Linux Distros

mfhscoobydoo

Ahh Linux everyone's favorite kernel, we all love it but man we have some disagreement on the distro ;) So here is the place to let off some heat and brag about your skills. I'm going to cut straight to the chase and say I really like the ubuntu architecture, the way the filesystem and package management works is awesome. But I HATE the "Unity" desktop environment it comes stalk with. It is terrible. So usually I use Kubuntu with a dark theme and these icons Dalisha and Papirus

Edited by mfhscoobydoo

I like OpenSuse with KDE myself, but I'll also admit that it has it's problems, like the fact that it's software install program (zypper, kind of like apt-get) and the repositories it connects to have a tendency to miss certain packages, requiring me to either manually install them or use an experimental build from the website that the program normally don't access. This is probably because I use Linux for obscure programming stuff that Windows doesn't offer a lot of support for however, and for normal usage it is quite nice.

P.S.
It probably also doesn't help that I'm running it through Virtual Box, because trying to get past the weird install stuff with my PC's UEFI is storming annoying, to the point that it always hangs before even loading the setup. I will stop here, before I go on an UEFI and Secure Boot rant.

Probably a good thing you haven't started on that, Also im pretty sure openSUSE and ubuntu both have secure boot licenses wich means you should probably be able to dual boot with either of those distros even with UEFI But I havent really had to deal with that yet, cuz I like to build my PC's but I will defenitly look into bypassing it, as its something very VERY STORMING annoying :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2017 at 6:29 PM, mattig89ch said:

I have a preferance of Ubuntu of the KDE ui.  Or the Mint UI.

Though I have to admit, I don't have it as a primary OS on any machine I own.

I'm a PC gamer, and you just can't play as many titles on Linux, as you can on Windows.

You Have tried PlayOnLinux Right?

On 1/24/2017 at 4:15 PM, mfhscoobydoo said:

PlayOnLinux is a companion program for wine specifically designed for gaming, the software sets up wine in a way that allows for a lot of games to run on it that would otherwise fail.

That would have been so handy 10 years go.

I've used linux as a server os in the past.  As far as I know, the apache server I setup for a library (back in 2006), is still running their site.  And I have setup a DHCP linux box for my home use (for practice, ran it for a week, then killed it).  But as a primary os, for my main machine, I haven't done so yet.

I also don't like gnome's minimalistic aproach to a ui.  I get why they did it that way, to encourage you to use the CLI.  But for the average user, not having a powerful ui, to easily use is a definite turn off.

• 3 months later...

Currently running Elementary OS. It's been amazing. Ubuntu based, so I get all the perks of the file system and package system. The UI is loosely based on iOS, with a blank and a taskbar on top and stuff, but it runs great. And I get to keep Windows as a dual boot for a couple nasty programs that just don't like Linux.

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently installed Mint on my PC. I like it, but it is also a mess. I don't know how big \home directory should be (mine is like 70 GB), how big root directory should be, what about the other ones. As a newbie, it took me hours to install my first program, I think it was TeXmaker (Mint has LyX I think), and even then there were new problems, like texmaker saying log file not found. In windows there was a solution available, but for linux I didn't even know where to begin.

I tried making a bootable Win 7 usb there, and again problem, UNetBootin won't recognise my USB (it was mounted btw). 

My mom has her own problems. Being a big Candy Crush player, she couldn't do it on Linux, somehow there's some Adobe Flash problem with it. I tried to install Chrome, but mine is 32-bit OS. 

In windows you can copy paste a file anywhere, but in Mint, I tried one drive (not the root one), but the option wasn't available. 

It automatically locks down when left idle (which is obvious), but when typing correct username and password, there was no change. It took me a good solid hour to work around this.

And worst of all is the support system on the net. You have a problem, you look on mint forums, and they give you some codes for terminal, which work like black magic. I have sudo app install command pasted on my monitor.

I think almost all of my problems are because of my inexperience (never used linux before), and some tinkering with it won't hurt much. But some book or reference will definitely be helpful. For starters, I have the official mint one with me.

2 minutes ago, Hood said:

I have recently installed Mint on my PC. I like it, but it is also a mess. I don't know how big \home directory should be (mine is like 70 GB), how big root directory should be, what about the other ones. As a newbie, it took me hours to install my first program, I think it was TeXmaker (Mint has LyX I think), and even then there were new problems, like texmaker saying log file not found. In windows there was a solution available, but for linux I didn't even know where to begin.

I tried making a bootable Win 7 usb there, and again problem, UNetBootin won't recognise my USB (it was mounted btw). 

My mom has her own problems. Being a big Candy Crush player, she couldn't do it on Linux, somehow there's some Adobe Flash problem with it. I tried to install Chrome, but mine is 32-bit OS. 

In windows you can copy paste a file anywhere, but in Mint, I tried one drive (not the root one), but the option wasn't available. 

It automatically locks down when left idle (which is obvious), but when typing correct username and password, there was no change. It took me a good solid hour to work around this.

And worst of all is the support system on the net. You have a problem, you look on mint forums, and they give you some codes for terminal, which work like black magic. I have sudo app install command pasted on my monitor.

I think almost all of my problems are because of my inexperience (never used linux before), and some tinkering with it won't hurt much. But some book or reference will definitely be helpful. For starters, I have the official mint one with me.

I've been a strong Linux user for a while now, and to be honest I don't think mint is the most user-friendly, they have tinkered with the file system to the point where you can't just look for an Ubuntu tutorial. Personally, I would recommend Kubuntu or Zorin. But Linux definitely takes getting used to. Anywho if you need any help, just go ahead and message me.

I'm an Archlinux / XFCE user.  I like having the freedom to configure everything my way from the start, and xfce is lightweight enough that it gets out of my way and doesn't hog too many resources (which is less of an issue now that I'm no longer trying to use a raspberry pi as a desktop)

13 hours ago, The Voiceless One said:

I use Debian with LXDE.  I can't stand the new UI on the raspberry pi.  Is there a way to change it to something different while sticking to the Raspian OS?

I think so.  The RPi foundation puts out a Raspbian Lite without the UI stuff, so you could install something else on top of that.

On 10/23/2017 at 6:00 PM, The Voiceless One said:

I use Debian with LXDE.  I can't stand the new UI on the raspberry pi.  Is there a way to change it to something different while sticking to the Raspian OS?

I thought you could use any OS you wanted, on a raspberry PI.  The only requirement was it needing to be compiled a certain way.  Is this not the case?

52 minutes ago, mattig89ch said:

I thought you could use any OS you wanted, on a raspberry PI.  The only requirement was it needing to be compiled a certain way.  Is this not the case?

That's correct, it just has to be compiled for ARM.  Mine all run Arch, and I've heard you can even install Windows on them *shudder*

1 minute ago, anna said:

That's correct, it just has to be compiled for ARM.  Mine all run Arch, and I've heard you can even install Windows on them *shudder*

I've heard that too.  Its the version of windows w/out the UI though.  Just the CLI to mess around with.  Now the question becomes, why would you want to use only the CLI of windows?

Just now, mattig89ch said:

I've heard that too.  Its the version of windows w/out the UI though.  Just the CLI to mess around with.  Now the question becomes, why would you want to use only the CLI of windows?

My guess would be people who just want to run it as a headless web / database server, but don't want to use Linux for some reason (interoperability with other computers, probably?)

On 10/26/2017 at 8:22 AM, mattig89ch said:

:huh: Does apache have problems with compatibility?

I'm not sure.  I was thinking that Windows might have an easy way to connect to other Windows machines, but not necessarily other operating systems.

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:39 AM, mfhscoobydoo said:

Ahh Linux everyone's favorite kernel, we all love it but man we have some disagreement on the distro ;) So here is the place to let off some heat and brag about your skills. I'm going to cut straight to the chase and say I really like the ubuntu architecture, the way the filesystem and package management works is awesome. But I HATE unity. It is terrible. So usually I use Kubuntu with a dark theme and these icons Dalisha and Papirus

Wait.... You hate Unity? As in Unity3d? What type of programming universe do you live in? It's terrible for things that are not games, but it's amazing at what it's good for. That said, I am a hobbyist rather than a professional, so take whatever I saw with a grain of salt :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Ookla the maladroit said:

Wait.... You hate Unity? As in Unity3d? What type of programming universe do you live in? It's terrible for things that are not games, but it's amazing at what it's good for. That said, I am a hobbyist rather than a professional, so take whatever I saw with a grain of salt :rolleyes:

No  no no I love the unity engine, I'm talking about the desktop environment from canonical, the clunkiest piece of crap ever ( worse than windows )

(I edited the post you where talking about for clarification.)

Edited by mfhscoobydoo

1 minute ago, mfhscoobydoo said:

No  no no I love the unity engine, I'm talking about the desktop environment from canonical, the clunkiest piece of crap ever ( worse than windows )

Luckily, it's going away soon: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/ubuntu-unity-is-dead-desktop-will-switch-back-to-gnome-next-year/