Real-life Personalities

Assassin in Burgundy

52 minutes ago, aeromancer said:

when, in actuality, it's highly regarded in the psychological field, and a very useful baseline, that annoys some people. Like me. It's why I like Jasnah as a character, and don't like Wayne. 

Your favorite character is obviously Yomen, though.

I was looking up on MBTI criticism to link you, but I have better things to do than read psychology articles and argue on the internet. Believe what you want, I don't care, I have horror to write.

25 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

I'm a firm believer in the idea that internet and social media culture has created a space for people to very easily put forward a persona that is not who they really are and I'm not a big fan of this. Internet anonymity is a thing that I feel overall hurts society in general (not saying it's all bad, but the trend is generally moving in that direction).

That said, I make a conscious effort to present myself (thoughts, emotions, ideals, personality, speech) as I really am. No pretension, no facade, no BS. Just me. I find it much easier to deal with people when coming from a place of honesty and forthrightness. So yeah. What you see is what you get, all joking about being a sapient beard aside. ;)

I finding I can be more myself on the internet in some ways. Since one of you know me IRL I don't have to worry how you'll look at me if I have an unpopular opinion or say something that's nothing like who you think I am. That being said I do kinda have a persona here but it's possibly more true to who I want to be than how I act IRL. Maybe. Aside from specific issues, I don't really know how to divide my "personas". And there's classic yknow things you'd say to your friends but not your parents or a joke/side of you you'd only share with a particular person or group and you're not the same person at work and at an interview and with friends .....people are complex yo. 

Edited by Deliiiiiightful

Just now, Deliiiiiightful said:

I finding I can be more myself on the internet in some ways. Since one of you know me IRL I don't have to worry how you'll look at me if I have an unpopular opinion or say something that's nothing like who you think I am. That being said I do kinda have a persona here but it's possibly more true to who I want to be than how I act IRL. Maybe. Aside from specific issues, I don't really know how to divide my "personas". And there's classic yknow things you'd say to your friends but not your parents or a joke/side of you you'd only share with a particular person or group and you're not the same person at work and at an interview and with friends .....people are complex yo. 

Yo.

9 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

Your favorite character is obviously Yomen, though.

Yomen's not bad, actually. Very practical. Horrible as a protagonist, of course, but that's why he isn't. He probably would make in on my MIstborn top 10 list. (Sazed and Steris are both better, though)

10 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

I was looking up on MBTI criticism to link you, but I have better things to do than read psychology articles and argue on the internet. Believe what you want, I don't care, I have horror to write.

Well, some basic criticism can be found here and here, and if you like horror, I recently read an excellent novel that can be found here, though most of the horror in Scythe is in the setting.

15 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

I've actually been to seminars where the instructor advocated for using Myers-Briggs as a hiring tool, with a pretty strong undertone of, "I mean, you don't want to hire introverts, do you?"  Gee, thanks, Guy Whose Background is Aggressive Sales.  Watch out, your personal bias is showing.  (This is the same guy who also stood up there and told us that participation in team sports is a more important item on a resume than actual qualifications and job experience.  I was not impressed.)

Good luck finding good engineers/programmers or any other professional whose field is dominated by introverts... In those fields being an introvert actually helps IMO. I pity the company this guy works for.

4 hours ago, Mestiv said:

Good luck finding good engineers/programmers or any other professional whose field is dominated by introverts... In those fields being an introvert actually helps IMO. I pity the company this guy works for.

Yeah, he was kind of an idiot.  (He works for a company that specifically does training seminars for people, so this is basically all he does.  Travel around and tell people things.)  I mean, he was a dynamic instructor, which was good for keeping people engaged, but he had some really screwball tangents he went off on.  I'm like, dude, storm you, I'm an introvert and am a highly valued person at my workplace.  (I mean, presumably they wouldn't have promoted me into management if they didn't value my work.)

On 12/23/2016 at 10:20 AM, The Invested Beard said:

LOL I work in IT, there's nothing but introverts here. Well, there's a few people who work directly with the clients that aren't, but all of us people behind the scenes are pretty awkward.

I worked for 2 days with an Extrovert IT guy.  he wasn't a bad guy, but he was loud.  I couldn't take 8 hours of dealing with him, so I left the company

• 5 weeks later...

In real life, I am known for my sarcasm, puns, constant reading and my catchphrase of "I am a stick" (I do not lie on this, and only one of my friends actually gets it). But, my thought patterns come out far more randomly, and I am very bad at interpreting social situations. So, pretty much, just imagine online me, but more random and less socially skilled.

Over the internet, you can stop and think something through. There are no awkward pauses on a forum.

In real life, I come across as supremely sarcastic by saying things to the effect of "Magnificent!" "Fascinating!" ""Do tell me more!"

This isn't sarcasm - this is my brain trying to make more time to come up with an appropriate response. Because my brain assumes that the correct response to "I've got eight hours left for an essay that I've procrastinated for a full week, and now I kind of want to die" is to proclaim "MAGNIFICENT!"

Thankfully, I'm surrounded by cynics who take it as a joke. Basically, I make sarcastic static while my brain tries to come up with things to say.

On 12/19/2016 at 6:30 AM, AngelEy3 said:

I feel as if my text is more my true self than my speech ever is.

This. Just this.

I write way more than I speak. On one hand, I get to look smugly at someone when they ask me to stop and define a word I used. On the other, well... writing is a multi-draft process. If you don't like how a sentence looks, you are literally a button press away from removing the offending part from existence and starting fresh. You can change individual words after you finish the sentence, which for me at least means my first drafts are always rather chaotic. I can always edit them later.

For actual conversations, though...

My brain uses basically the same mindset for writing and talking. On paper, I can conjure an exquisitely written argument to dazzle the eyes and convince the mind. In speech, I just sort of flail about using words that are vaguely related to the point I'm trying to get across in order to give myself time to think of the best way to proceed. I used to stutter doing this, which has more recently been replaced by the more bearable Um and its two siblings, But and Well See Here, and the red-headed stepchild of The Point I'm Trying To Make You See Is As Follows.

To summarize, I use semi-sarcastic delaying tactics to improvise a script line by line when I have conversations with people I'm not completely comfortable with. Makes everything from checkouts to flirting to submitting assignments far more storming difficult than it has to be.

Edited by The lazy anarchist

My friends at school describe me as following:

A nice person who will occasionally and unexpectedly become sardonic. Such outbursts are short and incredibly amusing to the surrounding people as they watch a normally passive person roast someone. (I don't think people think it's 'incredibly amusing', instead surprising)

I consider myself as such:

A nerd who likes to talk about things he likes, often going on for an extended amount of time. Also, a person that is introverted in public, but will become quite talkative and active in good company. When in bouts of rambling, I speak with my hands and pace back and forth. I also think of myself as a nice, caring person that refrains from targeting and harming others (unless they are my siblings, but that's normal) and seeks to gain knowledge. I also think of myself as a good dancer. Others might disagree.

In my math class I've been described as the savior of the class for my level headedness and unending sass. I don't know how those go together exactly, but apparently I come off as more level headed than most high schoolers. 

Around family or strangers that I'm uncomfortable with, I'm very quiet. I listen a lot, I insert a joke or two, that's about it. 

With my closest friends I'm also somewhat quiet because I enjoy focusing on them and not me. 

For any group that I'm comfortable in that I haven't already mentioned, I'm usually a strong presence. I might be the leader or not, but usually I'm making people laugh, planning something, getting into in depth nerd conversations, or doing something else where I can be an active participant. 

I spend the majority of my time during the day alone doing schoolwork or lifeguardibg or reading/netflixing/gaming or working out by myself. When I am in a social situation I generally take advantage of it and really love hanging out. 

Depending on who I'm with I can be Hoid/shallan level sassy/quipy or pretty soft spoken. 

I love driving and I love rolling the windows down and blaring classic and blues rock with a mix of modern pop and soft rock. 

I cut my hair myself and do a lot of my own cooking and laundry and help with grocery shopping. I'm not really model material, but I'm good enough looking that I've been asked by other straight guys for a dance ;) 

i am very religious, and I've gotten a very good education. When I start college I'll almost have enough credits from AP classes to be a sophomore, and I've tried to cover a lot of fields of study. Probably you'd notice both my religion and my knowledge cause I think I'm probably louder about both than I need to be( although as an on average quiet person that's still not as much as many people). 

You'd probably not even remember me if you only met me once, because I hold back s lot. The more I'm around people though, the more I get involved, and we'll probably end up at least loose friends :)

Ah, how to describe the awkward amalgamation of anxiety and confusion that encompass my physical form?

I use a lot of big words. People seem to think I"m being pretentious but I swear I'm not. I love words! They're fun to play around with!

I don't really speak much, honestly. Unless it's on a subject I feel very passionately about. In the real world I spend a worrying amount of time sitting in front of a laptop with a hearty glass of milk writing essays about early American history for no apparent reason.

According to people I know, I look on top of things most of the time, but it hides a storm of internal screaming about that essay I need to write for English beneath the surface.

I also like dogs.

In real life, I'm a kind of physical person. Not painful or anything, I just give a lot of little fake punches to people, put my arm around them, that kind of thing. I also tend to talk with a lot of contractions, and text using them as well. It's weird, I'll text with correct grammar, spelling, capitaliziation, but in my texts I'll use y'all, y'know, kinda, things like that. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm part school nerd, part local bluntness and sass master, and part relationship counselor. I got a 36 on the ACT as a sophomore, and I'm in 3 AP classes right now as a junior, so I've got that nerd reputation. But I'm also that guy who makes sassy comments during class just loud enough for my neighbors to hear. I have a reputation among my friends as the blunt one, and so when they need an honest opinion about things like relationships they come to me for advice, making me the most unskilled relationship counselor ever. My speech is made up of a mix of big words (used inadvertently), but among my friends I often mimic the local slang as a joke. I'm an unashamed grammar Nazi. I go on a few dates, but rarely with the same person. However, that doesn't stop some of my schoolmates from seeing me talking to girls (I'm an inadvertent flirt, apparently) and thinking I'm in relationships. Awkward!

I am really weird and geeky. I tend to laugh alot and when I am alone I get weirder because no one can see me. I do things like answering myself and talking out loud. That just make me who I am I here voices in my head and smoke and snuff too much. I am mostly alone my whole day so that gets kind of lonely:S

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/02/2017 at 2:06 AM, randalthor said:

I am really weird and geeky. I tend to laugh alot and when I am alone I get weirder because no one can see me. I do things like answering myself and talking out loud. That just make me who I am I here voices in my head and smoke and snuff too much. I am mostly alone my whole day so that gets kind of lonely:S

I can relate to that. Honestly, the only time I talk is when I'm on the shard or on the SE discord channel. 

• Chaos locked this topic