Habits and quirks

Quiver

So...do you guys have any odd little tics that you do? 

Speaking personally... I have a tendency to juggle things a lot. :ph34r: Well, sort of. If I'm carrying something in one hand - like a glass, a remote, a piece of food - I have a tendency to toss them into the air and catch them. Is a very bad habit I try to restrain to un-breakables only.

(I used to carry a coin around and flip it a lot when I was in school. Kind of grew out of that thanks to my OCD tendencies)

I tend to "type" movie/TV dialogue on my legs, as if on an imaginary keyboard, while I watch. (I guess this is a sign that I spend too much time on the computer! XD)

Sometimes while listening to music, I "finger" the melody as I would if I were playing it on an oboe, the instrument I played in high school band class.

Something that I just started doing in the past few years is humming almost constantly. There's always a song playing in my head, and I have a really hard time not letting it out.

37 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

Sometimes while listening to music, I "finger" the melody as I would if I were playing it on an oboe, the instrument I played in high school band class.

Something that I just started doing in the past few years is humming almost constantly. There's always a song playing in my head, and I have a really hard time not letting it out.

I do both of these things, too...except the instrument I ghost-finger is a piano, not an oboe. Even though I haven't played piano seriously in almost a year now.

Also, I'll randomly catch myself tapping the Master's four-drumbeat sequence when I'm not paying attention to what I'm doing. No other rhythms, just that one...

Just now, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

Also, I'll randomly catch myself tapping the Master's four-drumbeat sequence when I'm not paying attention to what I'm doing. No other rhythms, just that one...

Quick, call the Doctor!!

Just now, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

I do both of these things, too...except the instrument I ghost-finger is a piano, not an oboe. Even though I haven't played piano seriously in almost a year now.

I'll do drumlines to songs stuck in my head, guitar riffs, whatever. I get easily distracted.

I tap my nails. My fingernails on my right hand are long, and fairly strong, so I've found I can make quite a loud, annoying sound even when I do it as a habit.
I'll also hum if I have a song stuck in my head, although sometimes I'll try not to if it's a weird song.

I hum all sorts of songs. Usually, I'll hum The Bluecoats's show from 2014, T/LT. Sometimes I'll tap it with my fingers. I especially like to try tapping the trumpet features from the opener. 

When im sitting down, most of the time I'll bounce my leg (usually my right one, but on occasion it'll be my left). I do this because it's like an urge, almost like an itch. The best way for me to describe it is like when you're holding in your pee, then you finally get to go...except less gross, and not as much of a pleasure aspect to it (don't judge me XD).

When I'm bored (heck, even when I'm not bored), if my hands aren't currently doing something, they'll find an object and do something to it, like twirl a pencil around my fingers, or bend a paperclip, or simply just mess with the two bracelets I wear on my right arm. If there's no object to do that with, make shapes with my fingers, or grab my fingers and position them so that the tips of all my fingers are in line.

Edited by StrikerEZ

I tend to fidget a bit, I rarely hold a pen still if I'm not writing with it which naturally results in getting a lot of ink on my hand. Or I'd fiddle with an eraser or metal pencil sharpener.

Most of that isn't terribly satisfying though, so partly for that reason I taught myself to roll a coin across my knuckles. It took a lot of practice but it's immensely satisfying, I keep a coin sitting on my desk specifically for doing that. (The other main reason I learned it was for when my Mistborn RPG players run into a coinshot ;) )

I crack my knuckles a lot. As in, whenever it's possible to crack them. I've gotten to the point where I don't just do the joint connecting my hand to finger, but also then second joint on the finger. Because I crack my knuckles so much, I've developed some very flexible fingers.

Spoiler

image.jpeg

As a downside, I have a hard time drawing hands, because looking at my own for reference doesn't help me draw normal looking ones.

I bite things. Normally I wear sweatshirts so I bite the strings by the hood until they fray, and if I'm not wearing a sweatshirt I'll either bite the chain I wear on my neck or bite my fingers till they bleed. I have some small scars. I also have a habit of talking really quickly when I get nervous, and my pitch generally gets higher (this is actually SUPER recent). I normally have what most people consider an extremely deep voice but over the course of a conversation I start to hit my upper registers without thinking.

I also generally look incredibly bored. It's not you, I'm just staring at something nonexistent.

3 hours ago, The Honor Spren said:

I crack my knuckles a lot. As in, whenever it's possible to crack them. I've gotten to the point where I don't just do the joint connecting my hand to finger, but also then second joint on the finger. Because I crack my knuckles so much, I've developed some very flexible fingers.

Hide contents

image.jpeg

As a downside, I have a hard time drawing hands, because looking at my own for reference doesn't help me draw normal looking ones.

That doesn't hurt? :o

I used to crack my knuckles but my hand joints got really sore. So I stopped and the pain went away. Funny how that works :P

12 hours ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

That doesn't hurt? :o

I used to crack my knuckles but my hand joints got really sore. So I stopped and the pain went away. Funny how that works :P

Nope. :) I can also do other weird stuff, like bend my thumb so that both joints are at about a 90 degree angle, but I'll spare you the pictures.

7 hours ago, Nashan'Elin said:

I can never climb stairs one at a time. It's just such a habit for me to take stairs two or three at a time, I've started taking two stairs at a time going down stairs as well. I don't know why I started, it's just something I do for fun ^_^

Only two stairs on the way down? I usually take 4+

3 hours ago, Shqueeves said:

Only two stairs on the way down? I usually take 4+

Pfft. I usually run on the way down taking every second or third step and then I jump off the last thousand ten wait this sounds like a lot of steps six steps. Hm. I'm not sure. I do the jump lenghtening it by holding on to the rail but I never bothered to count them.

I used to climb stairs using my hands as well as feet. I don't mean holding onto a handrail; I mean like putting my hands on the steps and walking up quadripedally.

Actually, I still do sometimes... really, only when I'm at my parents' house where the stairs are carpeted and probably less germ-infested than most public staircases.