[Edgedancer spoilers] Alethi man

Sarevok

During Lift's visit to Yeddaw, among all the other people she sees, she descibes an Alethi man in the city, towering over the people around him. For some reason this seemed to me like Brandon screaming "Look, there's something interesting to find here!" However, I can't think of an Alethi man we're aware of who might currently be hanging around in western kingdoms. Anyone have an idea?

3 hours ago, Sarevok said:

During Lift's visit to Yeddaw, among all the other people she sees, she descibes an Alethi man in the city, towering over the people around him. For some reason this seemed to me like Brandon screaming "Look, there's something interesting to find here!" However, I can't think of an Alethi man we're aware of who might currently be hanging around in western kingdoms. Anyone have an idea?

I don't think it is anyone special. 

If he'd described more details I might buy it. Like, if he'd been branded or was wearing special colours or whatnot. That's a scream or a notice. 

I think it's just to show there's a flow of people around the world.

• 4 months later...

Yes, but once you start down that path discussion devolves pretty quickly because it's not hard to find reasons to imagine that pretty much anyone could be a worldhopper based on apperance cues. It's like ASoIaF where you could argue that anyone we see is really a Faceless Man pretending to be someone else; possible and maybe even entertaining, but not really enlightening. :D

Nah, when Brandon wants us to know someone's a worldhopper he usually has them say or do something that stands out. Like 'Zahel' using lots of color metaphors and getting obviously frustrated that they don't translate well, or Galladon's speech pattern when he shows up in WoK as 'Grump', or Mraize with his trophy wall of Significant Things (even if he's native to the world he's then on it's still a clue he's been off it).

On 11.05.2017 at 1:44 AM, Weltall said:

Nah, when Brandon wants us to know someone's a worldhopper he usually has them say or do something that stands out. Like 'Zahel' using lots of color metaphors and getting obviously frustrated that they don't translate well, or Galladon's speech pattern when he shows up in WoK as 'Grump', or Mraize with his trophy wall of Significant Things (even if he's native to the world he's then on it's still a clue he's been off it).

Except the Terriswoman in Warbreaker :P

• Chaos locked this topic