a couple of package managers by then.)  I think my most recent liveCD is Xubuntu circa '15 or '16, and I no longer have a CD drive to use it.

Adjectives that come to mind include simple, stable and straightforward.  That's pretty much what I'm looking for these days when I don't have the time or inclination (or spare laptop) to experiment, fiddle around, break things, fix them, and so on.  That said, so long as you're comfortable on the command line, the simplicity also provides a lot of flexibility for experimentation.  So, for example, maybe twelve years ago I had some fun building custom kernels rather than just using the defaults, and keeping up with the development ('-current') version.  (I'm back to the stable release and all its defaults now.)

Debian may surpass Slackware and Ubuntu in terms of software freedom, though I see that all three are not endorsed by the FSF.  I had a friend who advocated gNewSense for a fully free distro.

Some things that might be useful if you want to try out Slackware are AlienBOB's multilib setup, Slackbuilds.org, and the slackware-security mailing list.  slackpkg is a useful little utility in the default installation, which (in addition to applying security updates in a matter of seconds) can be used for a full system upgrade in four commands.  I hear that it works similarly to Debian's apt-get.

This looks like a promising Live Edition (also by AlienBOB) if you want to try things out without a full install.